Construction Cocktails

TPO Tranquiliser

If you are having trouble with TPOs (and I have had a lot of trouble with TPOs), this is a recommendation from Arsie on the Gardenlaw forum:

here is a nice gin cocktail recipe: 4 fl oz gin; 4 fl oz curacao (triple sec); 8 fl oz orange with mango juice; half a fresh lemon and half a fresh lime juiced up. Shake up with a bunch of ice cubes. Drink quickly before the ice melts completely to dilute the experience ...

Tried it last night - recommended and not *that* strong if sharing. I make it 4 units of alcohol each.

I used an orange/mango smoothie for part of the juice, and added a splash of Cointreau to take the sharpness off slightly, and garnished with rubbed mint leaves. A squeeze of lime juice just before drinking might also be good. I also used crushed ice in the glass (half the volume) rather than a shaker, and a drinking straw.

tasty, but I'll take a White Russian in preference for the winter.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 2

Pickled Newt

Designed to soothe amphibian or watery planning stresses. I haven't tried this one yet.

3 Ingredients

Method

Mix the ingredients directly in lowball glass filled with ice cubes. Stir and serve.

https://makemeacocktail.com/cocktail/3909/pickled-newt/

To me that looks quite lightweight to me, so not particularly headache inducing the next day. Not at all capable of pickling a newt.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pink Squirrel Cocktail

To be used in commiseration when squirrels have nested in your loft, or in celebration when you see a red squirrel or you (or your cat) catch a grey one and turn it pink. In the latter case it is an excellent funeral toast.

1 oz creme de noyaux
1 tbsp white creme de cacao
1 tbsp light cream (or ice cream)

Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

pink-squirrel-1.jpg

A summery cocktail with ice-cream. Amaretto might be an interesting alternative to Creme de Noyaux, but then you would probably need something else to turn it pink. Raspberry ripple ice cream or a dash of cranberry juice?

Image credit: http://www.zazzle.co.uk/squirrel_drinking_a_cocktail_at_happy_hour_mouse_pad-144411536072030955

(Update: You  could blow me down with a bicycle pump this morning. Not only has the 18 year old cat caught *another* squirrel, it also had a confrontation with the local feline thug and ejected it unceremoniously from the garden. It may have to be renamed Mick Jagger for activities beyond the call of duty for a pensioner. Waiting for a 7 year old slinky kitty called Melanie to appear.)

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

London Fog Cocktail

A London Fog, a nice light cocktail for when you can't see anything.

Any glass really, but perhaps a heavy base tumbler or a cocktail glass.

Fill the glass with crushed ice (I use a food bag of ice cubes and a rubber mallet, then put inside another food bag in the freezer for later).

Add 50ml gin and 15ml Pernod. The Pernod clouds the drink.

Stir.

Add ice to fill.

Garnish with a half slice of orange.

If you wish you can add chilled water, but I tend to just wait for the ice to melt a little in my hands.

Ferdinand

Fog Cutter

This is a quiet brute of a summery cocktail, but very tasty.

Pleading guilty on this occasion since I take pride in testing each cocktail first even when the recipe is from elsewhere. Why wouldn't I?

The Fog Cutter creeps up on you a little like a Border Reevor on a Northumbrian Shepherd. For after lunch and before James Bond at Christmas, so you feel like Blofelt at the White House in Miami.

Or at least it is one to have *after* you have dealt with your responsibilities. 

Long Version:

50ml orange juice (fresh is best)

25ml lemon juice

50ml white rum

25ml gin

25ml brandy / cognac (my preference is Courvoisier, but the source of the recipe says Martell. I think he has played too much Contraband.)

25ml Amontillado Sherry

25ml orgeat (which is an almond sugar syrup - I adapted by using an Amaretto almond liqueur instead of half of the white rum, and normal syrup*)

Mix everything except the Sherry in a cocktail shaker (or jug) with crushed ice. Strain into a tall ice filled glass. 

Float the sherry on top, and garnish with a slice of orange, stolen from someone's satsuma.

Enjoy your summery Christmassy cocktail. Let the day drift away. I make that very roughly 5-6 units :-). 

There is a shorter version here:

https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/779/fog-cutter-2

Ferdinand

* Syrup: mix sugar and water 2:1. I mix it warm and put in the fridge to cool.

Edited by Ferdinand

A cover all bases,

Ballsally champagne :

2 litre Strongbow (white lightning is a cheap substitute)

1 litre Buckfast

Mix, and drink,

For the more hardened drinker we have Lurgan Champagne :

2 x 1 litre Buckfast

Open, and drink,

:ph34r:

Hangover cure :

repeat as above,  O.o

Edited by Steptoe

• 8 months later...

We've just come back from a weekend of "cocktail indulgence", and an escape from modernity, so who can guess what the cocktail in the foreground here might be:

59e5107728497_Cocktail1.thumb.jpg.9c5e2b0f92c3e55e0dcb25a8da6d5c8c.jpg

The room key is a slight give away, perhaps, as we spent the weekend staying in a suite at a rather infamous hotel built by my wife's great uncle (it was the suite named after great uncle Archie we stayed in).

Sometimes it's nice to get away from TV, the internet etc.  This was the most modern form of communication in our suite:

Telephone.thumb.jpg.2c85a3b85c9399f6688e7efc26991c02.jpg

Edited by JSHarris

My wife was drinking a Kir Royale, rather than a Belle de Nuit, but I had a Burgh Bramble that evening, you're right.

Yes, it's a bit expensive, but it is a pretty amazing place.  It is like being in another country, as well as stepping back in time to the early 1930s.  Everyone still dresses for dinner, with the house rule being that "it's simply impossible to be over-dressed for dinner at Burgh Island".  As a consequence, the cocktail bar and dining room are just like something from one of the more upmarket Agatha Christie novels (without the inevitable murder.........).  I would guess there were around 30 or so guests last weekend, and there was probably between £1M and £2M worth of diamonds, pearls etc being worn at dinner.

The place really is well worth a visit, as it's staggeringly well-preserved, with just about every item in the place being from the Art Deco period, where possible.  Architecturally it's interesting, too, as it was built in 1929 entirely from reinforced concrete.  Even the balustrades around the terraces of each room or suite are reinforced concrete.  It's Achilles heel are all the Crittal windows, although they've all had very slim double glazing fitted.  Not sure how they managed to get permission to do that to a GII listed building, but you need to look closely to notice it.

There is still a slight air of "naughtiness" about the place.  Guests are transported from the well-hidden shore-side covered car park across the beach to the hotel via black Range Rovers with dark tinted windows (assuming the tide is out).  No one who isn't a hotel guest gets through the electric gates and the place still has the sort of discreet atmosphere that must have made it an attractive place for people like Edward and Mrs Simpson to go and stay, or Eisenhower and Churchill, who held a secret meeting there.  We spent Christmas there a few years ago, and it was brilliant.  For us it is a great place to escape from the unwanted side of family pressure..........

• 2 years later...

Pandemic cocktails? What’s in a Zombie?

I’m keeping it simple and sticking with whisky. I don’t drink enough and had got out of the habit unless I’d had a few beery looseners. It’s only taken a week of hard labour but I’m back on track. 

Tonight I’ve started with a pint of Lowenbrau Oktoberfest before pouring a house measure of the 9yo Lagavulin.

5 hours ago, daiking said:

Pandemic cocktails? What’s in a Zombie?

I’m keeping it simple and sticking with whisky. I don’t drink enough and had got out of the habit unless I’d had a few beery looseners. It’s only taken a week of hard labour but I’m back on track. 

Tonight I’ve started with a pint of Lowenbrau Oktoberfest before pouring a house measure of the 9yo Lagavulin.

There is a thing called an earthquake (from Diffords Guide):

image.png.b0a60642e2e7757597975d01e6253bd3.png

https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/4807/tremblement-de-terre-earthquake

Tell me next week, when I have been locked down with all the others...

Anyhoo, judging by the dates on this thread,  my stirry craziness is genetic.

Anhyoo, behave or I will tell them about the Famous Five Fanfic that shocked you ... you are supposed to be an unshockable zombie from Thanet, not a snowflake. xD

F

Who may be in isolation with all the others from the w/e.

Edited by Ferdinand