Best varnish

Hey all

My gates have faded somewhat 

I think they are made of Iroko (????)

You can just make out the remains of the deep rich colour they once were .

Any recommendations for a varnish that will bring the natural colour back out ??

cheers

D1EC110D-ACC3-404F-A43D-896E6EC99528.jpeg

You sure they weren't stained that colour? In which case you'll need to use a woodstain again and then varnish. I always use Sadolin. I would think you need something like Sadolin extra and then the Clearcoat varnish on top. Or Sikkens which is expensive but supposed to be good.  I need to do something similar to the oak doorframe outside as it happens. 

Just now, pocster said:

Might of been stained !

i don’t know what colour ‘natural’ iroko is !

So some sadolin stain ( near as I can match ) to stain - then a clear varnish ??

That's what I would do but I would wait for someone more knowledgeable to confirm :). Or look at Sikkens too for the colour. 

I hate choosing woodstains off the web. They never look anything like I imagine when I get them home and start using them. Even more so than paint. Best to see something that's stained the right colour and go with that unless someone on here knows the right colour. Can you not ask the place you got them from? 

Edited by newhome

38 minutes ago, newhome said:

I hate choosing woodstains off the web. They never look anything like I imagine when I get them home and start using them. Even more so than paint. Best to see something that's stained the right colour and go with that unless someone on here knows the right colour. Can you not ask the place you got them from? 

The supplier ( as usual ) doesn’t reply . They didn’t finish the job 100% either - yet another fab ‘tradesman’ !!

Stains don't work that well with iroko, in my experience, as it's very like teak; naturally oily and very close grained, so stuff doesn't soak into it at all well.  There are yacht deck treatments, like Deks Olje, that work well.  Not cheap though.

10 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Stains don't work that well with iroko, in my experience, as it's very like teak; naturally oily and very close grained, so stuff doesn't soak into it at all well.  There are yacht deck treatments, like Deks Olje, that work well.  Not cheap though.

Thanks 

not worried about cost ; just want the best product for the job 

16 minutes ago, pocster said:

Thanks 

not worried about cost ; just want the best product for the job 

You probably want to look at restoring the colour first, using one of the teak deck colour restoring treatments.  Anything that works on teak generally works fine on iroko.   This stuff works well at restoring the original colour: http://www.teakcleaner.co.uk/

They look like they are made of Iroko, when new they probably had a coat of oil based varnish on.

To bring them back to what they were tahes alot of work to compleat and maintain some sort of work needing every year and may be more often.

First it would all need sanding down to bring back the colour, or you paint it dark colour.  You would still have the problem of water peneration under metal parts and in the t&g joints which would then lift the finish off and lead to rotting.

I am sorry to sound so down it could look lovely but it is alot of work.

My advise is to let it grow old gracefully. 

Just now, James H said:

They look like they are made of Iroko, when new they probably had a coat of oil based varnish on.

To bring them back to what they were tahes alot of work to compleat and maintain some sort of work needing every year and may be more often.

First it would all need sanding down to bring back the colour, or you paint it dark colour.  You would still have the problem of water peneration under metal parts and in the t&g joints which would then lift the finish off and lead to rotting.

I am sorry to sound so down it could look lovely but it is alot of work.

My advise is to let it grow old gracefully. 

I can’t !

They are only a few years old ! Want them looking nice as they did originally!!