Architect vs Draftsman for new build

Hi,

Having researched more  and further consideration we have decided against supply and erect from a timber frame company and have decided to go down the self design and stick build on site route. (Although we still might ask TF companies to quote ).

We know exactly what we want in terms of size, floor plan appearance and have a pretty good idea on what materials to use. Our design will be a pretty straightforward barn style on a flat plot. Our question is do we go down the Architect route or go with a draftsman?

Is the draftsman route logical (as we already know what we want) offering a financial saving ?

or do people still feel the qualified Architect is the sensible route and money well spent?

Had some architects quotes which have on average come in at between 3-5% of our projected total build cost.

“Qualified” Architect quotes have come in between £8-£15k so far.

I guess a draftsman will charge nearer £1000 for drawing planning and building reg plans

Many thanks.

We had quotes of £15000 upwards

so they all got the heave ho

went with a retired architect who is more like a draftsman really, charges us £25 per hour

thought a couple of grand would sort it, we have spent £5000 so far and think another couple will be in order before we are finished. 

Do you have planning consent already?

if not I think your £1000 idea is very unlikely 

we have designed it all on a programme we have at home and just got the architect to put it into cad format, even so there are many hours of changes and re,design 

I suppose what you might get from a good architect compared to a draughtsman is:

• a house with architectural merit
  • better use of internal/external space
  • better positioning on the plot in terms of views and sunlight
  • should factor is sun angle in terms of solar gain/over heating
  • might speed up the planning process in terms of knowing what will/wont get planning permission

Have you tried negotiating with the architects or reduce the scope?

I spent a fair bit of time looking at architects that I liked and then finding their plans on the council planning websites for inspiration.

Also if I drove past a new house that I liked, note the location and again look up the plans of the council planning site.

For my next house once I have found the plot and I don't know how to make best use of the site I would get an architect that I like (in my case https://brownandbrownarchitects.com/) to design the house and get it through planning. Then if I was going to use a main contractor/TF company I would have them complete the structural engineering design and building warrant stage as they can be cheaper than if the architect and third party SE company do this for you.

JDyer...Go with recommendations. A good architect will bring more to the table, especially in terms of layout and value for money. I guess if you really know what you want (you meaning all the family) then a retired building inspector, for example, will be ideal. If you are still wondering what you'd like the read my book 'self build home...the last thing you need is an architect' No guff or waffle, and few seductive images...just words, Memory jogs for wants, needs and must haves, approaches to design and decision making, reviews of appropriate books (there's not many good design books!) and rejigs of blogs from previous sites, to amplify...200+ pages. lofthousestudio@hotmail.com for info.

Good Luck