Cooker hood question?

No doubt I am being dim here & the answer may be blindingly obvious.

However, what is the difference between a ceiling mounted cooker hood, for example, in a drop ceiling above an island and an integrated cooker hood flat mounted in between cupboards above a hob.

The only thing I can think of is distance.

PRICE

An ordinary cooker hood that is built to fix to a wall you have plenty of choice, and they are relatively cheap.  They only have 3 "good sides" as they mount against a wall.

An Island cooker hood is much the same internal workings, but must be supported from the top and have "4 good sides"  THAT fact alone means there is very much less choice and they are much more expensive.

I think you mean a canopy hood - looks similar to a flat panel in the underside of a wall unit or canopy ..?

They are pretty cheap - £90-120 for a Neff one for example, but they are not that powerful and also tend not to have duct points within them and are designed to vent behind a panel or be recirculating. Downside of that is they tend to be quite deep so won’t fit into a ceiling recess. 

Other issue normally is switching as they usually have the switches mounted on the face so if it’s in the ceiling you would need a long stick...

Other than that, they are just fans and bits of plastic and stainless steel usually ..!

I had to cut a hole in the ceiling plasterboard to enable the ducting to come out and turn and exit across the dropped ceiling to where I had the duct to the outside.

As for switching it on mine is left on permanently at the fan but it's wired into a switch beside the lights. 

Mine is a neff but think it was near £300 as it was the most powerful I could get.

I do mean a canopy hood.

We would have to have a recirculating one anyway.

I thought it may just be the distance from the hob to the extractor & how powerful they are.

We will be having a drop ceiling above the kitchen island.

It seems that a for the sale of 1/2 mtr it will cost about £1000 more.

You need a minimum volume per minutes - any extractor that meets that is fine and tbh heat rises so that helps the extractors anyway. 

I fitted one using 4 100mm ducts around an island and it works fine - big inline fan in a utility ceiling and it basically pulls air from all around the island and the hob (electric) and works well. Lots of smoke from a frying pan still causes problems but that’s the same with any extractor. 

1 hour ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

We have MVHR and a window adjacent.

It just seems mad to spend so much on something I may not use that often.

Do you need one for building regs if you have mvhr?  If not why bother.

I have mine integrated into the hob and I love it because I hate overhead extractors and refused to have one.  I use the hob one because its clean and easy but as for extracting value ... its recirculating and there is an mvhr extract not far away so probably wouldnt make a huge difference if I used it or not.