Dishwasher water inlet

vivienz

It seems to be my week for thicky questions, or certainly naive ones.  I've only ever had one dishwasher and this has finally given up after 18 years of service, so I know very little about all their bits and bobs.  The new one is coming tomorrow, so we were taking out the old one this evening.

Crack, spray, squelch.  The plastic part that is on the end of the water inlet hose and between that and the connector that screws into the dishwasher broke and is beyond repair. 

Is the part that screws into the new dishwasher a standard thing, or do they vary in size from brand to brand?  Can I just walk into a plumbing supplier and just buy a new one, or do I need to order from a supplier?

Standard part. You need a new complete hose, just a standard cold fill hose variously described as washing machine or dishwasher hose.

It's done well at 18 years even if it had not broke, I would replace it at that age.

My new dishwasher came with a new hose. I even managed to remove the old dishwasher and connect the new one which was a miracle in itself. 

Edited by newhome

Thanks, newhome.  The connections are simple enough, and we've moved the old one in and out often enough with various repairs over the years.  I'm not paying £60 to have the new one connected when it's only a case of screwing a hose in; I have my adjustable spanner at the ready.  I think it's a right handed one, ProDave!

10 hours ago, newhome said:

My problem was getting the old one out as I had to remove the tiles at the front! The rest was pretty straightforward. 

Are you saying someone tiled the kickboard?

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Are you saying someone tiled the kickboard?

Lol, no but the tiles didn’t go under the dishwasher and it was a tall one that I couldn’t lower enough to get it over the thickness of the tiles so had to remove the 2 in front. Bought a more adjustable dishwasher this time around. A smart person would have tiled under the dishwasher ;). Guess I could have chopped the legs off with some beast of a tool but removing the tiles seemed the safer option. 

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Before you put the new one in, tile the recess, or at least put a sheet of plywood in to bring it up to the same level as the tiles.

Already done and dusted. Plenty of adjustment in the legs however that will make it easy to get out next time it nukes. I’m rather hoping this one will keep going until I move however. 

The worst ones (from a tradesmans point of view) are kitchens with soft vinyl flooring that rips as soon as you try and pull a unit out.

That coupled with the socket it plugs into hidden behind the machine so you have to pull it out (thinking PAT testing for rental properties here)  Why can't people put the socket somewhere you can reach it with the machine still in.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That coupled with the socket it plugs into hidden behind the machine so you have to pull it out (thinking PAT testing for rental properties here)  Why can't people put the socket somewhere you can reach it with the machine still in.

Ah well at least the OH had the foresight to do that. The socket is in the adjoining cupboard. Thankfully all sockets are easy to access without moving any appliances so no cursing needed on that front! There are plenty of other cursing opportunities however :D