Roofing Brackets: anyone used a pair?

I am now deep into the full-on DIY self-build process, and it looks like I'll be using NuLok roofing. Because I can DIY that, I hope.

To make things a bit more tasty, I have a slightly annoying hip, a pretty annoying knee, and  less than optimal hands. But I'm not going to let that stop me. 

Researching the issue of how to perch my fat @rse as comfortably as I can while on the roof, I bumped into these .  But they're Murcan. And I can't find any made in the UK.

Well, if Trump wants a trade war, he's got one. I'm buying nowt from the Yankees. That'll teach him.

I've asked around and the roofers I know (drink with) all think I'm soft: they never use them - indeed most had never heard of them.

But we will have, won't we? Apart from @Construction Channel who has prolly made his own, does anyone know where I can lay my hand on one (some)?

I just walk around on the battens, but i seem to remember @iSelfBuild rigging up something similar for his build. ill have a dig around for you,

in fairness what is shown there is made for felt shingles so i fear it may damage your slates, what you really want is just a little chair that you can hang off your battens and sit next to where you are working as you go up on the diagonal (assuming nulock are laid in the same patten as proper slating) alas i fear the twisting will end up being just as bad for you in the long run but im not against anyone trying it first.

edit this is what i was remembering but it looks like he used it to clad and fit windows for his dormers :( 

Have you tried alternative methods for finding some help

i have been having nightmares about finding a couple of lads to help me tie up all the steel in my piling ring beam

everybody I call is very interested but only wants to price it as a complete job, supply all steel come in with 5-6 guys smash it in a week and leave with £12000 of my hard earned cash, this is not what I want. SO

in a fit of desperation I drove onto a large development site 5 minutes from my place and spoke to 2 lads working near a piling rig, they pointed to a group tying up rebar in the shade, BINGO 5 minutes later I’ve got 2 lads who want to work weekends in this good weather, happy to work with me, like the sound of cash, even said they will come and do a couple of hours every night, 

young lads with young families and a mortgage 

and even on day work I think it will come in a good few grand cheaper than any of the companies I contacted. 

Try it you never know. 

Russ. 

18 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

i have been having nightmares about finding a couple of lads to help me tie up all the steel in my piling ring beam

[...]

Try it you never know. 

I work non-stop, the weather's too good to 'waste' But you are right 

before this goes any further, are you nailing directly to sarking or onto battens?

if battens I fear these will break a lot of slates

25 deg is pretty shallow, have you tried just sitting on the roof and pretending to lay some slates, (if you are sitting instead of kneeling you would start in the bottom right assuming you are right handed)

18 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

That is shallow and very doable. I installed Nu-Lok on a 30 degree roof and it's easy to sit sideways on the battens. On the main roof, at 42 degrees, I fitted the battens but I found it harder on my knees.

3 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

@Construction Channel and @PeterStarck: I'm right handed. My left hip and right knee are shot. 

So, I'm after a safe perch for my botticelli. Somewhere to rest for a bit, and maybe put the odd tool safely.

Nulok has metal battens , Ed.

I don't know if it might be possible to use a couple of the vertical channels that clip between the battens to mount a support, to sit on

• Like 1

ahh, i really should have watched the install video before getting involved, as your not using a hammer it won't make much difference where you start, 

are you intending to put your seat on top of the laid tiles or not?

if not im sure a capable man like yourself could knock up something similar to @iSelfBuild,

if you are im not sure how you would get on with the system, as there are no nails to hang the special brackets on its going to get fairly complicated unless you use parts of the nulock system in your bracket, but even then i cant see how you would get it back out without leaving a hole

7 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

if you are im not sure how you would get on with the system, as there are no nails to hang the special brackets on its going to get fairly complicated unless you use parts of the nulock system in your bracket, but even then i cant see how you would get it back out without leaving a hole

I'm now wondering, is this 'seat' for when battening or tiling? If battening, no problem using the vertical channels as they just clip in but for tiling it would have to be a U section that would hang over the battens and tiles with some sort of padding to prevent the tiles cracking.

Edited by PeterStarck