WB Greenstar vs Valliant EcoTec

Looks like open vented is the majority of installs. Plumber is on holiday, so I can't ask him unfortunately. We don't have a loft, but could the expansion tank be fitted directly above/beside the tank in the utility room? How big are we talking here? 

37 minutes ago, divorcingjack said:

Looks like open vented is the majority of installs. Plumber is on holiday, so I can't ask him unfortunately. We don't have a loft, but could the expansion tank be fitted directly above/beside the tank in the utility room? How big are we talking here? 

You want to go sealed and pressurised 100%. 

Also @PeterW, no need for G3 as it's not stored potable aka high pressure potential. 

Clarified this with Telford the other day.  Different ( lower ) T&PRV rating on a TS compared to an UVC. 

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You want to go sealed and pressurised 100%. 

Also @PeterW, no need for G3 as it's not stored potable aka high pressure potential. 

Clarified this with Telford the other day.  Different ( lower ) T&PRV rating on a TS compared to an UVC. 

That’s odd as 3.35 of the G3 Regs states otherwise ..... 

31 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That’s odd as 3.35 of the G3 Regs states otherwise ..... 

The conversation I had with Telford raised that. They're adamant. 

They say it relates to potable and not primary ( heating ) water, and as this came from Telford I'd have thought they would be a reliable source of information

43 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The conversation I had with Telford raised that. They're adamant. 

They say it relates to potable and not primary ( heating ) water, and as this came from Telford I'd have thought they would be a reliable source of information

Nope...

from the regs :

3.35 Temperature relief valves and
combined temperature and pressure relief valves should not be used in systems which have no provision to automatically replenish the stored water (e.g. unvented primary thermal storage vessels). In such cases there should be a second non-self- resetting energy cut-out independent of the one provided in accordance with paragraph 3.18(a).

As they are mentioned specifically they would still be part of the regulations as it is to do with the installation and operation of pressure vessels.  

Would be interested to know why they think they are exempt.  

What about if you adhere to their requirements and fit the 2-port that creates the high limit failsafe? 

Why do the regs never seem to just state the simple facts. :S

Makes a 45 min call to telfords tech guys a bit of a wasted exercise if that's right. Maybe they've challenged it and got it overturned by submitting a risk assessment / other get out of jail card  

• 1 month later...

Sealed needs a G3. The less than dynamic tech support "guru" was quoting me on a Tri-store, which is manual fill eg non sealed / aka open pipe / aka vented. 

Your plumber will have the manufacturers installation instructions and needs to follow those to stay on track. The MI's are the final word.