Glass balustrades / safety barrier / railing

Products? Suppliers? Experiences?

We have friends who have gone with the bottom fixing frameless look. Mounts are ££££ extra thick glass is ££££. 

We will be happy with a simpler (cheaper) post arrangement. The perimeter of the patio is a double thickness brick/block wall and top surface will be a vit. Porcelain slab on a dry bed. The bricks are engineering bricks with holes in them so I’m not sure whether we should fill these before the slabs are laid. And then appropriate fixings will be needed for the chosen barrier format.

Comments?

I saw a simple arrangement that I am planning to replicate on my balcony.

Substantial (5" square?) timber posts with a groove routed in opposite sides into which a plain square sheet of toughened glass is inserted.

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I saw a simple arrangement that I am planning to replicate on my balcony.

Substantial (5" square?) timber posts with a groove routed in opposite sides into which a plain square sheet of toughened glass is inserted.

Certainly sounds simple. Fixing fence posts could be a problem. Found a photo of the supporting structure

Or not 

https://www.metrofixings.co.uk/main/product/productinfo/18644/Simpson-Strong-Tie-CPT44Z-89mm-x-89mm

7A6F5017-1B91-4927-8D5C-9F5B8046AA31.jpeg

Edited by daiking

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Just don’t do this. 

E9F0229D-450C-4647-94ED-3FCE665A314A.jpeg

Exactly. This is what I’m worried about happening

Just now, Mr Punter said:

What is the height of fall?

10 brick courses? ?

Could you not bolt the posts to the outside of the wall and extend your patio slabs out to just under the glass?

just crossed post with mr punter, great minds think alike ?

Edited by joe90

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would think your slabs on top of the wall will need wet solid bedding, and all fixings pass through and into the brick work. 

I would be very thoroug on filling all those holes with a good strong mix to try and avoid any voids. 

I’ll speak to the guy when we get to that. Discuss what he would do if something we to be bolted though into the wall.

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Why not face fix the posts to the brickwork?

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Could you not bolt the posts to the outside of the wall and extend your patio slabs out to just under the glass?

just crossed post with mr punter, great minds think alike ?

Fugly...

21 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Any good. 

Ive seen these sort, seem quite reasonably priced, <£100 a baluster. Do you need to buy specific sized and drilled glass or can any glass co provide them. 

To be be honest I’ve got to measure up the 2 sides to determine how much I need and check the regs for glass thickness and distance between uprights. Been a while since I’ve checked the requirements.

12 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Or you could

A possible but a bit fugly. Still going to be going into those Swiss cheese bricks.

Edited by daiking

You might want to consider stainless steel  fixing studs affixed with injectable resin. Much better if close edge distances etc. Less chance of break out. 

Edit: In one of @recoveringacademic's threads, the use of resin anchors into hollow blocks is discussed in depth I seem to recall inc the use of mesh sleeves / socks to contain the resin.

Edited by Onoff