Service Alterations - pre Demolition.

Russdl

The bungalow we plan to demolish has water (and main drainage), gas, electric and BT services which we'll have to have moved.

First question, do we need BT? I'd prefer not, I'm not really bothered about having a landline but the missus thinks we should. I'm pretty sure there is Virgin fibre running close to our plot so broadband should be sorted but can you get a landline with that? If not, what are the non 'BT phone line' alternatives to a landline?

17 minutes ago, dogman said:

vonage over fibre

Never heard of that - I'll get Googling. Thanks @dogman

Vonage looks like a fine solution and I suspect there are many others so I see no need for a BT connection.

Edited by Russdl
Returned after Googling...

By way of ways forward what we did was build a simple block structure at the front of the plot, by the road, and we got all the services diverted to there and then we have full control of ducting to the main house and the garden room. We have all four connections there in their own boxes. 

• Like 1

@MikeSharp01 

10 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

We have all four connections there in their own boxes.

Could you share a photo of that Mike, I'd like to do something similar? 

If I did a similar thing and had all 4 services there, would I end up paying a standing charge with the services in the block house or only when the services left the block house and headed for the house?

The reason I ask is that I've already pretty much decided against BT but as it's already on site it would a shame to cut my nose off to spite my face. Similarly we want the new house to be purely electric despite the fact that gas is on site (I know this is not considered wise by many) so if the gas supply stopped at the block house would there be standing charges for that?

Edited by Russdl

I guess what you could do is get the live services transferred to your services building, and once commissioned subsequently cancel the service. I don't think any provider actually comes and removes hardware (other than actual metering equipment) on cancellation of service. That would leave all the networks resources in place for potential future needs. 

1 hour ago, Dee J said:

live services transferred to your services building, and once commissioned subsequently cancel the service.

Good thinking. Does anyone know if that approach would work? Can't see why not.

10 hours ago, Russdl said:

Could you share a photo of that Mike, I'd like to do something similar

Will share a photo when I get back home tonight. You will have to pay a standing charge unless you disconnect the gas. Which you could do once it is moved as all they do I believe is seal it so no gas is available and then you won't pay the standing charge but if anyone wants it back they will have to pay a connection fee. Also if your gas only comes to the block house anybody wanting the gas to the house will have to run the gas pipe into the house which might not be simple.

11 hours ago, Russdl said:

Thanks Mike

Here are a couple of snaps of our block house before we demolished the old house. The front has gas an electric meters and the back has electric distribution (to the house / garden room / garden / lighting and car charger point) and the comm cabinet with the phone line in with wired router and alarm system.

20160915_172059.jpg

20160831_180607.jpg

• Like 1