Private building control fees, price hike underway?

Are private building control fees typically competitive with LA?

I ask because a quote from a recommended private building control firm (with a national coverage) has come in at nearly double LA published rates. Their fee for plan assessment and new build registration is the standard £240 + vat but their inspection fee is double the LA published rate at £700 + vat and there is no warranty element to this quote. Their justification for this newly elevated price is post Grenfell professional insurance rates.

I am now in a dilemma because the private BC chaps talks a lot of sense, he knows my plot plus ground conditions and is happy for the dig to start at very short notice.

At end end of the day, 7 site visits budgeted for 2 hours each, free old-sage advice and a flexible attitude to my proposed iterative multi phase 1st/2nd fix is a good deal putting aside the LA price discrepancy. 

3 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Are private building control fees typically competitive with LA?

I ask because a quote from a recommended private building control firm (with a national coverage) has come in at nearly double LA published rates. Their fee for plan assessment and new build registration is the standard £240 + vat but their inspection fee is double the LA published rate at £700 + vat and there is no warranty element to this quote. Their justification for this newly elevated price is post Grenfell professional insurance rates.

I am now in a dilemma because the private BC chaps talks a lot of sense, he knows my plot plus ground conditions and is happy for the dig to start at very short notice.

At end end of the day, 7 site visits budgeted for 2 hours each, free old-sage advice and a flexible attitude to my proposed iterative multi phase 1st/2nd fix is a good deal putting aside the LA price discrepancy. 

I found that there wasn’t a £100 difference between all the quotes I had We chose local Counsul for convenience 

Most of the private ones wanted more notice

it I got the impression that the private ones would be more flexible with photos 

Where as any think that cropped up with foundations or drains They would say give us a couple of hours and I’ll call on

I think once the slab and drains are in 

There is nothing that won’t keep a couple of days

1 hour ago, nod said:

I found that there wasn’t a £100 difference between all the quotes I had We chose local Counsul for convenience 

Most of the private ones wanted more notice

it I got the impression that the private ones would be more flexible with photos 

Where as any think that cropped up with foundations or drains They would say give us a couple of hours and I’ll call on

I think once the slab and drains are in 

There is nothing that won’t keep a couple of days

There’s no point paying for  private

LA are at least as good