Floor tiling Prep.

swisscheese

I'm prepping a large floor area for tiling.

I expect to be using a Mapei Adhesive so for priming prep of the floor do I use the Mapei Primer G or go for a more generic SBR product, it looks like I may get a better dilution/coverage rate for the SBR so may be a bit cheaper.

Any pre -tiling prep advice

Cheers

6 minutes ago, swisscheese said:

I'm prepping a large floor area for tiling.

I expect to be using a Mapei Adhesive so for priming prep of the floor do I use the Mapei Primer G or go for a more generic SBR product, it looks like I may get a better dilution/coverage rate for the SBR so may be a bit cheaper.

Any pre -tiling prep advice

Cheers

SBR all day long

Mapei is ok but can be a bit pricey 

Tilemaster adhesive is as good as bal I normally pay £9.50 for white flexi Really nice to use also

I wouldn't use SBR TBH. A good flexible tile primer will stay tacky after it dries. 

Ultra is my usual one if I can't get hold of my local N&C ( Nicobond ) stuff. 

Brickies and spreads tend to use PVA or SBR for everything, but I'd recommend sticking to products of the same family eg adhesive / primer alike. 

Just my 2-cents. 

I was told on here not to use watered down pva on my concrete floor that wasn't to be tiled for a long while. It was just to dustproof it. The against being that once tiled, if water gets through the grout it can soften the pva film under the tile adhesive and the tile can lift. I used watered down sbr instead. Noted it's getting a tad dusty again so it's probably all worn off by now! 

On 19/06/2018 at 13:55, Onoff said:

I was told on here not to use watered down pva on my concrete floor that wasn't to be tiled for a long while. It was just to dustproof it. The against being that once tiled, if water gets through the grout it can soften the pva film under the tile adhesive and the tile can lift. I used watered down sbr instead. Noted it's getting a tad dusty again so it's probably all worn off by now! 

PVA is outdated. I put hundreds of mtrs down with SBR without problem. We even use it prior to Ditra matting 

On 19/06/2018 at 13:59, nod said:

PVA is outdated. I put hundreds of mtrs down with SBR without problem. We even use it prior to Ditra matting 

Just paid a £1000 for 150 mtrs of Ditra Best of it is ten years ago we never used anti crack matting I can only rember one job that lifted in the last 30 years 

Now every other job I price has been spect for Ditra or Dura

11 minutes ago, nod said:

Just paid a £1000 for 150 mtrs of Ditra Best of it is ten years ago we never used anti crack matting I can only rember one job that lifted in the last 30 years 

Now every other job I price has been spect for Ditra or Dura

Why is this ^ ?

Adds substantially to the job price - I was considering not using the decoupling matt - seems to be mixed opinions as to whether it's essential.

On 19/06/2018 at 15:02, swisscheese said:

Why is this ^ ?

Adds substantially to the job price - I was considering not using the decoupling matt - seems to be mixed opinions as to whether it's essential.

If the floor is sound You don’t need it Most of the larger jobs have specced it when a drawing is sent out 

UFH you are taking a chance 

On 19/06/2018 at 16:22, nod said:

If the floor is sound You don’t need it Most of the larger jobs have specced it when a drawing is sent out 

UFH you are taking a chance 

Thanks Nod,

I hoped to have minimised UFH as an 'issue' by running the "concrete cure" UFH function on to help dry out the floor before even thinking about getting a tile down. That and the decent weather. ;)