Plan C, leave aircrete walls naked for a winter?

epsilonGreedy

19 hours ago, ADLIan said:

Many breather membranes used in TF and roofing are degraded by UV light.

Our TF was sarked with 22mm OSB which was also a structural stiffness component (we have a warm loft as part of our living space).  Our supplier gave a similar comment about our BM, but in Nov - early Feb (the gap between the TF going up and the roof being slated) this was less of an issue.  What more of an issue was the risk from high winds getting under BM overlaps and damaging the fabric which we addressed by adding extra temporary battening on the gables etc., and also going over all overlaps with a tacker where needed.

It worked well in the end, with no problems despite some gale force winds, and dusting of snow, and the internals were dry and were a far better working environment than if the build were still open to the elements.

• Like 1

Of the house we have built, 5 were TF and our current ICF.  I must admit to being an ICF convert, but I think that's because I used an outstanding contractor who really knew his stuff and paid a lot of attention to detail, and that ICF is really well suited to the weather conditions where I live.  My previous TF builds, in particular the last one which used an injection filled wall panel, were all erected quickly.  We did suffer on one TF build, having completed all our excavation and foundation work in the dry, it started raining the day the frame went up and didn't stop until 6 weeks later when the slate roof was on and finished.  Even though the frame and sarking boards were covered with membrane, the frame got very wet and it was a real struggle to get it dried out.

• 2 weeks later...