Gate Pillars

Onoff

I want gothic/grotesque but SWMBO wants cute and cuddly. 

Toying with making our own. Maybe let my daughter loose with some chicken wire, expanding foam gun etc. Quite like the idea of something serpentine that wraps around the pillar. Like the bad guy from Monsters Inc...or at least something(s) that peer down at you.

Is there such a tool as a 3D pantograph? 

41 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

You could put a couple of Sheela na gig's on the posts.  Be a talking point, if nothing else.  Might cause a few awkward questions from the kids, though...

Am I the only one that had to google that?

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

You could put a couple of Sheela na gig's on the posts.  Be a talking point, if nothing else.  Might cause a few awkward questions from the kids, though...

Without Googling, Celtic fertility effigies. (I've some Irish in me).

Given me some ideas for a letter box and somewhere to hide bullet cameras though! ?

• Haha 1

Celtic Fertility Images. Lol.

My iPad defines a Sheela-na-Gig 'Allo 'Allo style as "wonking woman".

We already discussed this at adequate length wrt to @Onoff's gatepost. In 2017, so a rapid prototyping development methodology.

Twas @jamiehamy who was discussing them with an unknown woman on a train in South Yorkshire, apparently. 

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

We already discussed this at adequate length wrt to @Onoff's gatepost. In 2017, so a rapid prototyping development methodology.

Quicker than the bathroom then! :)

Just been to Selco and got the bricks I was short for the other pillar.

@nod, @Brickie evening!

I'm anxious to try and prevent my nice new pillar(s) from leaching salts and going white. Going to give them a Disclean wash and rinse.

Any issue, as it's new, if I then go over the brickwork with Thompsons water seal?

Cheers

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

@nod, @Brickie evening!

I'm anxious to try and prevent my nice new pillar(s) from leaching salts and going white. Going to give them a Disclean wash and rinse.

Any issue, as it's new, if I then go over the brickwork with Thompsons water seal?

Cheers

Nothing stopping you from washing the salt off but I wouldn’t seal them 

22 minutes ago, nod said:

Nothing stopping you from washing the salt off but I wouldn’t seal them 

Can I ask the reason why not to?

Down here in the bottom of a misty valley, things go green real quick.

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Can I ask the reason why not to?

Down here in the bottom of a misty valley, things go green real quick.

In my experience when the salt want to come out it will find a way 

A better alternative might be to spray with a salt inhibitor

• Thanks 1

On 01/10/2019 at 17:13, Ferdinand said:

Celtic Fertility Images. Lol.

My iPad defines a Sheela-na-Gig 'Allo 'Allo style as "wonking woman".

Twas @jamiehamy who was discussing them with an unknown woman on a train in South Yorkshire, apparently. 

F

Oh I knew who she was okay! Hails from Oxfordshire now and apparently holds events celebrating the lady part in question. But I digress....! 

• Haha 1

Made a start on the other pillar:

20191006_131744

Used mortar gun:

20191006_144101

All pointed and cleaned off now. Dead handy to be able to shift the gate way over to the right with the extension rail.

Cheap Chinese laser used to make sure its level with the other side.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

2 courses of facing bricks next then weld an angle on to support the first inset section and whack in a Celotex "brick" to be dug out later for the brick light. Having to keep it covered so it doesn't fill up with beech leaves!

2019-10-07_09-49-05

Pier caps...

We're going to make these, firstly on cost grounds and second for the fun of the maths in making the formwork:

s-l225.jpg.ad943517faf4f68c682fd5da93e14325.jpg

Any pointers on the mix? Sharp sand cement maybe, mesh? Maybe line the former with DPM for a smooth finish?

Is there a set angle for run off on these?

Cheers

I bought some from the manufacturers and when I went to pick them up I could see how they were made. There's no mesh inside, just soft or silver sand and cement.

The moulds have the look of being painted with liquid rubber, which I imagine is a release agent. DPM would be too thick and wrinkly, but if you have any tanking liquid from your bathroom renovation that might do the job???

Make sure you buy all your sand in one go to make sure you get colour consistency 

• Thanks 1

For a good finish the moulds need to be pretty smooth.  A friend used to make concrete staircases (high end stuff, with a polished finish) and the moulds they used were made from plate glass.  I've seen a concrete coffee table made using a mould made from laminate covered boards.  The finish on that was pretty good. 

I think that one challenge maybe how to ensure there are no air bubbles on the surface.  Not sure how to go about getting rid of them, but I suspect one key thing may be the "wettability" of the mould.  Not sure if wiping a very thin coat of a surfactant, like washing up liquid, over the surface might help reduce the incidence of surface bubbles or not.  Lots of people use ready-made moulds for casting things like garden ornaments, so there's probably a wealth of information around on how best to do this.