It is possible to sack a building controller?

This is just a theoretical question.

My potential private building controller undertakes the admin work to register a new residential build with with LA Building Control. Does this irrevocably shackle me to using them for building control inspection for the whole build? If not would I still have an option to switch who does building control right up to the day before my foundations are poured?

Assume that post concrete-pour it is impossible to dismiss BC because no replacement would be able to assess the ground conditions after this event.

+1

If you needed to swap after the pour you would probably have to get some documentation from the current one. Perhaps a report/letter stating that he had inspected the trenches before the pour and found them satisfactory or something? Ask the new one what he needs. Perhaps tell the current one you need that for your lender and wait for it to arrive before sacking him?

You might find it difficult to get out of the contract unless you can show he's the one in breech - so might struggle to get your money back. 

11 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Is there a reason you have gone with a private company 

i have been very very impressed with the good service I have received from our local council bco. 

Local council BCOs can be really hit and miss - and round here they are mostly miss.... Three authorities have pooled building control so you can get one of 8 or 9 inspectors and I’ve heard from a couple of builders that despite saying they will do a “call by 12, out next day” service they have had BCOs not turn up for 48 hours and have had to cancel concrete pours. 

In the big scheme of things, paying £3-400 more for an attentive service that gives you what you need when you need it is worth it. I regularly email photos to a BCO to save him coming out twice and he happily signs off any items that are marked as defect on warranty reports from emails and photos where he can see it’s been completed. I don’t know of any councils that do that ..?

28 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Is there a reason you have gone with a private company 

i have been very very impressed with the good service I have received from our local council bco. 

Call before 10am Same day visit

Brilliant service £800 well spent

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

he happily signs off any items that are marked as defect on warranty reports from emails and photos where he can see it’s been completed. I don’t know of any councils that do that ..?

My council BCO signed off the very last thing via a photo, and he did the same for next door too. It didn't matter to me if he came out TBH as it was the last thing on the list, but I offered to send him photos and he said that was fine. I can see how irritating it would be to want to move on with something and be held up by an inspection however so I agree a few hundred seems worth the money as if you have to start cancelling trades it could end up costly both in time and money. Up here there is no such thing as a private BCO afaik however and the one here only seems to come out to inspect in this area on a Thursday, deffo not a 24 hour turnaround! 

We are on 48 hrs notice for a visit from our private BCO who is also doing the structural warrenty work. We have only had the excavation visit so far but the pipework fall / air test coming up. I did plan that for past Monday on the previous Thursday based on a just in time basis but we broke the dumper truck and so had to postpone. Learned my lesson there - Get the job finished then call the BCO and get on with other work.

• Like 1

Council guys around my neck of the woods do very well given the number of staff that have gone through budget cuts. 

I am very happy with them accepting photos, and wouldn't want it any other way. It helps me, it helps an already stretched but valuable resource, and keeps momentum up on the projects. 

Canera, and a tape measure, = satisfactory service. 

After a coupe of calls to a previous project the local BCO went to speak to the customer, unbeknown to me, and said he had no reason to keep checking my work in person. 

I guess if the BCO has no faith in what he's seen so far you'll be waiting on him, so aim higher and you'll be fine.