Meter restriction

Have a look at the pic, does it look normal?

the pipe that comes from the water co main is 32mm it then hits the meter, if you look the short pipe coming out of the meter is about 25mm, this then feeds our incoming water pipe the blue pipe in the pic this is a 50mm pipe as it runs a huge distance to our plot. 

Does this make sense, is it a case of pressure rather than volume, 

any thoughts

russ. 

02ADF2C5-8985-497C-9F44-A00695E53B99.jpeg

Edited by Russell griffiths
Helps if you add the pic. DOH!!

I'd say it's not ideal having a 25mm "restriction" in a 50mm pipe but is it actually giving any problems?

Is the standing charge higher if you have a 2"/50mm meter ?

9 minutes ago, Temp said:

Is the standing charge higher if you have a 2"/50mm meter ?

It is where we are (Southern Water).  They claim it is because the bigger meters don't measure as accurately so you could be using water that does not register if the flow is low.

9 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

It is where we are (Southern Water).  They claim it is because the bigger meters don't measure as accurately so you could be using water that does not register if the flow is low.

Isn't that their problem not yours? 

11 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

The blue pipe I the pic is 50mm being fed from that meter. 

Yes, sorry, just re-read this. So is the short & narrow connecting piece 22mm / 3/4"?

If so I doubt you'll get much better, as the size of the tapping at the main will be no bigger. 

32mm reduced to a 22 then 15 I would expect with a gauge on it. If you use a 22mm reduced tee you can put the gauge on the 15mm section and put a stop tap on the 22mm end and get both static and dynamic pressure. 

Most water company domestic meters are 15mm and if you want anything bigger they charge a fair bit more.