What solar LED for garage?

Mr Punter

I have a single en-bloc garage with no electric.  It has a corrugated cement asbestos roof.  I will use it to store some tools and materials.  Any ideas / recommends on LED solar lighting?  I would prefer a single strip / fitting and it need to be fairly bright so I am not fumbling around.

Any ideas for mounting the panel to the roof?  Do I need to drill through?

It will probably get used for max 60 mins in a day.  I am not sure whether to get a purpose made kit or separate components.

13 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have a single en-bloc garage with no electric.  It has a corrugated cement asbestos roof.  I will use it to store some tools and materials.  Any ideas / recommends on LED solar lighting?  I would prefer a single strip / fitting and it need to be fairly bright so I am not fumbling around.

Any ideas for mounting the panel to the roof?  Do I need to drill through?

It will probably get used for max 60 mins in a day.  I am not sure whether to get a purpose made kit or separate components.

is there anything stopping you glueing battens to the roof with industrial strength glue?

eg https://www.diy.com/departments/evo-stik-serious-stuff-solvent-free-grab-adhesive-0-29l/212376_BQ.prd

Or clamp battens at the sides of the roof and attach to those?

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

is there anything stopping you glueing battens to the roof with industrial strength glue?

Good plan.  The only issue may be that the top of the roof has been painted with some sort of black stuff, but it feels dry to the touch.  I will give this a go once I have sorted out what kit to get.  I have a few tubes of CT1 so I will try this.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Good plan.  The only issue may be that the top of the roof has been painted with some sort of black stuff, but it feels dry to the touch.  I will give this a go once I have sorted out what kit to get.  I have a few tubes of CT1 so I will try this.

One other option could be roofrack type clamps at the edges of the roof.

Is there an industrial strength surface consolidator you could put down first?

That is beyond my ken.

The glue I linked is the one we used to stick down stable mats to a gym floor that lasted several years OK with people gymming on it, But did not last when the landlord insisted on driving his cherry picker in through the roller shutter ?. He was stopped promptly.

F