Temporary Outside Tap

vfrdave

I have an outside tap temporarily on site, it has recently started blowing off the end of the of the mdpe pipe. It is more or less identical to the one in the pics.  Anyone got any wonderful ideas to keep it on the end of the pipe and stop my water main gushing water endlessly until found on site.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

On 30/05/2018 at 16:07, vfrdave said:

It is currently a 32/25/32 (think that is the right notation).  I then have a 32mm plasson down stream

Is that a tee your referring to? 25mm 'centre' eg 32mm through bore and a 25mm branch coming off at 90o would be called by the two ends first, then the centre, so 32x32x25 :)  

If your saying the supply pipe reduces in size then increases again, that needs sorting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Is that a tee your referring to? 25mm 'centre' eg 32mm through bore and a 25mm branch coming off at 90o would be called by the two ends first, then the centre, so 32x32x25 :)  

A tee it is so 32x32x25

I just use an all plastic mdpe tap elbow into which a standard brass tap screws https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-mdpe-plastic-wall-plate-elbow-20mm-x/62324

The split ring on the left of your exploded assembly picture is supposed to have serations on the inside to grip the pipe. If the pipe is blowing off it is either not tight enough, or your serations are worn hence it is not gripping the pipe.

Insert is fitted. The pipe was worn around the top from the serations so I cut the pipe yesterday and refitted.  It seemed a good bit tighter than before but who knows there could be 6 bar pressure of water blasting everywhere.

• 2 months later...

(Minor thread drift). I know where my water meter is and so I can make a pretty good guess as to where the supply enters the plot around 50m from the meter. I want to set up a building supply prior to demolition so I dig down and find the supply pipe...

And then what? It's probably a sixty-ish year old pipe. Are there special techniques, tips and tricks to cut it and fit a standpipe and how do I connect a standpipe to the supply pipe? What bits do I need (apart from a mini digger).

1 hour ago, Russdl said:

(Minor thread drift). I know where my water meter is and so I can make a pretty good guess as to where the supply enters the plot around 50m from the meter. I want to set up a building supply prior to demolition so I dig down and find the supply pipe...

And then what? It's probably a sixty-ish year old pipe. Are there special techniques, tips and tricks to cut it and fit a standpipe and how do I connect a standpipe to the supply pipe? What bits do I need (apart from a mini digger).

Luck! If the pipe is iron it could be rusty as & held together by a wing and a prayer! 

My trials and tribulations on a 60 year old main:

Assuming the original pipe is in good order then you can get iron to MDPE fittings so you can tee off for a site supply. 

Turn off the water. Dig down & expose.

Determine the existing pipe size with a Vernier and get couplers to suit. 

Cut with a mini grinder and de-burr. Swear and curse as you struggle to bend the short length of New MDPE with the tee on in there. The longer the bit cut out the easier it will be!

Plasson fittings btw are better than the ones from Screwfix etc imo. They tend to cope with different pipe diameters too. One side might be 25mm for the MDPE and the other varying e.g. 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plasson-25mm-x-20mm-27mm-other-pipe-universal-coupling-Plass4-MDPE-UTC/391116810730?

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

Well, a friend bought his mini digger round and we've found the water main...

2077485250_ScreenShot2018-08-20at19_27_00.thumb.png.68ac0f3629430e5f0155ac6aaa9cbfae.png

It's not iron or lead, it's black poly (is that the correct technical name?) We also unearthed a steel cable buried around the same depth, can anyone tell me what that is for? Should I hide it quick?

The water main itself is externally just shy of 3/4" and internally it's pretty much bang on 1/2". So, have I got a 3/4" or 1/2" black poly main? I'm assuming it will be imperial as I suspect it's been there for decades (in new money, externally it's 17.5mm).

I think it's 20mm old school mdpe. 

Plassoon fitting will go straight on and fix onto that with zero issue. 

If you want to tee in you'll have to expose about a metre so you can form an S in the pipe to bring the tee in, basically bending the shit out of it until you get success. 

If it's for a temp supply just cut 150mm out and whack an elbow on. Once vertical and above ground whack another bend on and then a 'plastic' stopcock. Alterations or damage can be easily managed by anyone on site then plus you can isolate overnight ( if on a meter and don't want any possible expensive leaks ).   

Thanks Nick.

It's definitely sub 20mm external diameter, no more than 17.5mm, should there really be a 2.5mm tolerance?

259001021_ScreenShot2018-08-20at20_11_31.png.7f4f8e858d1e4a5f01bdadb771083010.png

The plan is to have a standpipe off the main at that location as a temporary supply and then, when the build is complete, run the main from that point to the new house. I was thinking of a 90° elbow up to the standpipe and at a later date, replace the 90° elbow with and in line join for the new supply. Are there massive flaws in that plan?

The ruler doesn't lie. :) 

I came across this stuff a couple of times. Once, I found a galv coupler had just been forcibly turned onto the end of it and it had been there, without issue, for a bloody long time. 

I turn up and fit a new stopcock, during a full-on kitchen refurb, and the bastard starts leaking. About 2" of it left showing above the slab. After trying everything else with no success I just cleaned up and refitted the coupler and it held. No rhyme or reason but I was happy enough at that stage not to ask. 

2 hours ago, Russdl said:

also unearthed a steel cable buried around the same depth, can anyone tell me what that is for? Should I hide it quick?

We found similar.  We were told it was prob for earthing - no idea what needed earthing where we found ours.

It turns out we have a 3/8" Alkathene water main. Is 3/8" big enough to produce the goods when it comes to connecting to the new house?

To set up a temporary standpipe I've got a Plasson 90° elbow (with a blue adapter) the internal diameter of the blue adapter is about 7mm.

Does anyone know of alternative connectors that don't restrict the 3/8" Alkathene, I'm guessing that 3/8" is too small and 7mm is way too small?

1319872886_ScreenShot2018-08-21at17_39_18.thumb.png.7ce64ec5d321519c281d8e05d6a0381a.png