If it goes click, I'll buy it......

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

concoction that helps us old men

Probably not except distraction therapies.

As an ex climber, you know that our joints don't ache, even when your muscles are screaming.  The fear of failure, and the potential consequences, are a much greater distraction.

Now I am off to the woods for a coffee.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Except it doesn't

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-glucosamine-really-work/

And that is just one meta analysis, there are many more.

I really do wish that witchcraft was not supported at all.

I am a one-man walking laboratory and science experiment to the efficacy of glucosamine. Over 15 years I have experienced episodes of minor joint niggles and on every occasion taking the potion for a month or two resolves the pain. Then typically I get out of the habit of taking the stuff and a joint pain returns within 6 to 24 months, I must be on my 10th cycle pain/glucosamine/fix by now.

A few years ago I followed up one formal science report that was critical of glucosamine and found the original NHS experiment was faulty. An NHS consultant in rheumatoid arthritis tried a controlled experiment on patients who were under his care and no benefit was observed. This was an unsuitable patient group given they would be experiencing advanced joint disease by the time an NHS consultant intervenes in their care.

glucosamine and chondroitin is for people of normal weight who have sensitive joints for example in the morning before the body warms up.

p.s. for some reason the syrup version delivers a fix more quickly.

Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Thanks 1

The evidence that glucosamine is slightly beneficial for joint pain from osteoarthritis seems real: http://www.cochrane.org/CD002946/MUSKEL_glucosamine-for-osteoarthritis

The summary of the evidence for glucosamine in joint pain reduction was:

Pooled results from studies using a non-Rotta preparation or adequate allocation concealment failed to show benefit in pain and WOMAC function while those studies evaluating the Rotta preparation showed that glucosamine was superior to placebo in the treatment of pain and functional impairment resulting from symptomatic OA.

The evidence that chondroitin is slightly beneficial for joint pain from osteoarthritis also seems real, but the evidence was of low quality, and that needs to be taken into account when judging the review: http://www.cochrane.org/CD005614/MUSKEL_chondroitin-osteoarthritis

The summary of the evidence for chondroitin in joint pain reduction was:

A review of randomized trials of mostly low quality reveals that chondroitin (alone or in combination with glucosamine) was better than placebo in improving pain in participants with osteoarthritis in short-term studies. The benefit was small to moderate with an 8 point greater improvement in pain (range 0 to 100) and a 2 point greater improvement in Lequesne's index (range 0 to 24), both likely clinically meaningful. These differences persisted in some sensitivity analyses and not others. Chondroitin had a lower risk of serious adverse events compared with control. More high-quality studies are needed to explore the role of chondroitin in the treatment of osteoarthritis. The combination of some efficacy and low risk associated with chondroitin may explain its popularity among patients as an over-the-counter supplement.

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

More high-quality studies are needed to explore the role of chondroitin in the treatment of osteoarthritis. 

Actually what is needed is a study of pre osteoarthritis individuals who have not yet presented to the medical authorities about joint niggles.

4 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Actually what is needed is a study of pre osteoarthritis individuals who have not yet presented to the medical authorities about joint niggles.

The same is true for many ailments, but very few large scale studies are done outwith the pharmaceutical industry and for obvious reasons they don't usually do any studies on anything that they can't profit from.

• Thanks 1

My case (hips) is a little weird, there are times ( over the last twenty years) when I can’t even put my foot to the floor because of pain,  but it does not last more than a few days,      X rays show little wear and tear. Brufen seems to help. I am booked for a DEXA scan in a month ( bone mineral density scan) because of similar pain near my hips, this is to establish whether my bones are sturdy etc, will be good to find out.

I do suffer nowadays from back and hip pain later on if I carry anything heavy during the day ( old age?)

Edited by joe90