Basic thicky question re. connecting to site hut.

vivienz

When prepping for demolition of the old bungalow, the electricity supply point was moved from the old structure onto a box on the pole from which the cable ran.  My site cabin arrives Monday and I need to get the electricity supply from the box to the cabin - is it as simple as calling a sparky out for a couple of hours to run a connection into the hut?  I will also ring the electricity supplier to let them know that I want the supply turned on again as it was on a pre-payment meter before the service alteration.

The spark can't move the head ( the big grey / black fuse block at the end of the PME cable ) and nor can they fit the meter. 

The DNO needs to relocate the head, and then your supplier needs to come and fit a meter. Then you'll be in a position to ring the spark. 

Where is the pre-pay meter ? Already gone ?

Edited by Nickfromwales

Assuming the supply head and meter are going to stay for the time being in the box on the pole, then you just need an electrician to fit a mini consumer unit and run a feed to the hut.  Then get the supply re energised and ditch that expensive pre payment meter.

The sparky should know about building site earthing, i.e do not use a PME earth.

The supply hasn't been disconnected, Nick, as I had a service alteration rather than a disconnection knowing that I would need a supply for the build. I will get hold of a sparky early next week; I may have come off hold and got to speak to someone at the electricity supplier by then - 25 minutes and counting so far.

Well, it seems that SSE are about to get their knickers in a twist because despite my having told them everything that was happening over a year ago, no one ever came to collect their meter which is now at the bottom of a pile of builders rubble and they don't know what to do.

Looks like I may hire a generator - could be easier!

• Like 1

So who disconnected the meter? If it was SSE why did they not take it then?

It's a bit late now, but for the benefit of others, I would have kept it live, and switched to a zero standing charge tariff. I had that on my site and paid about £5 in nearly 2 years for the tiny amount of usage for a few tools.

To be honest, Dave, it's all a bit of blur now as it was over a year ago that I had the so-called service alteration carried out, on the understanding that the connection was live.  I do know that I spoke to both the supplier (SSE) and the DNO, but it was the DNO who removed the cable from the metre, SSE knew about it and that the house was to be demolished, but the only reply I seem to get from SSE this afternoon was "I don't know, but it's not us".  They said that there was an appointment booked last year to remove the meter, but it didn't happen for whatever reason. 

Anyhow, no big deal, I will get a genny for the time being and sort out the supply without any immediate time pressure so it should be sorted by the time some bigger stuff starts happening.

19 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

are you going to allow them to fit a smart meter?

Absolutely not if I can help it!  There is no broadband around there, so I'm not sure how they would connect up unless it's got a nice fat 4G signal, which I doubt, as I have to stand in the middle of the field to get a signal on my mobile. 

Why do you ask?

I cant speak for the new build yet but our supplier at home hassled me no end with letters, emails and then a phone call to my home line. I told them 'no' and then gave them a roasting for what I considered to be a marketing call and not to ring me again.  Haven't heard from them since and still have power supply.

• Like 1

I’ve had eOn remove my mums number from their system as I took the call from them and this snotty cow tried to tell me she “had to have one as it was the law...”

I asked her which statutory instrument contained the enforcement and she couldn’t answer ... asked to speak to her line manager who said that “they could force meter changes on customers....” and I asked under what terms of their contract as the only place I could find it was if the meter was in arrears .... no answer ...

Its highly unlikely we will ever get to proper demand led pricing anyway, so smart meters are just a toy for the energy suppliers to know how much more they can squeeze from you ... 

I don’t want a smart meter either, although the chances of Scottish Power being able to fit them to a 2 meter affair when they don’t even understand the tariff I’m on is slim I imagine. They are not available to me as yet. I wonder whether they will eventually have separate tariffs for smart / non smart to try to force the issue. A bit like they do for online vs paper billing just now.