Beacon Broadband

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

Has anyone come across a company by the name of Beacon Broadband, Based in Derry and supplying wireless broadband across North and South. The numbers on their web site look attractive (£35/month for an unlimited 20mps link). No idea if they have coverage in southern Ards.

Guest Alphonsox
18 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Will that be an 'up to' and in reality only as good as you can get.

Hence the question. They seem to have a range of link speeds available - up to 40Mb/s for £55 for "home" users, Business users get "prioritised traffic" for an extra £10 a month.

Edit:- Interestingly there is no contract involved - That's quite a refreshing view to take.

Q - Is there a contract?

A - No, we believe in providing a fair and honest service and a service that works, so if for some reason we cant live up to our promises or you no longer need it we simply remove the equipment from site and cease the account.

I have a similar arrangement with a Bucks wireless provider called Rapid Rural. They put a small receiver dish with PoE, aimed at the tallest building in Aylesbury which connects to the "mains". I get unlimited broadband with around 90Mbps down and 40Mbps up. Rolling 1 month and no contract, £35 + VAT.

Generally reliable (much more so that BT FTTC), speeds do come down in the evenings when everyone is on the system. Also, it is quite different from other ISPs in that our side of the network is double-NATted - essentially like a corporate network. What this means is that I cannot allow access from the outside world into my network e.g. by configuring certain ports on the router. So I could not host my own web server at home, for example.

I gues this also improves security at my end, but if this is important to you do check before you commit.

54 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

My brother in law was laying fibre cables coming out of Bangor and ards heading down both sides of the peninsula last year. Not sure how far they got but he was on it for months and months.

Virgin are doing a big push at the mo. All of Ards, all of Comber. Carrowdore would be great but I dunno what they'd do about the last kilometre...

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

not what I would aim at it.

After we sold our old house (to raise the capital to complete our build), we rented a flat that was just the other side of that image. Lovely bit of morning shade! Now about 3 miles away as the crow flies, happy with that and perfect for aiming at!

Guest Alphonsox
26 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

@Alphonsox I am almost certain I looked at them before and they didn't cover Co. Down, may have changed though. 

Have you looked at airfibrenet or bluebox

I've sent an email to Beacon to ask if they currently have coverage at my postcode. I'll report back when I get a response.

I've heard some less than positive things about Bluebox, although that was a few years ago now. Airfibrenet is a new name to me - I'll definitely take a look.

26 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

I've sent an email to Beacon to ask if they currently have coverage at my postcode. I'll report back when I get a response.

I've heard some less than positive things about Bluebox, although that was a few years ago now. Airfibrenet is a new name to me - I'll definitely take a look.

I have also heard less than positive things about bluebox also, but I know two guys that have it and they have no real issues. My brother in-law has airfibre and has no issues it just a bit more expensive than bluebox.

Guest Alphonsox

Just got a response from Beacon Broadband -  Whilst they cover large parts of rural Northern Ireland the southern end of the Ards peninsula is just too remote even for them. They'll give me a call back if they ever make it this far.

• 3 months later...