Shower screen vs sliding shower door

15 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

What do you mean by an end stop?

something for the glass to rest on at the unsupported end otherwise the top screws will just pull out of the wall. 

Most of the screens with the return panel or flipper panel have a post at the end for the moving panel to attach to. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

something for the glass to rest on at the unsupported end otherwise the top screws will just pull out of the wall. 

Most of the screens with the return panel or flipper panel have a post at the end for the moving panel to attach to. 

They do move if you haven't put a dedicated pair of 4x2's in where the screen gets fixed ;). Results are achieved by design, how else do you think bifold doors stay on :/

6 hours ago, Jude1234 said:

Have you done this before, do you have any photos you could share so I can shower the glass company and my builder?

For the fixed screens I see from your previous posts that the glass is sealed to the floor, is that correct?

If you want to shower your builder then perhaps a chat about his personal hygiene should be further up your list ;)

I have never done, or rather been asked to do, a bespoke glass panel that swings....such as @ProDave's planned arrangement. They've always been manufacturer supplied to suit other than wetroom panels. 

If the glass Co weren't up for fitting the hinges to the glass I'd never even start the process, as when they cut and drill the glass it's yours, right or wrong, if you've given them the dimensions / templates  etc. That just cost me £160 for a bespoke mirror where I held the tape measure at 100mm from the beginning ( to get an accurate mm perfect measurement thus discounting the wobbly metal tape measure end bit ) but then forgot to take the 100mm back off in my drawing. Feck. 

Yes, all panels otherwise get clear CT1'd to the floor / tray intersection which normally suffices. Most tray / glass combos direct from the manufacturer will instruct you to do the same, or they will give you a small chromed horse-shoe shaped retainer that gets screwed to the floor or tray and stops the end of the glass from moving. 

In this situation I'd go for a fixed panel about 600-700mm and a hinged door off the end opposite the shower, or an 800mm panel and a 300mm flapper panel.   

IMG_0018.thumb.JPG.f0d5ee05f26d46fac7016b25184dd83a.JPG

These were essentially bifold flappers, and joined with a magnetic strip to form a cubicle. Been in two years with no complaints, and that shower gets used about 6-8 times a day, every day. 

7 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

IMO anything swinging or moving in a shower cubicle is the spawn of the devil

Or to be more precise, anything cheap and unfit for purpose ;)

The glass bifolds in that pic were £500 a side and you could tell. Rock solid, accurate rise and fall hinges that positively 'parked' in the open and closed position etc etc. 

If you want to go cheap, do it elsewhere. The shower and the cubicles take an unrelenting beating all of their life. Don't buy some Chinese crap and then go crying about it ;)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

They do move if you haven't put a dedicated pair of 4x2's in where the screen gets fixed ;). Results are achieved by design, how else do you think bifold doors stay on :/

I think you’re talking the same thing I am - but bifolds tend to use a continuous hinge arrangement not single point hinges like @ProDave is talking about. 8mm glass is heavy and an 800mm screen will but 32kg of pull out and down on the fixing which is essentially a hole through the glass and a couple of No.8 screws. 

You are doing a good job od talking me into using 6mm glass instead of 8. Will that still be strong enough for a 1900mm high by 900 wide "door"?

I might also reduce the height to the more normal 1800mm to save a bit of weight.

I was planning on 3 hinges, one at the bottom, one at the top ant the third perhaps a quarter of the way down so it shares a lot of the outward pull at the top.

Yes I have dedicated 4 by 2's for the hinges to screw through into.

34 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You are doing a good job od talking me into using 6mm glass instead of 8. Will that still be strong enough for a 1900mm high by 900 wide "door"?

I might also reduce the height to the more normal 1800mm to save a bit of weight.

I was planning on 3 hinges, one at the bottom, one at the top ant the third perhaps a quarter of the way down so it shares a lot of the outward pull at the top.

Yes I have dedicated 4 by 2's for the hinges to screw through into.

So the hinges you link are reasonably top end hinges that can take up to 45kg each but they do say that over 1m is the issue.

Dropping to 1800 means you have circa 32kg which is well within the spec and should give no issues however those only allow a one way swing as the glass is designed to have a seal strip against the wall and it close onto the hinges. 

To get a swing on both sides you need something like these - same manufacturer but they need a cut out which your glass supplier should be able to do.  And they are in the sale.... ?

Edited to add I would always go 8mm... 6mm feels flimsy ..!

Edited by PeterW

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

To get a swing on both sides you need something like these - same manufacturer but they need a cut out which your glass supplier should be able to do.  And they are in the sale.... 

The one I linked to originally hinges 180 degrees as well. The only difference the one you linked to wants to return to centre, which is not necessarily what I want. I will also have to look at that more complicated cut out and run it past the glass manufacturer.

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The one I linked to originally hinges 180 degrees as well. 

Hmmm ... not sure they do as the glass goes all the way back behind the hinges according to this pic

4914CB03-95C4-427A-91C4-F11024C8CFCB.jpeg.2b08f7d7f8e96cec97be6b97964da2fe.jpeg

Easier to see on the model but I strongly suspect I might need wings, doors etc similar. Tbh my whole wet room corner gives more than a nod to Nick's photo. Trialling the rainfall head the other day and I reckon I could be getting the towels on the rail under  the window wet and possibly even the loo. Difficult to tell. I'd always half anticipated the need and the plan was to have (short?) fixed "wings" CT1'd to the floor coming off of the mosaic lines. Curved would be really nice but £££ I suspect.

20180105_230949