Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

Nothing wrong with box extensions. They're the right thing for the job. Better than screw extenders.

The screws that fit face plates to back boxes are "M3.5". Same ones that fit extension boxes onto back boxes. Available in different lengths if buying separate.

When you buy a new face plate you generally get two new screws with it clipped in the back. Sometimes they have a fancy finish to match the face plate. You need to make sure when putting the screws in, if a bit long, you don't nick or squash the wires behind.

You can cut the screws down if necessary. There exists the cheapest of cheap tools that claim to be wire strippers/bolt cutters and crimps all in one. Basically this:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03190/wire-crimper-stripper/dp/TL19441?

As a stripper they're OK 'ish. As a crimper they're utter shite, verging on dangerous imo.

However...as a cutter for shortening M3.5 screws they do the job. Simply wind the screw in to the desired length and cut.

If you want a basic crimper then this:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03009/ratchet-crimping-tool/dp/TL08620?st=Crimping tool

The CPC site btw is good and cheap. 

If you f**k up an M3.5 screw hole you can generally rethread with one of these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/kamasa-tools/55821/re-threader-3-5mm-x-0-6mm/dp/TL16988?st=M3.5

Look how cheap this stuff is! :)

If you REALLY f**k up the thread you might need to reach tap a size up, M4 with one of these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/draper-tools/37924/rethreading-tool-m4-0-x-0-7/dp/TL04580?st=M4 tool

Both sizes no doubt available also on eBay etc.

You'll of course need an M4 screw to suit. Available in little packs if desperate from B&Q etc.

There also longer screws available if you need them.

You can get them from Screwfix and they will probably be called ‘machine screws’. You can take one of yours along, or look at a socket in the shop to check. Other places have better value etc, but if you are there then they have the stuff.

Ferdinand

@zoothorn, if like some on here you lack social skills, struggle with interpersonal relationships, have a mild drinking problem and tbh generally prefer contact with tools rather than people then you might like to have a go at making an extension box out of a standard back box:

IMG_20180801_213501002.thumb.jpg.6e1d27bcef0310088bc8d9dad149a649.jpg

IMG_20180801_213446305.thumb.jpg.d6ad3f02906a94065393fe7da0e64895.jpg

IMG_20180801_213324977.thumb.jpg.bb349c36ae478021d09e2ab6ac053c99.jpg

I really can't recommend the use of a 4 1/2" grinder 6" from your nose though. I'd take a bid longer too deburring the cut edges than this bloke did and even consider a grommet strip!

Don't either try it either, in the dark with a failing head torch and after 2 pints of Shipyard Pale Ale or you too could be sporting an L shaped burn on your leg from a dropped, hot back box...

:ph34r:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Don't either try it either, in the dark with a failing head torch and after 2 pints of Shipyard Pale Ale or you too could be sporting an L shaped burn on your leg from a dropped, hot back box...

I hope you're getting on with your bloody bathroom! 

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

I hope you're getting on with your bloody bathroom! 

Sitting down to watch Designated Survivor on Netflix tbh...

Hoping the missus will join me on the sofa as the kids have nicked the cushions and I can lean on her instead!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Appreciate the info onoff/ chaps.. in a world of pain now so back on board tmrw i hope. very grateful indeed.

(just saw desig survivor trailer.. ooh looks fun! president in a hoodie hehe whatever next. breaking bad for me.. Im sure u seen/ but if not drop all & start it pronto you'll be hooked in 5min!). thx zoot

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Appreciate the info onoff/ chaps.. in a world of pain now so back on board tmrw i hope. very grateful indeed.

(just saw desig survivor trailer.. ooh looks fun! president in a hoodie hehe whatever next. breaking bad for me.. Im sure u seen/ but if not drop all & start it pronto you'll be hooked in 5min!). thx zoot

Erm...in your drug adled state DON'T take my tongue in cheek post about making your own extension boxes as advice ffs!

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Erm...in your drug adled state DON'T take my tongue in cheek post about making your own extension boxes as advice ffs!

Yes @zoothorn, repeat 20 times. "DO NOT TRY TO MAKE AN EXTENSION BOX". Then go and buy some that fit properly. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

wow Im whacked out today- all a buzzy haze tbh. ok got the angle grinder out. that cuts metal, right-?

With the CORECT blade...and there are multiple types...

...plus gloves, goggles or full face mask if working up close etc.

Really not a toy...

A&E job or worse if you get it wrong.

:/

I’m terrible, I just grab the nearest tool and see if I can improvise to make it do what I need, so screwdrivers are generally used for a variety of things from getting paint lids off to chiselling bits of wood when bashed with a hammer lol. I don’t feck about with power tools though. A drill is about my limit. 

Edited by newhome

No no I'm kidding.. angle grinders the last thing i should be handling at the mo!

Ok Im all set the get the sockets extensions, & the mortar on PM. Then getting ins PB tmrw- & screws..

can you remind me of what length (for 9mm PB)/ & approx no. I might be looking at? Do I need any particular cutting xyz for the PB's? &

will 9mm be ok in a damp west wales area.. anything to worry about on this front?

11 minutes ago, newhome said:

I’m terrible, I just grab the nearest tool and see if I can improvise to make it do what I need, so screwdrivers are generally used for a variety of things from getting pain lids off to chiselling bits of wood when bashed with a hammer lol. I don’t feck about with power tools though. A drill is about my limit. 

As SWMBO often reminds me there's "pointy" screwdrivers for making holes in things like flower pots or hitting with a hammer if trying to put a Rawlplug in. You then get "flatty" ones. Ideal for any scraping job and getting tin lids off of paint. Either type can be used for stirring paint...

:)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

As SWMBO often reminds me there's "pointy" screwdrivers for making holes in things like flower pots or hitting with a hammer if trying to put a Rawlplug in. You then get "flatty" ones. Ideal for any scraping job and getting tin lids off of paint. Either type can be used for stirring paint...

Thats why I keep my other half out of my Workshop!.

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

:)

Yep, that’s me too ?

48 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

wow Im whacked out today- all a buzzy haze tbh. ok got the angle grinder out. that cuts metal, right-?

A jigsaw would be safer, takes longer to remove a limb.

Why 9mm pb? Some cowboy ? we had used some and the 12mm walls are much better whether dot and dab or stud wall.

6 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

No no I'm kidding.. angle grinders the last thing i should be handling at the mo!

Ok Im all set the get the sockets extensions, & the mortar on PM. Then getting ins PB tmrw- & screws..

can you remind me of what length (for 9mm PB)/ & approx no. I might be looking at? Do I need any particular cutting xyz for the PB's? &

will 9mm be ok in a damp west wales area.. anything to worry about on this front?

I reckon being a newbie at this you might drive the screws too deep to start with until you find the right torque on your cordless. That special bit I linked earlier should prevent that though. 

32mm long should do you at 150mm centres. A little bit of extra length & grip won't hurt if you're having to "spring" some boards in. So allow about 20 for every vertical batten I think and you should have enough left over for the horizontals.

A decent retractable, metal bodied Stanley knife for cutting boards and a pack of blades.

A little surform plane is useful for taking down rough edges and easing boards to fit. Screwfix part number 20388 is a handy tool for this. You should though with practice get to cut cleaner edges with just the knife.

As to whether 9mm pb is any good...if you have penetrating damp it won't matter what thickness the pb is! Why not 12.5mm? Much more forgiving when screwing.

4 minutes ago, daiking said:

A jigsaw would be safer, takes longer to remove a limb.

Why 9mm pb? Some cowboy ? we had used some and the 12mm walls are much better whether dot and dab or stud wall.

Don't encourage him ffs! The whole grinder thing came about from my drunken post making an extension box. Jigsaw would have been impractical as the blade would have hit the screw lugs!

I don't have any damp thankfully in the kitchen.. thinking 9mm just as Im chipping into the room by a good 1-1/4" so wanted as small as poss on battens. But, maybe a few mm's won't make much difference, & if the overall job's made easier, & a better finish with 12.5mm- then I'll go with that.

Reckon the PB is possible to put up with one person alone?

20 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I don't have any damp thankfully in the kitchen.. thinking 9mm just as Im chipping into the room by a good 1-1/4" so wanted as small as poss on battens. But, maybe a few mm's won't make much difference, & if the overall job's made easier, & a better finish with 12.5mm- then I'll go with that.

Reckon the PB is possible to put up with one person alone?

Well 12.5mm is 25% heavier to handle...but more resistant to damage...

With a bit of experience you should be able to handle getting the boards on the wall on your own. A diagonal prop of some sort might help. Nothing worse than standing a board up and getting distracted and turning around for a second. That "Oh shit!" moment as you feel the rush of wind and the board falls and breaks.

You have to hold the board up with one hand and have say a stool with your drill and screws on close at hand. I even mark on the boards in pencil the centres of the battens before I put them up.

Most I guess hold the board up and get in one or two screws at random near the top - you get a rough idea as hopefully you've marked the ceiling and floor with the batten centres. Then project your pencil line up and if really anal mark your 150mm centres.

Edited by Onoff

6 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

so 32mm screws for 12.5mm PB? What about the inner window/ reveal areas (which Ive asked 2 builders' merchants who only have 30mm ins PB: 2nd place has only polystyrene-backed PB).

32mm fine for 12.5mm board to the battens.

You'll need longer like 45/50mm for putting the insulated pb on.

27 or 30mm insulated pb will make no difference.

Not trying to spend your money but a plasterboard / sheet carrier is a Godsend if working on your own. Buy or make from scrap. Know any metal works mates? This is mine:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-panel-board-carrier-950130

Screwfix/T'station both do a Roughneck make heavy duty plastic version for the same money.

Ok I'll make a decision on this PB later.. once the prep & C'tex done. Maybe I can only physically handle 9mm to do the job alone. I was thinking of a prop/ support of some type I could haul the board up onto.. but can't figure out a good design.

Once I get this job done, & done well, I'm hoping it will be a 'tester'.. I've got even more pressing areas in the house/ much larger to consider a same insulating > batten work on: a large'ish porch 'room' of a single brick course only (with 2x glazed windows).. & the big job (which is making my 2 upstairs room incredibly/ unbearably cold) taking out the 12mm PB all around the 3 walls in each upstairs room > redoing the battens (or if Im lucky keeping as is, or, only replacing those at the chimney end which are alarmingly ~1ft away from the inner wall) > filling with BIG thick C'tex > reboarding > etc.