Crackers or cracking.

I have spent the best part of the last two weeks putting down the type 1 for our slab, 150mm thickness in three layers, 59T in total over 127m2. It's done now but just walking on it you get a good impression of how solid it is. It set me wondering. I weight about 100kg, I am 6'4", my site boots have a ground area of 0.0225m2. Our building will weigh in at around 70T so across the whole slab that's about 583kg/m2 while I put much more that down on the area of my foot, about 4000kg/m2. This slab is not going to move anywhere. Is that overkill or what.

Edited by MikeSharp01
  • Like 1

If you are planning on some nice wood flooring remember to do a similar calculation when the mother in law turns up to the house warming party in stiletto heels :-)

As a general rule of thumb, a soil max allowable bearing load of about 100 kN/m² is what's been accepted as being OK for standard trench fill foundations for a brick or block house.  A passive slab has the massive advantage that it can support a massive load with underlying ground that's around that bearing load figure.  IIRC, I worked out that our house was imposing a load on the ground beneath of around 5 kN/m².

4 hours ago, JSHarris said:

IIRC, I worked out that our house was imposing a load on the ground beneath of around 5 kN/m².

That's about my 583Kg (5.7Kn) / m2, I do seem to recall you saying that passive slabs were overkill. 

6 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

That's about my 583Kg (5.7Kn) / m2, I do seem to recall you saying that passive slabs were overkill. 

Apropos of not very much, that is very nearly the ground pressure exerted by a medium sized elephant.

http://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/askaphysicist/physics-answer.cfm?uid=20090910093223