Gate Pillars

Onoff

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

@Onoff can you finish the bloody bathroom first ? ?

Trying to think of reasons to stay out of the house at the moment! :)

Multiple threads likely!

Edited by Onoff

4 minutes ago, CC45 said:

why the linseed oil?

I presume it's something to do with stopping the salts/effervescense? 

Why not do the whole column I wonder?

I was thinking to use these st/st helical wall ties cut down to to say 400mm:

Screenshot_20190507-061548_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c12db19c94e7b49cb6efdfd20d87e5a3.jpg

Did wonder whether I could use standard wall ties set at 45deg on each  corner?

image_anysize.jpeg.4ab480a58bfe521a91068054612e8eda.jpeg

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I would fill with concrete as you build up.

Not the same day though,risk of blowing the brickwork out. If you are mass filling,I’d just hang ties into the void. They’ll tie the brickwork to the concrete & make it all solid. 

As @Mr Punter says-the linseed oil prevents staining on engineering bricks. Only paint the faces which will be seen,and I wouldn’t vouch for using it on any other brick susceptible to staining (soft reds for example.) Might be fine but I’ve never tried it. 

1 hour ago, Brickie said:

That’ll be your dpc then. 

Around the outside of the pillar sure but if I infill with concrete won't the damp creep up through that?

Saying that I'll add waterproofer as I always do.

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Around the outside of the pillar sure but if I infill with concrete won't the damp creep up through that?

Saying that I'll add waterproofer as I always do.

We had block piers built around the steels for our gates - contractor was wary of backfilling with concrete as he was worried that the weight of it as it went in could yank out cables for the sensors & lights. 

We had loads of sand & cement left over from the render so made a dry mix and backfilled it with that. Easy to go in and will go off over time, giving the pillars some additional mass.

• Like 1

I'm thinking to 

6 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

We had block piers built around the steels for our gates - contractor was wary of backfilling with concrete as he was worried that the weight of it as it went in could yank out cables for the sensors & lights. 

We had loads of sand & cement left over from the render so made a dry mix and backfilled it with that. Easy to go in and will go off over time, giving the pillars some additional mass.

Ta. What ratio?

Until @Bitpipe's dry mix comment I was thinking to insert some cut down scaffold boards the height of the flint panels, width is about spot on,  then  infill the column with a wet mix.Once removed it'd leave a nice recess for my flintwork. These will be actual flints, a lot with fossils in, collected by SWMBO's geologist cousin before his death so it'll have a sentimental element.

• Like 2

Ordered my bricks. Collecting tonight.

Reading @AnonymousBosch's comments ref dry mix elsewhere...

I've probably 10 bags of cement a couple of years old. Wondering whether that with some ballast would be alright for infilling the pillars as I build them just to use it up.