If it goes click, I'll buy it......

7 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:
  • Hoselock
  • Kwikstage
  • Dursiol (pushing it a bit that one: the blocks do have a male and female 'end')
  • Click flooring
  • Cladding
  • SDS
  • Nulok roofing
  • HeP 2O

'Taint warit yoused ter b is it?

Handcuffs?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

My hip, hopefully @newhome.

If I sit down for any length of time, and then stand up quickly, there's a widely audible click and an cheeky level of pain in my left hip.

I need some medical WD40 . Recommendations ?

I have a similar issue with my knee. 7 weeks post op and it’s as bad as ever. If you find any miracle cures let me know! I’ve tried most of the whacky things and none of them do jack! Might help if I was a believer of the weird and wonderful ;)

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

My hip, hopefully @newhome.

If I sit down for any length of time, and then stand up quickly, there's a widely audible click and an cheeky level of pain in my left hip.

I need some medical WD40 . Recommendations ?

Vitamin D helps strengthen bones even in us oldies, it won't repair damage though.

My sister (who has never been more than a size 10) needed a hip replacement in her late 50s.  

doing the recommended physio exercises delayed the need for the op BUT more importantly really supported the joint after her op and got her fully mobile agin very quickly.  She was Scottish dancing again withing 6 weeks.

She has just been back for exrays on her other hip and they are amazed she has only just started having pain as her hip is shot.  

Lesson being whilst hip breakdown cannot be repaired without surgery, strong supporting muscles really makes a difference.

• Like 1

Turmeric for joint pain. I've a bfo jar my Gurkha mate's mum grew in Nepal. Mind blowing compared to the crap we buy here.

His missus made me some massala chai from all her spices brought back. Best tea I've ever had. Could actually feel it coursing through my veins! Colours were brighter and everything more vivid.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Lesson being whilst hip breakdown cannot be repaired without surgery, strong supporting muscles really makes a difference.

I had physio for 5 months before the op. I'm sure it helped afterwards but the shooting pain in the actual knee doesn't help. That seems to be getting worse rather than better unfortunately and sadly the op didn't actually fix the main problem so my consultant says he's not surprised that the pain is there still. 3 months is D day apparently so still a bit to go to see if it will get better.  

24 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Turmeric for joint pain.

Did Turmeric and high dose curcumin for about a year along with Omega 3 and about half a dozen other joint related things but I never noticed any difference sadly. Might start taking them again - can't make it any worse I guess. 

Edited by newhome
  • Like 1

Anyway the click you need to watch out for is the one following the visit from the people in white coats that tells you that you are now incarcerated in a safe, secure and probably padded room of your own next to Jack Nicholson.

Edited by MikeSharp01
typo

The best thing I found for hip/muscle/nerve pain both pre and post op was a TENS machine. Can be had fairly cheaply on amazon, along with sticky pads etc.

Ultimately it allowed me to do the physio that I needed to get mobile again. Without it, I'd have had to have massive doses of opiates with all the side effects that go with them.

9 hours ago, Hecateh said:

Vitamin D helps strengthen bones even in us oldies, it won't repair damage though.

Do you mean Vitamin D supplements?

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

Turmeric for joint pain.

Good in a curry, it is the bit that stains the worktops.  Some say it is a cure for cancer.

9 hours ago, newhome said:

Did Turmeric and high dose curcumin for about a year along with Omega 3 and about half a dozen other joint related things but I never noticed any difference sadly

Well they won't according to the large and long term study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine.  This report has recently been highlighted again in the national media.

If I remember correctly, the only one that showed better than placebo, was Folic Acid during pregnancy.

If you find that taking supplements for minor, almost non specific aliments, then you are either:

Getting older

Easily persuaded

There has been a lot of work done on the placebo affect, usually by social scientists (who are not scientists in the least, just people with problems they are working though).

There is now a lot of research being done into the equally successful Nocebo, this is where you are given a pill and told it has nothing active in it.  Works as well as chanting, but costs more and takes more time.

Having said that, some people do have serious problems that are misdiagnosed (took the National Spinal injuries Centre 13 years to find out what was up with my back).  But that is caused by useless Doctors, not lack of expensive supplements from Holland and Barrett.

Being overweight, even by a couple of kilos, can put extra strain on joints, tendons and muscles.  Loosing weight it probably the most important thing to tackle first.

Newhome had it right

10 hours ago, newhome said:

Might help if I was a believer of the weird and wonderful

34 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Anyway the click you need to watch out for is the one following the visit from the people in white coats that tells you that you are now incarcerated in a safe, secure and probably padded room of your own next to Jack Nicholson.

Except he was the only one that was committed, the others were inventory inmates.

(important film as it highlighted the serious misuse of power in USA mental institutions, similar to Scum and our young offender prisons)

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Good in a curry, it is the bit that stains the worktops.  Some say it is a cure for cancer

It’s not a cure for cancer, but there is some evidence that it can slow down new growth in some people and for some cancers. As with most new treatments clinical trials are underway to identify whether that’s the case.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials/intervention/curcumin

The issue with taking turmeric or the chemical within it, curcumin, is the very low bioavailability, so mostly you take in curcumin as a supplement and it comes out without much of it being absorbed. Things like oil and bioperine can help with absorption. You still need curcumin in a massive dose to help with cancer however, so 8g a day, whilst a typical highly concentrated curcumin supplement contains 5000mg so you need 16 of them a day to get to what is thought to be the optimum dose. Not a cheap thing to try.

I don’t have a complete lack of faith in supplements. Many people can be deficient in various vitamins and minerals, iron is a good and common example, and require top up via supplement. And not all herbal remedies are quackery, think foxglove and opium poppies. 

The issue with my knee is that there is a hole in my meniscus that he couldn’t fix via the arthroscopy. He thought that trimming the tear might help it to glide over the joint rather than catching but it doesn’t (at the mo anyway). It hurts when I move it when lying in bed so not even weight bearing. I doubt a supplement in the world will fix that and I don’t like taking regular painkillers. As with all health issues it helps to know what’s causing the issue so that it can be managed accordingly. Treating the wrong thing because you have made an assumption about what is wrong is never helpful. 

Edited by newhome

I take supplements as I have many deficiencies due to abdominal surgery meaning absorption of vitamins and minerals is seriously compromised.  The advice given was to take a multivitamin, B12 injections every 3 months and iron.

Following this advice my blood showed 'normal' levels of everything albeit at the very low end.  

Taking supplements way above the recommended amounts of vitamin D3 has brought my levels into the top 20th percentile  of what is considered normal.  AND I don't just feel better, I have less pain in my joints, have more energy, am a lot more active and have lost weight.  If that's a placebo effect then I'll take it thanks.  

Magnesium supplements had the placebo effect of stopping severe panic attacks and I also sleep better as I am not being woken in the night by a racing heart.

Iron -  as prescribed by the GP had horrendous abdominal effect didn't help my hb levels as I rarely took them because of side effects.

Iron - as bought after research in a much lower dose but with more available ferrous sulphate has sorted my iron levels for the first time in 20 years. Oh and it cured my tinnitus which I didn't even realise was related to iron levels until I noticed it had gone

Oh and though of course weight is important your genes are by far the bigger predictor of problems.  

I have been overweight for most of my life but it is my younger sister, who has never had a weight issue - taking after the 'other side' of the family in her proportions who is about to have her second hip replacement.  Mine are fine

2 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I have been overweight for most of my life but it is my younger sister, who has never had a weight issue - taking after the 'other side' of the family in her proportions who is about to have her second hip replacement.  Mine are fine

But you're taller and cleverer! :)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newscientist.com/article/mg22730375-000-fatter-than-your-siblings-it-could-be-because-youre-older/amp/

11 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I take supplements as I have many deficiencies due to abdominal surgery meaning absorption of vitamins and minerals is seriously compromised.  The advice given was to take a multivitamin, B12 injections every 3 months and iron.

I totally believe taking supplements is a waste of time and money if you already have optimum levels - however many people don't and taking the right amount, in the right form, at the right time can make a difference.

I also believe multivitamins are generally a waste of time.