Shower screen vs sliding shower door

In my sons ensuite his shower tray is 1200mm x 900 mm.  Was originally going to get a sliding door but they all have lots of bits that can get really grotty.  Just wondered if a 700mm shower screen with a 300mm swivel panel would work or if a) there won't be enough room to get in and out and/or b) if water will splash out.  

What do people think?

Like this? 

I have 2 shower rooms with screens (no panels) and gaps of 500 and 600. Lots of room. I also have a small sliding shower door in another shower room which when open is only 400 but it’s still easy to get in and out. Any smaller and you’d need to match the body size to the gap I imagine. The screen I use is 900 and I’ve never had water splash out. 

A04C5435-A701-4367-AAA8-C62C92E02591.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I have two shower trays 1000 x 800 and have screens with flipper panels. I wanted 800 doors on the end but could find none. We get a little water on the floor but generally they work very well. I don’t like sliders for all the nooks and crannies that get mucky, we like minimalist , glass with no frame.

02FF7874-45A5-4D84-BB44-327F5372F068.jpeg

Edited by joe90

39 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Glass on 2 sides, or tiles 3-sides round with glass on the front only ?

Tiles or shower panels on 3 sides which leaves a gap of 1200 mm for the screen or sliding door

21 minutes ago, newhome said:

Like this? 

I have 2 shower rooms with screens (no panels) and gaps of 500 and 600. Lots of room. I also have a small sliding shower door in another shower room which when open is only 400 but it’s still easy to get in and out. Any smaller and you’d need to match the body size to the gap I imagine. The screen I use is 900 and I’ve never had water splash out. 

A04C5435-A701-4367-AAA8-C62C92E02591.jpeg

Yes that is exactly what I mean so they can move it to get in, then put in line with the main shower screen when actually showering

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have two shower trays 1000 x 800 and have screens with flipper panels. I wanted 800 doors on the end but could find none. We get a little water on the floor but generally they work very well. I don’t like sliders for all the nooks and crannies that get mucky, we like minimalist , glass with no frame.

02FF7874-45A5-4D84-BB44-327F5372F068.jpeg

Looks good, where did you get the shower screens from?

Just now, Jude1234 said:

Yes that is exactly what I mean so they can move it to get in, then put in line with the main shower screen when actually showering

I imagine that would work fine as you would have a 500 gap to step in with the swivel pushed open and then a 600 gap to get round the side before closing it. You could go to 800 for the screen probably if needed as long as your son is average build as that still leaves 400 to get in. 

• Thanks 1

Added to say that I was worried about not leaving enough room to get round the screens and actually there is loads of room and I could easily have ordered larger screens. 

• Thanks 1

I am about to make my own.

A set of these hinges https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Di-Vapor-R-180-Degree-Wall-Mounted-Shower-Door-Glass-Hinge-Chrome-Plated-UK/122969345040?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

And the glass will be coming from the local glass company. They will make it to any size I want, and this custom screen works out no more expensive than off the shelf offerings. (not to mention it's hard getting anyone to post a shower screen to the Highlands)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A set of these hinges https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Di-Vapor-R-180-Degree-Wall-Mounted-Shower-Door-Glass-Hinge-Chrome-Plated-UK/122969345040?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

And the glass will be coming from the local glass company. They will make it to any size I want, and this custom screen works out no more expensive than off the shelf offerings. (not to mention it's hard getting anyone to post a shower screen to the Highlands)

I'll be watching closely so I can copy you! :)

Will you drill the glass  for the hinges or get the glass company to do it?

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You're a star! That's exactly what I'm about to do and you've solved my problem before I got round to looking for the solution! 

The local glass company (Inverness Glass in this case) will cut the glass to size, drill the holes and toughen it.  All I have to do is collect it from them, attach the hinges and hang it.

I will be having a 1900mm tall by 900mm panel.  The challenge for us was it needs to hinge both ways and be frameless. I only found one off the shelf solution and they would not post it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

The local glass company (Inverness Glass in this case) will cut the glass to size, drill the holes and toughen it.  All I have to do is collect it from them, attach the hinges and hang it.

I will be having a 1900mm tall by 900mm panel.  The challenge for us was it needs to hinge both ways and be frameless. I only found one off the shelf solution and they would not post it.

So it will just be the glass and the hinges from ebay? Will the bottom of the glass be flush with the shower tray or will there be a small gap?

The question is do you give the hinges to the glass Co for them to template and drill? 

7 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

So it will just be the glass and the hinges from ebay? Will the bottom of the glass be flush with the shower tray or will there be a small gap?

Youll need a small gap as the glass can NEVER touch the floor. Also you ideally would want the shower tray / wet area to be outside of the glass so the inevitable splashes that would get underneath still find their way, naturally, to the drain. You could fit a small deflector trim at the bottom of the glass which would reduce that significantly, and they're cheaply and readily available so you can change it later if it gets worn.

• Thanks 1

Mine is in a wet room. There will be a small gap between the floor and the bottom of the glass but no form of sealing strip. If water gets under, no problem it's a wet room. the screen will be positioned just inside the sloping part of the room.

The hinges I have chosen come with rubber pads to protect the glass. There are others available that do not.

I am not sure of the logistics yet. I have had a quote from the glass company, I need to talk to them to see if they just want to trust the quoted measurements, or if they would prefer to be given the hinges and they fit them.

11 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

If you ever do try to drill through toughened glass, please video it for my sick pleasure :)

When I was very much younger I had a rectangular piece of toughened glass from a vehicle.  SWMBO (I had only just met her) wanted a smaller bit of glass for a cold frame. I tried scoring and snapping it. Yes you know exactly what happened.

• Haha 1

I would not bother with the flipper panel personally.

Fixed screens, a gap, and the shower positioned accordingly. There are various sources on eBay that will let you get a decent sized tray ie a big one, and robust reinforced screens for £300-400 give or take.

IMO anything swinging or moving in a shower cubicle is the spawn of the devil.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

[...] There are various sources on eBay that will let you get a decent sized tray ie a big one, and robust reinforced screens for £300-400 give or take.

@Nickfromwales had the joy of helping me lift a 2000x1200 8mm glass screen up a double wonder staircase and it was a joy... NOT !

Plan carefully as big screens need big spaces to get them through and they are heavy so you may also want an end stop for them to rest on otherwise you will be putting 40-50kg of glass onto two or three screws at best. 

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@Nickfromwales had the joy of helping me lift a 2000x1200 8mm glass screen up a double wonder staircase and it was a joy... NOT !

Plan carefully as big screens need big spaces to get them through and they are heavy so you may also want an end stop for them to rest on otherwise you will be putting 40-50kg of glass onto two or three screws at best. 

What do you mean by an end stop?

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Absolutely. But you know in advance how much they weigh and how big they are.

We had 4 blokes when we did our student houses.

You want the type with the brace at the top.

Edited by Ferdinand

29 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I would not bother with the flipper panel personally.

Fixed screens, a gap, and the shower positioned accordingly. There are various sources on eBay that will let you get a decent sized tray ie a big one, and robust reinforced screens for £300-400 give or take.

IMO anything swinging or moving in a shower cubicle is the spawn of the devil.

Ferdinand

We are having fixed screens in the larger shower rooms but this room only has a 1200 mm shower tray, hence my question.  I had thought that in order to keep the water in a minimum of 900 mm screen was required, which would only leave a 300 mm gap to get in.  If the screen is hinged then there would be more space to get in.

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

The question is do you give the hinges to the glass Co for them to template and drill? 

Youll need a small gap as the glass can NEVER touch the floor. Also you ideally would want the shower tray / wet area to be outside of the glass so the inevitable splashes that would get underneath still find their way, naturally, to the drain. You could fit a small deflector trim at the bottom of the glass which would reduce that significantly, and they're cheaply and readily available so you can change it later if it gets worn.

Have you done this before, do you have any photos you could share so I can shower the glass company and my builder?

For the fixed screens I see from your previous posts that the glass is sealed to the floor, is that correct?