Generator recommendation

vivienz

I've had a quick look at the hire costs for small generators and it seems that it may be better value to buy one.  I'm working on the assumption that it will take about 5 weeks to get the electricity supply sorted to my site, given that it will involve the DNO.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I bought what I think was this generator (but badged as Neilsen not Bulldog), from these people.  He gave me a compelling argument as a self builder himself on why to get this one...based around it being able to withstand whatever some errant tradesman might plug into it.  Anyway I lost £150 on it when I sold 3 months after buying.....that's only a couple days of hire fees.  It was faultless from my point of view.

http://www.pjlallsorts.co.uk/bulldog-bde-6500e~15

• Thanks 1

Another thing to consider is how portable you need it to be?  I have one of the Aldi ones mentioned and it's been a little temperamental at times (saying oil is low and cutting out) but it has always kept going. It's a suitcase type one so weighs about 20KG.

If you want a site genny, Costco have a Champion one for less than £200 which is 240 and 110v

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I think you need to post your spec ... what will it drive.

But if they are appropriate Lidl and Aldi special buys have some good ones.

F

Its only for the site cabin, so things like the kettle and hot water.  Not much else is going to need it between now and August, by which time I would hope to have the mains electric back where it needs to be, although it could be useful in the intermediate stages of the build, I guess.

Thanks for the pointers.

24 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Just a thought, but how nickable are these?  Will I need to wheel it into the site cabin each day, or can they be somehow locked up?

We did have one stolen from the garage in Kent when the hubby was doing something in the garden. Really odd as we were right at the end of a cul de sac and no one ever just walked past. Never had a thing stolen here even with stuff from the build left everywhere. I’ve just jinxed that now of course! So I guess it’s luck. You can chain them up but it won’t stop someone determined. 

43 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Its only for the site cabin, so things like the kettle and hot water.  Not much else is going to need it between now and August, by which time I would hope to have the mains electric back where it needs to be, although it could be useful in the intermediate stages of the build, I guess.

Thanks for the pointers.

Camping gas stove???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

Camping gas stove???

I did wonder about that, to be honest.  It seems the simplest solution and certainly cheaper.  I think I'll get a gas stove over the weekend and have a word with the DNO on Monday and see how long it will be before the electricity comes on.

We were really lucky. The neighbours offered to provide us with an extension lead to our caravan initially before the electricity was connected (they offered, we didn't ask), and we bought them a case of wine. The start of a great relationship with our neighbours. The hubby and my hubby used to sit outside and drink beer together in the evenings lol. 

I wouldn't bother if it was just for hot drinks. Camping stove will be cheaper as suggested above or take flasks of coffee. 

Edited by newhome

Been on site for over a year and only bother with heating food if a mate has come and helped me. Otherwise a flask of boiling water for my tea and just bring lunch. Or is it for trades?

2 hours ago, vivienz said:

so things like the kettle and hot water

Most kettles are about 2.8 kW, so a fair size generator.

If you want a good one, go Honda.  They can be linked together (I think Yamaha have a similar model).

Otherwise go cheap and get a lower powered kettle.

Camping stoves are pretty good and cheap.

24 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Been on site for over a year and only bother with heating food if a mate has come and helped me. Otherwise a flask of boiling water for my tea and just bring lunch. Or is it for trades?

It's for trades.  The groundworker has already asked if the cabin will be connected, but I think it's more about making a brew.  If that's the case, it's definitely a camping stove!

1 hour ago, vivienz said:

I did wonder about that, to be honest.  It seems the simplest solution and certainly cheaper.  I think I'll get a gas stove over the weekend and have a word with the DNO on Monday and see how long it will be before the electricity comes on.

I wouldn’t worry about the trades

Most will eat a sandwich on the go

11 hours ago, vivienz said:

The groundworker has already asked

Keith never once took a tea off me...they'll sit in their truck rather than the site hut and drink from thermos....at this time of year anyway the way to their hearts is ice lollies.

I'd agree that you might need the genny less than you imagine, but get caught out on just 2 days for 20 mins use and the hire fess plus time will balance the equation.  Buy DECENT 2nd hand and you'll lose next to nothing.

• Like 1