Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

9 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Nice one.. if my new mirkin gets to me fri, then I'm going at it hammer & tongs over wknd.

Can you remind me, not sure if I asked specifically b4, what am I priming the -bare- pB with again, once my plaster areas on it are all sanded flush?

Appreciated- zoot

Didn't we suggest Leyland Super Leytex? Or even the No Nonsense one.

Ok got the no-nonsense 'bare plaster' stuff. I just hope to god its ok to apply onto bare plasterboard as most of my 2 walls are.. I googled stuff for priming bare pB but there's little info/ nothing specifically for it.

Prior to this Im having a major headache- dust. Ive tried the mirka & only a small ammount of dust is being collected, it clogs very badly & proving near completetely ineffective too/ my tops & the walls are covered in fine dust/ finest Ive ever seen. its dreadful (Im demanding my money back- the hose near impossible to fit onto the sander.. & some terrible designed end > onto a std dia vac hose isn't even possible, as it can only be designed to fit onto. so gaffered it on but still ng).

So how do I remove all this dust from the pB's? I cant sponge surely as the surface barely takes a drop of water its so fallible. I cant brush as the dust is so fine I need major protective stuff, & it'll cover my kitchen too. I may have to vac inch by inch. godammit.

Sounds like your hoover is the issue. I used the Mirka sander upside down on a ceiling on my vac and impressed is an understatement.

Didn't you already say your vac blows more dust than it sucks?

Sounds like inch by inch then!

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Sounds like your hoover is the issue

Didn't you already say your vac blows more dust than it sucks?

Sounds like inch by inch then!

That is asking for an inappropriate quip.

But I shall restrain myself, as the Bishop said to...

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

That is asking for an inappropriate quip.

But I shall restrain myself, as the Bishop said to...

Ha ha, I was waiting for someone to bite on that! Ouch ?

Sorry @zoothorn I think you are going to need to suck it up and get on with it ?

9 hours ago, zoothorn said:

So how do I remove all this dust from the pB's? I cant sponge surely as the surface barely takes a drop of water its so fallible. I cant brush as the dust is so fine I need major protective stuff, & it'll cover my kitchen too. I may have to vac inch by inch. godammit.

A very well wrung out cloth would not wet the surface but should remove the dust

42 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

A very well wrung out cloth would not wet the surface but should remove the dust

Ah yes the damp cloth method sounds like a plan.

Of course us blokes would never have thought of that, you ladies being better versed in the dark arts of cleaning! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Ah yes the damp cloth method sounds like a plan.

Of course us blokes would never have thought of that, you ladies being better versed in the dark arts of cleaning! :ph34r:

Yeah Well We have to be. ...

Right Ive cooled down.. but the Vax (not the belching one) is pretty potent, checked all inc bag's ok.. hose hangs off my hand upside down/ engine strains, usually a sign all working ok: but I get your point; it may need some more clout than just a 'house' vac. Itsa henry size/ power/ type tho.. a bit ballsier usually than a house vac.

Anyway to crack on: ok I'll try a very well wrung cloth. dammit Id hoped my new mirkin would do me for my 2 big pB bedroom jobs in the spring.

14 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hang on. the kitchen stuff stops. for this 50-pages-musical-interlude. now..

Still on the drugs then? :)

I've heard some shit in my time but this takes the top prize...

• Haha 1

I take that as a major compliment! then check this out.. you'll hate it even more

(seriously when music like this comes out the blue pretty much everything stops. 17 & 19 yrs old brothers. nothing as fresh since deerhoof.. you'll love that too btw!)

Actually it looks like Ive gone back to bare pB again! cr*p pics/ light.. so I'll redo with flash.

Really glad that 2/3rds over with. But Ive still alot to start on the other side now, not just below top stuff. 2 walls need huge prep/ hard work, then 2 new high cupboards, with an extractor between (poss thinking 3 new units), a new hob to fit in new top, prior to this all cabinets & oven to strip out, clean & reconfigure as the oven needs to sit down 4" to have room to fit any new hob above. Then all cupboard doors to paint, a corner cupboard to fit (above gaggia), cupboard below strips to add, skirting, heater back on.. then lino to replace. And yes a step for the fridge to sit on too.

I'm probably only 1/2 way through, at best 2/3rds. But its a huge imprrovement that I never thought I'd be able to do all this. The proof of the primary job, the wall insulation additions, will be in the coming cold snap. I'm hoping to see a fraction of improvement in the 'feel' to this ice-cold kitchen, & my previous conclusion was premature that there seemed to be no difference.. major fingers x'd.

Looks much lighter than before. The wood worktop is tons better than the old dark tiled affair, and I bet all your efforts have stopped the draughts that must have been around the windows and that mouse sized hole where the waste pipe went out of the wall. Quite apart from stopping Mickey from coming and going as he pleased. 

My cam falls short in the colour dept, & a sunny room so tricky to pic..  but its a light, warm green sort of 70's colour (vg for listening to my new fav band the Lemon Twigs in). Well now Mickey the little assh*le, now he cant get in me pipe hole, went round/ in my front door, up stairs, & now munching the foam gaps around/ above main room edges causing much horrible & continuous scratching. what an assh*le.

I'm very happy with my kitchen thus far- its now a pleasure to be in. seriously chaps, thanks a heap y'all!

I think one last mid-term joyous musical interlude- then its onto major prep wall 3 & 4 this wknd.

Kitchen looks good. Nice attention to detail from what I can make out. At least those subway tiles are wipe clean when you cover it in dust doing the other two walls.

Get those other external gaps sorted though! 

Camera looks crap like mine! :)

Edited by Onoff

Chaps,

if you would please: I need more ideas on how the heck to remove this paint residue. Pic below. Ive tried the mirkin & I can't make use of it: everything in kitchen ~& me covered in awful fine dust. it won't pick up this square of thin card here, or any of the dust fallen off the wall here, if I rest the handy thing directly onto it- so s'thing ain't right.. it seems it may only work if you buy the vac for it.. which isn't how its marketed, IMO).

Ive tried: scraper, too stuck firm & so ages to remove 1sq inch/ unviable. Sanding: even with p80 its still too stuck firm, & dust a major issue. Its jsut prominenty enough to be seen if I leave it on, annoyingly or I'd just paint over.

Any decorators out there? or anyone you know who is I could PM directly?

Thanks zoot