Basework on slope/ cabin.

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

How do you install, tractor pto?

No, crowbar. First make a hole with the crowbar in the ground ( pilot hole) then just wind the screw pile in with a bar through a hole in the top, keep going till it’s solid. Simples. They are after all DIY manual screw piles.

Edited by joe90
Add

Thinking about this a bit more, an advantage of these screw piles is that you can keep going until firm ground is found, even if this was below stream bed level, just need to extend them if necessary. Long term we had planned a summer house of some type in the garden (when I get the house and garden finishe£ ?) and frankly I will now be using screw piles ( done enough digging to last a lifetime).

When we were looking at using them I went to a demo of them being used as foundations for overhead sign gantries on major roads.  Very impressive, especially as they could drive the screw piles in, then fit the new gantry, all in the space of about an hour.  We were told that they have extension tubes, if needed, for greater depth.  For putting in larger ones they use a torque head on a small digger and drive the pile until a set torque is reached, as the driving torque is a good indicator for bearing capacity.

• Like 1

Just a heads up..  Outbuildings don't normally need planning permission but "raised platforms" over 30cm high do.  I think you are probably ok as the 30cm will be measured at the top where it's not that much above the local ground level. 

If your garden is narrow... there is also be a limit on the max height of the eaves/ridge near the boundary. I forget the details but it can be looked up. 

I haven't heard about this.. only max H of such a thing no more than 4m in wales.

Sounds like the groundscrew is the right thing for the job to me, & hopefully that £900 can be totally slashed! Im all www'ing tmrw on where/ cost etc.

Excellent help- so grateful chaps.

Btw- is this a decent place to ask about a neighbour dispute re. a flippin great big tree? asked on a gardening forum (& this base Q.. all snooty tooty noses in the air dericate frowers those lot! urgh).

36 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Btw- is this a decent place to ask about a neighbour dispute re. a flippin great big tree? asked on a gardening forum (& this base Q.. all snooty tooty noses in the air dericate frowers those lot! urgh).

Maybe try www.gardenlaw.co.uk

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

It's not a banned topic here, but there are some restrictions on what can and cannot be discussed in public, particularly with regard to anyone being able to be identified in the discussion, so it's a bit sensitive.  There's no reason I can see not to discuss an issue in general terms, not naming anyone or giving away information that would make them easily identifiable.

Whether anyone here has the expertise to give reliable advice I don't know, but I'd guess that many may well have had issues with boundaries, trees and hedges etc, so if you were to start a topic, perhaps in the legal issues section, you may well get some help.  The only word of caution I'd give is that legal advice from any internet forum is ultimately only worth what you paid for it, so you would have to judge whether it applied to your particular circumstances, so I'd only take it as guidance, just because the devil is always in the detail with this sort of thing.

If there's anything in such a thread that looks a bit iffy, then the worst that might happen is that we hide it and PM you to let you know why.

Hi JSHarris,

totally understood, thanks for the information. I'd never name real names, either myself/ a**h*le neighbour "Igor" (I get radio alarm clock.. then he get radio alarm clock) no no. Its just general advice & protocol on a simple matter. It just seems full of sensible helpful chaps on here afaict.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Hi JSHarris,

totally understood, thanks for the information. I'd never name real names, either myself/ a**h*le neighbour "Igor" (I get radio alarm clock.. then he get radio alarm clock) no no. Its just general advice & protocol on a simple matter. It just seems full of sensible helpful chaps on here afaict.

Crack on then and post a new topic and you’ll probably get answers ... 

Ive got onto Stopdigging, seem to be the big groundscrew Co afaict, & getting a quote to me for couple of their guys to come/ put in I think 8 of them needed. Terrific- never even knew what a groundcrew existed until this thread. Will update.

thanks zoot

On 13/06/2018 at 11:52, PeterW said:

Ground screws would be cheap and simple. Other option is a post hole borer and fill with concrete as you go. Mix it with quick set and then just add some rebar to the top to tie in the “pretty” bits ... upturned buckets with the bottom cut out make good formwork for piers too. 

I was a bit alarmed at the KG ''1 to 1.5 tons'' DunsterHouse said on phone. I asked specifically about the 3x3m Avon one I have in mind, with extra thickness to walls of 44mm + double glazing.

Im concerned about this weight on say 8 groundscrews. Also won't I need to add piers ontop of the ones on the slope side to get me up to height? I think the idea of groundscrews is they go into the ground almost all the way bar 6" or so protruding.

You could extend the lower ground screws with a timber frame, diagonally braced, simples. In fact I would diagonally brace the two sides as well so there would be no “ racking”.

27 minutes ago, joe90 said:

You could extend the lower ground screws with a timber frame, diagonally braced, simples. In fact I would diagonally brace the two sides as well so there would be no “ racking”.

Thing is Joe, the 1.3 ton load..  a friend in village has this 3x3m same Avon cabin 44m thick walls/ 2x glazed etc.. & just looking at his piers of only 1-2ft or so @ periphery, 4 corners & 1 each at side mids.. you can tell there's huge weight on each. And they're telegraph pole sections/ pretty HD supports.

Is there any way you can do me a diagram of this diagonal brace idea? I think Im on board, but joining a to b.. & in lieu of what I'm concerned about re. weight as said here, what is the suggestion for the extentions ontop of the Gscrew tops? I mean what guage & material?

You’re putting all the timber into compression which is it’s strongest a long as you don’t compromise the structure by drilling too many holes in it. 

1300kg is nothing - you could stand that on a 4x4 fence post at each corner and it wouldn’t move ... until you pushed it ..!! The structure below the cabin needs to be braced to stop it racking or twisting. Quickest and cheapest way is coach bolt 4x2 timbers into a cross between each leg. Slightly more expensive but just as effective is to use wire and strainers. 8mm Stainless steel wire is more than up to the job and easy to install - it’s also less conspicuous than timber too. 

The trick is to create triangles and then work out how to retain each corner and you will build in the strength. 

• Like 1

You will need to consider how you are regulated being near a “watercourse”. Depends on the type of watercourse, but flow and flood and also pollution potential during or after the build may be relevant. Anything about vegetation?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/owning-a-watercourse

I like the idea of screw piles, if they are designed to take whatever loads are put on them by attaching 3-4m posts to the top and having a large shed on top of that. What sideways or vertical-plane twisting load would be put on the joint at the base of the post by a  gale incident on the shed?

I might be tempted to treat it as a platform, with a shed put on top of the platform.

One other option is to build the platform from scaffold, which would be more predictable to work with. Depends on the visuals.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

On 22/06/2018 at 18:05, Russell griffiths said:

https://pin.it/nx5myt3s6l3ikz

Bracing pic in link. 

can you get any largish machinery into the back garden

i have just had some large telegraph pole sections banged into the ground with a tracked post knocker

this would be perfect if you can get it in. 

Many thanks for replies chaps (took a few days off- needed a break form n'bor probs).

All info taken on board & considering. Alot of options.. its a Q of choosing the -correct- one for the ground I have. The thing Im concerned about is why the builder I had here to weigh up his opinion 'easy- mini digger > holes > concrete 40cm sq blocks > piers [I do s'how] on top // Quote: £900'.. doesn't chime with any of the suggestions here. That concerns me (seemed little consideration- just 'trust me- I have 40 yrs experience') his suggestion, who am I to disagree with being not even a building novice??

On 22/06/2018 at 18:05, Russell griffiths said:

https://pin.it/nx5myt3s6l3ikz

Bracing pic in link. 

can you get any largish machinery into the back garden

i have just had some large telegraph pole sections banged into the ground with a tracked post knocker

this would be perfect if you can get it in. 

I can get a mini digger in (but wouldn't even a 1 ton small one bodge up my new lawn??).

So tell me about your telegraph poles, as these I saw this exact cabin I have in mind sat on at my friends' place.. albeit not on a big slope. How are they fixed into the ground? how deep are they into ground? what load have you got ontop? how many/ on periphery square, like my idea?

In principle the Gscrew idea seems the best.. but its just this considerable slope which concerns me, & the ground bank above the close stream in which the 2 lower/ prob ones will go is hard now.. but usually soft & not so stable. IE unless, I'd surmise, I can whack an enormous depth screw in these 2 low ones (or 3 probably sensible) of say I don't know 1.5m in.. then I'm not so sure.

*I wonder if I should be considering, from a sensible pov, putting in a retaining wall barrier > levelling off the slope as best I can -FIRST- before then putting in Gscrews? what do you think? I can only envisage some sort of concreted-in posts, maybe those HD concrete H-shaped posts (?), then slotting in barrier sections (again what concrete again?).. then pulling the soil across with a pick/ hard work.

I don't know enough about loads/ basic xyz pressure pooints enough to forumlate an answer. I MUST do this right, once, even if its a bit OTT (this will give me peace of mind).. but not so OTT as to being £1k+ or more (with piers ontop) Ive been quoted.

I really neeed opinions on whether this * idea is sensible, stupid, not needed, OTT.. any opinions if you please.