NuLok and due diligence

10 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Time for a little chat with Paul Stevenson, then. Thanks everyone for your efforts on my behalf

I'll report back tomorrow.

Ian

If he's from Ballymena gd luck. We can't even understand people from there.

Well, are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

First the references given from Nulok (I had asked for customer references) were to companies that fitted Nulok, not end customers. But frankly I'll take @PeterStarck at his word any day of the week. So I wasn't too concerned about that. Its a niggle, though.

I had a long phone chat with Paul Stevenson, and no, the company doesn't take Credit Card transactions (there's no call for them) I pointed out that that might be because CC transactions aren't offered. Self-fulfilling prophecy and all that, maybe? The tone was cordial and we came to a simple agreement: fetch them myself.

So, I'm going to hire a wagon, go to their yard in Birmingham and pick them up, and wire the money to him. Convenient living not far from  the M6 innit?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Well, are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

I have been waiting two whole days for the next thrilling installment ?

Just picked up my new (very old) transit van for the new build and would offer this but assume the length and bulk of you roofing system needs a longer open truck.

7 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

So, I'm going to hire a wagon, go to their yard in Birmingham and pick them up, and wire the money to him. Convenient living not far from  the M6 innit?

If he will let you wire the money retrospectively I’m not clear why he can’t arrange for them to be delivered and then you wire the money post delivery. You could offer to pay for the delivery before arrival potentially so he knows you’re not taking the pee. 

That said, if this arrangement suits you then it’s all good, but others who are further afield may want to negotiate an ‘immediate payment post delivery’ arrangement if that’s possible. 

9 hours ago, Juj said:

@recoveringacademic Are you going to be installing this yourself? I'd be very interested to see how you get on as I'm planning on using this with the integrated solar tiles.

Yes.

You have me interested in your thoughts about the integrated solar tiles...... I understand that they are wired in series : but I may be wrong. 

My site has a little bit of shading for part of the year, and I'm not keen on the one-off-all-off feature that goes with in series wiring.....

9 hours ago, newhome said:

If he will let you wire the money retrospectively I’m not clear why he can’t arrange for them to be delivered and then you wire the money post delivery. You could offer to pay for the delivery before arrival potentially so he knows you’re not taking the pee. 

That said, if this arrangement suits you then it’s all good, but others who are further afield may want to negotiate an ‘immediate payment post delivery’ arrangement if that’s possible. 

@newhome, I did discuss this with Mr Stevenson. He says he will look into providing CC payment. I drew his attention to BuldHub, and hopefully he will have a look at this thread.

Ian

• Like 1

I was interested in the solar tiles too, which was one of the main reasons for looking closely at NuLok.  We don't have any shading problems, but I did find the price of the PV tiles to be high, around three times the price of an in-roof PV installation.  Whether you can fit microinverters to the PV tiles to get around the shading issues I don't know, I'd guess it depends whether there is enough room behind the tiles to accommodate them.

On 17/06/2018 at 14:31, ProDave said:

But the thing that struck me was you would have hundreds, possibly over 1000 individual solar panels to connect together, and I could imagine the connector system being a bit of a nightmare.

Yes, and the installer I know that fitted one made an error.  He had to start again.

Then the installation had a lightening hit.  So was bugger and I think abandoned in the end.

It is the community hall in St. Just, so not exactly in the metropolis.

45 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

ou have me interested in your thoughts about the integrated solar tiles...... I understand that they are wired in series : but I may be wrong. 

My site has a little bit of shading for part of the year, and I'm not keen on the one-off-all-off feature that goes with in series wiring....

If you have a shading problem then you really need micro-inverters/optimisers.

You could (in theory) put 4-6 tiles in a string to each micro-inverter and plan them to minimise the shading impact but cost wise when I looked at it a few years ago roof integrated panels were significantly cheaper than tiles, and if you still have the shading issues micro-inverters are designed with panels in mind.

As to capacity, i fitted the maximum that would fit, nearly 10kW.  I have not yet started to work out import/export rations etc but intend to set up a monitoring system some how.

• 8 months later...
On 17/06/2018 at 12:38, PeterW said:

Depends what you’re looking for....

Current importer is registered with CoHo and has filed accounts so has a trading history. Not taking cards is not a big issue for me - small companies get penalised with bank charges of up to 4.5% by merchants for card transactions so it’s understandable if you are taking up to 30% of their margin that they are reluctant or won’t take cards

It boils down to “what do you want”..? Is it tech support..? Installation assistance..? Warranty..? 

The Nu-lok online resources are very good and it’s a system I would consider with a slate roof as it has a lot of plus points. Slate roofing hasn’t moved on in generations so anything “new” will be viewed with suspicion by many and from experience the roofing trade is one that is still stuck in the 1800’s...

Hi there Peter. Did u ever get the nu lok system ? I slated mine with it 10 yrs ago 

and can offer advice on a few myths and differences from the Australian site !

Hi guys

i was probably the last person in Ireland to buy the nu lok system for my mansard roof in 09. If anyone is about to roof with nu lok, contact me as I have hundreds of clips left over. Happy to steer you clear of a few issues I had. 

I probably had the last nu lok system in Ireland fitted before they went bust. They had problems getting roofers on board with the concept. Not surprised really, as they like to take 3-4 weeks to roof a house and charge the earth !! I had mine up in five days. 

On 17/06/2018 at 15:39, epsilonGreedy said:

With over 25 years of roofing experience we clearly seen the Nu-Lok Roofing System as the future in roofing and over the past 10 years we have enjoyed nothing more than seeing the joy on our Clients faces when they see the finished product and know that their investment has been well worth while

When they spend some money on their advertising budget, they should set some aside for a comma key on their keyboards!

5 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

When they spend some money on their advertising budget, they should set some aside for a comma key on their keyboards!

AFAICS, they no longer exist as a UK company, only a company pretending to be in the UK but which has contact details for France and Australia only.  The Irish  company went bust some time ago, it seems.

5 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I dealt with Nulok in June of last year: here's the address on the invoice

Lilyash Limited
83 Rathkeel Road, Broughshane,

Ballymena,

Northern Ireland,

BT42 4QE

Here's their filing history: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI039864/filing-history

Struck off 14th June 2016, apparently.  Make of the rest of it what you will.

13 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Did one of them guys not join up here at the time??? 

Yes, here:

Should have been brought to the attention of the mods at the time, perhaps, as it's damned close to being just a blatant product promotion, and so a breach of the forum Ts and Cs.

22 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

So nu lok Ireland  Ltd went bust and he set up as lilyash Ltd selling nu lok??? 

Seems so, also seems, from the dates, as if there may have been a crossover when both entities may have been trading.