Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

Great help thanks! I do like an onoff sketch in the morning..

Ok the thing I don't have, are both pB tapers @ the corner areas, where the reveal meets wall pB's. Both window reveals similar.

So adding the plaster bead will cause a nasty step. I recall you saying I could feather-in this, back to the pB face (assuming I'm only filling the screw holes/ sanding flush/ = pB's done & prepped for painting: is that the grand-plan idea?**)

I think I might do away with the tiling corner trims: although neater, I think a -major- faff for me to get right 1st time (especially the corner pieces). I used grout carefully moulded (& a quick job) to finish off edges of my bathroom tiles fine, in a 45* slope.. so could do same across the corner junction of the tiles (leaving a gap > fill with grout into a neat 45* angle).. & on the tops like my bathroom tiles. Maybe preferable to placcy too-?

Can you just remind me though what the bigger picture is, re. **finishing off the pB itself? the last upper 3rd of reveals will still be bare pB.. & top too: I think its sensible to finish off these bits before tiling maybe, as you alluded to?

If anyone's still actually alive reading this, ie not committed hari-kari..

Can the inside top of the reveal be tiled-? can tiles hold on upside down?

I've thought of a way to reduce the faff of adding the upright corner pB metal strips (which in turn rules out the 'step' on the main pB wall face).. by tiling -all- the reveal 2 sides, plus above bit, right up to the main wall edge. If I use the grey adhesive right up to edge, adding it to the cut pB edges.

Then I can just neatly fill/ finish off with grout. Then the main pB face can be painted right up to this edge. Is this a feasable idea? or do these cut pB edges need more 'suring up' than my tile adhesive + grout idea?

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

If anyone's still actually alive reading this, ie not committed hari-kari..

Can the inside top of the reveal be tiled-? can tiles hold on upside down?

I've thought of a way to reduce the faff of adding the upright corner pB metal strips (which in turn rules out the 'step' on the main pB wall face).. by tiling -all- the reveal 2 sides, plus above bit, right up to the main wall edge. If I use the grey adhesive right up to edge, adding it to the cut pB edges.

Then I can just neatly fill/ finish off with grout. Then the main pB face can be painted right up to this edge. Is this a feasable idea? or do these cut pB edges need more 'suring up' than my tile adhesive + grout idea?

No problem tiling the underside of the reveal. You just prop it all up whilst it's drying with battens etc.

If you're confident of finishing the edges like that, without trim then go for it.

Just trimming my pockets now as it happens...

Shoot.. was hoping I wasn't going to need to prop xyz tiles up, this will be a major logistical job. I do have small brick 20x10 cm tiles.. so maybe, just maybe might be small enough to behave themselves up there w'out muggins interferring with any battens. Will do a test.

Yes I'm going to have to be confident & do tile edges like so Onoff (now you've said its NOT such a daft idea): even if not perfect it'll be fine for me, here, if I put the effort in to get tile edges as best I can prior to finishing off. fingers x'd a bit tho..  but beats putting that edging on. I was dreading doing this & feathering out with plaster/ a job too far for me.

Ok tiling bonanza afternoon commences. lordy.. Ive been making every excuse not to do this for 2 weeks!!

15 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Shoot.. was hoping I wasn't going to need to prop xyz tiles up, this will be a major logistical job.

You managed to prop before ... (see link)

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/6169-help-with-kitchen-renovation-1st-house/?do=findComment&comment=111772

Note the progress you've made too from back then ... 

Hi Newhome.. I did but that was one piece of stuff stiff enough held by 2 major pressure points, & was a pig of a job to get up as its a looong above sill bit- this needs the same plus a plank on top. It'll be a disaster if I even try it. I'm crossing that bridge last anyway/ tile everything else 1st.

29 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi Newhome.. I did but that was one piece of stuff stiff enough held by 2 major pressure points, & was a pig of a job to get up as its a looong above sill bit- this needs the same plus a plank on top. It'll be a disaster if I even try it. I'm crossing that bridge last anyway/ tile everything else 1st.

I reckon with a bit of imagination you could cut a bit of board the exact size of the underside of the reveal, lay the tiles on it face down, suitably spaced and held in place around the edge then lift and prop the whole thing up in one hit. Please post pics if you try it! :)

Update (paid work sudden influx/ hence delay to posts apologies.. not done a huge lot since either!)

Good suggestions chaps- went with the board idea up quick after tiles whacked on underside.. seemed the way: so tiled the trickier kitchen side.

001.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 4

Wow, that looks great. Love the tile choice too. Goes really well with the worktop. It’s really starting to look good now. You must be pleased now that you’re on the home straight and your efforts are paying off. 

Hey thanks- actually altho I took fkn'ages with the prep, I just couldn't be arsed to jump in & do it.. for a week or 2.. until I forced meself then went crazy-bonkers-tile-blitz each section, way too fast, with an enormous break of X days between sections saying 'I can't be arsed' alot = lord knows how many wrong cuts/ fouled tiles, bits galore, swearing/ shouting, cockups et al!

Oh & biggest mistake.. bought wrong grout colour, muppet. I thought I was certain my bathroom tile job (big tiles > fast job in comparison) I used 'jasmine' mapei grout. Nope. I used white. Godammit.. but once started & next day hadn't cured to 'offwhite' as I expected.. I'm stuck doing rest of tiles the same. Its growing on me tho; its a deep cream coloured grout (I didnt want grey- too "industrial" for here with the wood), & once the cab doors all painted cream -which I'll try & match to- should all fall into place ~ok.

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Seriously go to the start of this thread and see how much you where all over place trying to figure out basic stuff and then look at that pic. Leaps and bounds.

Well done for sticking at it.

Yes indeed, I dare not go back & look now I'm on the downslope! cheers Declan.

Jasmine suits the look anyway I think and as you say once you have painted the doors cream it will blend right in. Pure white is a bitch to keep clean anyway so you’ve probably done yourself a favour. 

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That is a proper tidy job - well done that man ..!!

I am a bit of an annoying perfectionist, I annoy myself often, but useful for my paid work (guitar cabinetry) & for the finish touches to this job: I must say the worktops have a lovely 'pro-silky-smooth' finish with that 400 grit/ Osmo oil ontop.. that's gone great, tho it is trying its best to bow up, but hopefully will behave enough over time. My filling of the join with titebond & sanded dust was a bit of a dog's dinner in comparison, but a minor issue overall, & the join itself tho not perfect, is pretty good I'd say.

Next to consider is the prep of the pB for painting. I have a paint in mind, so plan is to complete these 2 walls, even last step of fitting a corner cupboard above tile corner. Then.. onto other less complex, smaller side/ half of kitchen.

The offwhite grout idea was meant to be a match for the cream sink.. but falls between white & jasmine anyway/ that's getting too OCD anyway!

Result on the sink. I moaned like abitch to Franke, & they kindly agreed & gave me £50 back.

Franke sinks are ace. My tap's ace too (!). Its a major transformation even at 1/2 stage- so much more pleasant to be in here & use my new bits!

Thanks alot chaps- zootH

39 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

but falls between white & jasmine anyway/ that's getting too OCD anyway!

Ha ha, well @Onoff has been advising so no wonder your OCD has become more extreme ;). I bought Mapei jasmine and Mapei beige to be used in different bathrooms to suit the tiles. I threw a hissy fit as they used the beige in the wrong bathroom while I was at work and now that they are all done you can't really tell the difference between the 2 anyway once it's in situ :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

My tap's ace too (!).

The tap you hated initially ;)

46 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

for my paid work (guitar cabinetry)

Ah well you can see that you have decent skills because you've made it all look fab despite not knowing how to tackle it. Let's see a pic of your day job stuff then. I bet that's super nice if you are paid to be doing that sort of work by hand. 

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Go get some Toupret or Alabastine filler which is a powder based one and use that to fill the holes and edges - it dries finer and sands easier as otherwise you may go through the paper if you sand too much. 

Ah nuts.. I think this one corner I grouted around edge of, onto the p/b, is 1st major mistake now you've said this. How I'm gonna sand this down as you say w'out ripping into the pB paper. Shoot. Other tile edges I'll polyfill I think Peter as its to hand now -that's good enough for me- as I made sure the tile adhesive went onto/ 'sealed' the exposed pB edges under the outer tile places.

These edges were always going to be a compromise w'out going the mesh strip edge route/ too much for me tbh. I do have paper jutting up here & there so may have to feather some filler to prep these. Not ideal I must admit. But it'll pan out ok.

Well it was torturous at times but you got there in the end and then some. Looks great.

Glad that idiot's idea ref getting the tiles on in one hit worked out! :)

If you find yourself hating the external corners of the tiling you could trim in upvc angle; white, woodgrain etc.

s-l400.jpg.c71246170a114bc4d4fcb5e555b00d6b.jpg

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

The tap seemed enormous without any stuff near it!! just hated it. Now I love it!  haha. Mods- I'll pop a few pics up quick [these] then delete..

The mods won't care about your amp pics being on here. Not like you're in the building trade! They look great. Can see where you get the core skills from. That bottom photo tho! :o Looks like you lost it one day and went psycho with a sheet of PB!! :D