Gate Pillars

Onoff

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

My son just has a chuckle whilst we were going through the box with the sliding gate motor, controls, photocells etc. 2010 I bought the kit...

Hey! No laughing matter - you’re only 9 years late ....?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not saying I'm tired or that I need an eye test but I've just attempted to weld brass to steel! Half asleep I cut it, clamped it and had a confusing few minutes. Gave up, grabbed another bit of scrap angle, (galvanised) welded no problem after dressing the edges.

Brass angle came out of Molins in Deptford. 

Edited by Onoff

48 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not saying I'm tired or that I need an eye test but I've just attempted to weld brass to steel! Half asleep I cut it, clamped it and had a confusing few minutes. Gave up, grabbed another bit of scrap angle, (galvanised) welded no problem after dressing the edges.

Brass angle came out of Molins in Deptford. 

Oh how I miss the bathroom thread ..... ?

40 minutes ago, CC45 said:

is the bathroom actually totally finished?

A few minor bits to sort like a mirror,  toothbrush charger, bog roll dispenser, shelves in the cupboard...plumb the UFH in...plumb the towel rail in...connect the body dryer permanently...do the WC odour take off...

So NO! ?

But I've just had a nice rainfall shower with the Bluetooth speakers blaring.

• Haha 1

The lad and I did a few more courses. We are not brickies by a long shot!

20190908_190259

20190908_190311

Made a faux pas! 7th course high is a few mm higher than it should be. There's  an angle iron welded to the box section that the set back brick at course 7 should have sat on directly. I unfortunately put muck on it then the brick. 

Living with it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Did you used to work for them?

I did 3 years at Saunderton.

No my brother's FiL did, Wally James was his name. I got to clear his shed out a couple of years back (had the shed too tbh ? ).

Oddly enough I collected one of my welders earlier from my parents elderly neighbour and was making him laugh telling how I'd tried to arc weld steel to brass. Turns out his BiL worked for Molins too. I'll find out his name.

Only places I've ever frequented in Deptford was Garlands and the Rose Of Denmark.

Did some work at Rothmans in Aylesbury.

Edited by Onoff

Reckon I need to claw back 12mm in height :( Due to a combo of initially the welded angle issue then too thick mortar lines and basically not working to those lines. My fault.

20190908_190311

Each horizontal black line on the post is 75mm apart. Where the bricks finish at the mo it's 63mm to the next black line! So 12mm in total.

Thinking to thin 3 courses by 4mm each using the diamond blade in the evolution saw.

Just now, Russell griffiths said:

Don’t do it, if you cut one it will stand out like dogs balls. 

Why can you not just carry on as you are. 

Top of brick has to finish level with that wooden former on the front. What do you reckon lose it on the joints?