Basework on slope/ cabin.

29 minutes ago, Temp said:

It's says "any part of the building" (the left hand corner is a part) .."measured from the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to that part"(eg adjacent to the left hand corner).

I'm sure the wording in England is different and in England it would be measured from the right hand side.

Ok if I interpret as you suggest, that in wales (for some odd reason- Id usually expect it less strict than england, or the same) it might then be measured from this L corner instead, I wonder in my case then if the H would be measured like this.. thoughts please

002.JPG

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

But, taking that “measured adjacent to that part,”. 1, the eaves no more than 2.5m high both front and back.  2, ridge no more than 4m high. Will this be ok for you?

5C599F56-FEF1-4150-B5B4-9167A2174732.jpeg

How can it be 2.5m to the eaves BOTH sides?

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

f) any part of the building, enclosure or container would be—

(i) within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse;

Just read this too, if the stream is the boundary you need to move it 2 mtrs away from your boundary.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

How can it be 2.5m to the eaves BOTH sides?

Thats the maximum allowed per side, front one obviously less, depends on cabin dimensions and slope dimensions.

I think that as an Engineering Operation, which will apply at least to the foundations, you will need PP anyway under the definitions in the 1990 act. Especially as that channel is potentially a flood relief thing of some sort.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/when-is-permission-required

IMO any debate about avoiding PP is probably a red herring. Though there may be other relevance.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

in wales (for some odd reason- Id usually expect it less strict than england, or the same)

I would call that the other way, on the basis that Wales has for 80-90% of the last 20 years basically been an elected one party Principality controlled by the most theoretically centrally-controlling of the mainstream UK political parties. Though given the current English situation, any of the three main parties could take that crown.

Not intended as a political remark.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks chaps. Unfortunately I'm as completely lost as I was. I don't know whether my (?) sketch is relevant, or totally irrelevant. And I can't comprehend the last few replies that followed it either. For eg @joe90 yes that's good for me.. but I don't know what you mean! (a better sketch than mine? yes).

If I can go back a step. I was given this gobledigook page above by my planning officer. His covering email included the following (sorry I should have included):

" Our understanding is that if the height of the building conflicts with (e) (i) and (ii) then you will need to apply for planning permission irrespective of height of land surrounding the proposed unit. "

You see how he (& maybe someone else too) also seems to have to try & decipher it?

Right @zoothorn we need a more accurate drawing with measurements to give us an idea of the actual ground slope etc, it’s dark now so  off you go after breakfast in the morning with a tape measure and pencil and paper .

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

For eg what preposterous nonsense is this " curtilage of the dwellinghouse " ! I mean for gods sake..

Curtilage of the  dwellinghouse is the garden in real speak ??????.

Ok joe90 will do just that. Was still faffing in me cuttlefish dwellingthing at 10.30pm cutting great big tree down.

I'm now thinking of invading this unreg'd land, marking it liberally with my zoot-musk & laying claim.. seriously if it might mean I can get it as I've spent alot of time  in the planning, as per my pic.

I've been onto Land Registry to try & establish what status this bank, over stream, is: registered or unreg'd. This is a new avenue of complexity: I've got to get a specific index search, fill in forms/ send off with fee, just to get answer to who owns this bit of land (why can't they just tell me?).

I was told before by Land Registry, that there are 2 unreg'd 'strips' between me & n'bor (the stream forms the boundary.. I think). Mysterious. It was clear before, that the bank was 1: but totally unclear now from another person there/ call I just made. Plan maps I have (Title Deeds) are so hopelessly small I have my house a pea size on an A4 sheet.

I did get a reply from one of you (was it @PeterW ?) on a subject with a far better map of my property, lord knows how this was achieved: I wonder if that could be posted up again?

@joe90 I spoke to my pillar chap today who expected to start this tmrw, we had it pencilled in. He said honestly round here you just do it & crack on etc. But with your replies has entered doubt & anxiety etc. Anyway, if I had to move it 2m away from stream centre.. then I could only have a 2m wide cabin. And Im still none the wiser about the H where its measured from, or know whether I can overcome this 2m limit -IF- I were to get PP for it: IE maybe if I approached PP dept I might be able to overcome these limiting factors by way of 'approval' by them having approached them. I have no idea whatsoever. I cannot understand the list of rules/ the words & sentences used, or the implication of the covering email from my PP officer.

The only thing stopping me just cracking on as I'd planned tmrw, is my sod n'bors probable calling PP dept. But I overheard him say they've sold the house/ starting the slow chain of move xyz.. yet no evidence as I can see.. so whether the time to just crack on might be as soon as they've gone & new folks in (who'd unlikely start a fuss with new only n'bor, or need to know its either not got PP, or that PP was ever needed for it) I'm not sure.

What I do know is that shifting it over 2m from stream centre, because I'm then into the steep bank & very tricky ground to put the low footings into, makes the project pretty much not-doable. Plus I could only get a 2m wide cabin in. Alot of work & expense for not much shed: cost of just doing the 3 footings will be approx £600 which is about £200 more than I expected worse-case (say £200 on other footings & base) = £800.

001.JPG

If your neighbour is moving, now's a good time to do what you want.  He's unlikely to want to start some sort of neighbour dispute that might affect his sale, and he probably no longer gives a toss as he's out of there.  Your new neighbour will just accept what's there when they arrive.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

Just get on and do it.  This is a simple garden outbuilding. Some things you can over think.

Understood Dave.

I would if it wasn't for my n'bors. I have no definite proof they've sold (just overheard so, albeit from Mr.sod in  shop). 

Plus they recently put up a provocative 2-seat area, overlooking most of my gdn just across stream (1 year+ major fallout- this was deliberate), which I challenged them on pretty firmly "have you got PP for that??". Now taken away thank god, due to me whacking on my radio coinciding with them sitting nattering/ clinking away eating etc (unbearably close). so Ive won this & all quiet/ huge relief.

But if a PP opportunity arises for them to get back at me.. they just will whether or not its just sold.

So it is overthinking perhaps (they might not think any PP issues) or, its being prudent I don't know.

12 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

If your neighbour is moving, now's a good time to do what you want.  He's unlikely to want to start some sort of neighbour dispute that might affect his sale, and he probably no longer gives a toss as he's out of there.  Your new neighbour will just accept what's there when they arrive.

Exactly what I've thought of.. & it does tip it in this favour. But you've no idea how sneaky & the animosity here: not only these 2 but a worse couple other side of me, friends of theirs, who hate me so much to use dogmuck at me for 1.5 yrs (never proven/ seen but I know 100% them). I also sorted this by hurling it back at theirs.. but its only meant they're irate & opened a new front (noise complaint to council latest thing). Any other opportunity & they'll jump at. They cant PP complain themselves (cabin not seen to them), but will butter up new folks & suggestive manipulating -will- happen "does he have PP for that? its very big.. ooh I wouldn't be happy.. he caused them alot of stress with this cabin/ he never got PP" (lies, manipulation etc she's I admit superb at/ known for & done to me especially since I moved here 3 yrs ago: anti-english most of the reason). Thats not paranoia, or overthinking. Its what will happen.

• 10 months later...

Hi all. back onto this job. I need to put a layer ontop of my base here, for my t&g log cabin to go on.

[2.5 m square cabin, front will face twds white bag, single noggins below (front 'deck' next to white bag, has double noggins)].

It was suggested I think, but I've searched in vain.. OSB, PIR, & an outer 3x2 'frame'.

I think idea was 3x2 outer frame > PIR/ OSB inside it, just resting ontop my base (or PIR friction-fit in joists 1st?).

Was it a @PeterW idea I wonder: can anyone shed any light? (pun sadly intended). Thanks- zH

002.JPG

Not really. I used the forum search function. Typed in "zoot osb pir" and put you as the author. A quick scroll through the pages that came up and I came across your thread:

Screenshot_20200515-132152_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8a8b97ba304add05e1a6602ae2c8644f.jpg