Gate Pillars

Onoff

Sitting here drinking tropical IPA from Lidl waiting for the sun to go down a bit...

The volume...

I've a rectangular section 550x550x65 = 

19662500 mm3

Then a square pyramid, 550x65 =

6554166.6666667 mm3

So added together a total volume of:

26216666.6666667 mm3

Converting to m3:

0.02621666666666670406 m3 to fill up

I've now to convert that to 4:1:1/2 plastering sand/cement/lime in kg...

More IPA whilst I think about it...

Edited by Onoff

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Did you properly vibrate it ..??

Yep. Cut down old SDS bit held against those metal straps. A few bubbles came up I was surprised at as the admix is a deaerator too. More seemed to flow over the edges than "compact" down into the mould.

40kg plastering sand
10kg cement
5kg hydrated lime
500g black mortar tone powder

A litre of Everbuild Waterproofer in a bucket of water to mix it all up with.

...loads left over...whoops!

A square of 25x25x2.5 galv mesh pushed in with a couple of old M16 resin anchor studs held in with a couple of nuts and plate washers, this just to give a bit of lateral security when it sits atop the hollow brick pillar.

• Like 1

How soon can I take the form work off of this cap stone? Unscrew the 4 metal brackets holding the pipe square on then remove the corner angle irons...or maybe just take two sides off?

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

How soon can I take the form work off of this cap stone? Unscrew the 4 metal brackets holding the pipe square on then remove the corner angle irons...or maybe just take two sides off?

Assuming its cast in concrete or cement/stone dust then 24 hours min, but 48 hours will be ideal - just be gentle with the edges until it fully cures

Did you use rapid..?? And how “sharp” do you want the edges ..? I usually knock out after 24 hours and clean up any edges while soft and then leave them to sit on a pallet to dry and cure properly. 

4 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Frankly, this is the most exciting thing going on at the moment. (I lead a sad life) Waiting to see how this turns out......

So if it’s like the UFH and bathroom, it will be turned out tomorrow, a photo posted of it and then nothing..... then you’ll see them installed in 2024 using a scratch built hoist that uses the rear axle of a Capri along with some “spare” RSJ and powered by an 18v battery drill ... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

42 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Did you use rapid..?? And how “sharp” do you want the edges ..? I usually knock out after 24 hours and clean up any edges while soft and then leave them to sit on a pallet to dry and cure properly. 

No just ordinary Portland, got some in the end.

2 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Frankly, this is the most exciting thing going on at the moment. (I lead a sad life) Waiting to see how this turns out......

You need to re read my cracked spray paint thread again for an adrenaline rush !!

• Haha 1

Took the drip bead former and sides off of my pier cap mould. Looks like it has potential. Clearly a (very) few air bubbles got trapped but thinking maybe I can fill them with something? Gave the top a quick going over with a piece of broken Celcon then hoovered the top and the drip channels. I'll let it set for a couple of days then invert onto a pallet and see what the top side has come out like. Where I siliconed the internal corners and ran the Fugi Cramer tool along seems to have worked and given me rounded edges. I'll put the two best edges the side you see! ?

IMG_20210602_174655793.thumb.jpg.fdbbfbd8e59dc6e779384dce1e18574e.jpg

IMG_20210602_174702889.thumb.jpg.632b673decbfcc13804c05b8eb66fe20.jpg

IMG_20210602_174649137.thumb.jpg.a35b9c9182c5f7df71f9e8fbb67f7863.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

... I'll let it set for a couple of days then invert onto a pallet and see what the top side has come out like.

My local art stone cill fabricator won't ship to a customer for 10 days in order to let the casting strengthen.

• Like 1