Is CIL payable on a self-build conversion?

Andy Le Vien

+1 to a new planning application restarting the appeal clock.

If you extend under PD  think it would be worth getting a Certificate of Lawful development that confirms PP is not required.... Specifically to avoid any claim on their part that you have implemented the PP that is liable for £11k CIL.

Stop press.... Just found this...

https://www.boyesturner.com/article/boyes-turners-cil-victory-saves-self-builder-client-nearly-80000

Boyes Turner’s development & house building team have successfully challenged a decision by a local Authority to charge CIL on a barn conversion which had been undertaken as a self-build project by their clients.

You would need to contact them to get details of the case.

I note it was "settled" just before it went to court but even so it might be useful.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And the answer is.......NO!!!!

Exemption agreement came through this morning.  Many many thanks to everyone who has helped.  I'm certain I would have been refused without the research and information given so freely here.  Now to actually build the thing!

• Like 4

Fabulous. Just a pity the local authority was so intransigent when the process was clearly wrong. Now you have to stay on here for the more challenging bit that is the build! :)

1 hour ago, Andy Le Vien said:

And the answer is.......NO!!!!

Exemption agreement came through this morning.  Many many thanks to everyone who has helped.  I'm certain I would have been refused without the research and information given so freely here.  Now to actually build the thing!

Cracking News..!! 

Now we don’t get many conversions so..... how about lots of photos or a blog..??

• 6 months later...

We are self-building a conversion and did not have to pay the CIL. We had to accept liability and then we claim exemption at the end. Single dwelling self-builders don't pay. That is Cumbria CC

I see I am well behind the curve and this is old. Ah well. xD

Edited by Snowbeetle