Delayed facing brick supply, how high can the inner blockwork go?

It looks like I will be waiting a few months for my chosen facing bricks. How high can the inner blockwork be laid while waiting for a delivery of facing bricks?

In the context of this question I am assuming the planning office will OK use of grey or red engineering bricks upto DPC.

I have been in a panic about delays, but looking back it is me that is actually holding up proceedings 

have you dug your footings?

have you laid the concrete?

have you got your floor in?

drainage? Services?

if you place an order now by the time you are ready I bet a couple of months would have passed. 

• Like 1

With the thin joint ststem I believe you can take it right up to wall plate but you should speak to a rep or someone before considering that.

For s&c mortar,really the biggest consideration is safety. If you are having catnc style lintels then you can only go up to head of frame & rack back;if they’re separate lintels for inner & outer leaf then you could go up to first floor joist. I certainly wouldn’t put the joists on though without the outer leaf being up first though. 

Your enemy is going to be the wind-any work above 4-5 courses is going to need bracing to stop it being blown over. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brickie said:

Your enemy is going to be the wind-any work above 4-5 courses is going to need bracing to stop it being blown over. 

This sounds like hip height and maybe a few more courses up to nose height at corners without bracing?

Then there is that 140mm beefed up internal wall discussed in another thread, it would be tied into the external block wall at one end and 5m away at the other end there would be that "abutment pillar" (two blocks wide x 700mm long) to take the decorative oak lintel mentioned in yet another thread.

I also have a kitchen cooker alcove formed with blocks and the same for the feature fireplace in the sitting room, I hope these will act as bracing pillars and hence support a 2m block height locally. The plot is in a sheltered position.

Given an 80m house perimeter plus some internal walls I hope this will create a few weeks of work prior to the facing bricks arriving.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

if you place an order now by the time you are ready I bet a couple of months would have passed. 

Lead times seem to be worse for fancy heritage range bricks.

At a recent trade show a junior at a stand seemed to take delight in claiming I would have to wait 6 to 7 months for my bricks. The following day the MD of the brick manufacturer hinted that a single house production run could be squeezed in within half that time.

And yes I have all those things on your check list to do, just planning ahead and thinking what can I do before September once the beam & block floor is in.