How do I chop this up?

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Tbh you could do that with a new blade in a hacksaw and gloves  (for when you slip). 

27 cuts to get that small enough to fit into the car? Blimey I’ll be there a long time! Bolt cutters sound more appealing if I don’t get any takers from the freecycle route. There might even be some in the garage, will need to have a look. 

Free to collector would be first choice.  Don't use an angle grinder on the gravel as it may well flick up a stone.  In fact, don't use an angle grinder at all if you do not think you are competent.  If you do, use a thin blade.  Goggles and gloves are a must.

• Thanks 1

If you get a neighbor, or other dog walker, to help you might be able to, sort of, roll it up and that will make it easier to handle. Long handle bolt cutters are the best thing, and safest if you cannot get it taken away via the ad.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jack said:

My OH jokingly calls me "Captain Sensible". In my opinion, the fact that she thinks I'm "too concerned about safety" is a very good reason to to actively discourage her use of anything sharp, and particularly anything connected to a powerful motor!

I’m tempted just to increase our joint life cover and let my wife get on with it.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, daiking said:

I’m tempted just to increase our joint life cover and let my wife get on with it.

Make sure it covers personal accident / loss of limbs then ;)

6 hours ago, newhome said:

[...] but the OH always did it and actively discouraged me from using any power tools. 

Heart in mouth, I always try to get Debbie to use power tools,  with me hovering in the background.  Sometimes, there's flat refusal, others incomprehension (cam-ing out in an impact driver) . But she tries. I kind of wish she didn't want to.....

I must admit I always try and involve SWMBO. I went out earlier to Screwfix and was also tasked with getting bread, milk etc. 

I returned home to a thunderstorm with sheet lightning. I rushed in with the shopping and asked SWMBO to go out to the car and bring the copper pipe in.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

(cam-ing out in an impact driver) . But she tries. I kind of wish she didn't want to.....

Watching my wife try to use a cordless drill to drive in screws is one of the most frustrating things I've ever experienced. When you've been doing it for decades you don't even have to think about squaring it up, how hard to push at what point to avoid cam-out, etc, but it takes time to learn those things.

I was there the first time my wife tried and I had to leave the room in the end. It was that or murder (touch and go whose murder, to be fair).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, jack said:

Watching my wife try to use a cordless drill to drive in screws is one of the most frustrating things I've ever experienced. When you've been doing it for decades you don't even have to think about squaring it up, how hard to push at what point to avoid cam-out, etc, but it takes time to learn those things.

I was there the first time my wife tried and I had to leave the room in the end. It was that or murder (touch and go whose murder, to be fair).

Frankly a lot of blokes also don’t know how to use a cordless screwdriver and the caming  out is used like a slipping clutch ??????.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

caming  out is used like a slipping clutch

What the heck is that!! Caming out I mean. :S

15 minutes ago, jack said:

My money is on the wife :D. To be fair that's how it would have been in our house which is another reason that he didn't want me to touch anything. He would have 'suggested' something, I would have taken it as a criticism and then world war 3 would have ensued. For a quiet life we both agreed to do our own things. I did all of the organisational stuff, and he the more practical stuff. Now the practical stuff is down to me too so I have to get on with it if I can. To be honest one of the main difficulties I find is lifting or moving heavy things. Either he would do it or sometimes it was a 2 person job. Now it's just me I have all sorts of things on wheels to try to shift things but sometimes it's impossible. 

I've just about managed to suss out using a drill to screw things in. Badly I'm sure but I can just about do it. I have no idea what drill bits to use for anything so it's all trial and error. Can't tell a masonry drill bit from a wood drill bit. I've fecked a good few up already getting it wrong lol. 

Watching a novice with a cordless is nothing compared to a novice with a hammer and some nails.

This thread pains me at discussing ways to spend money and time disposing of something that others would find useful. For heavens same just keep posting it on freecycle until someone comes and gets it.

• Like 1

@newhome, according to SWMBO there are only two types of screwdriver bits: "Flatty" ones used for opening paint tins and scraping stuff off. Then you get "pointy" ones. These you hit with a hammer to make holes in things like flower pot bases or walls to fit Rawlpugs!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, newhome said:

What the heck is that!! Caming out I mean. :S

Cam out - is when the driver slips in the screw - As in    'Ahm tryin to screw it in but it keeps camming out'

It's also what happens every time I am trying to use the electric screw driver unless it is directly in front of me and I can put my weight behind it.

Apparently it doesn't happen if you use a 'Torx headed screw'  whetever the f that might be. LOL

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

@newhome, according to SWMBO there are only two types of screwdriver bits: "Flatty" ones used for opening paint tins and scraping stuff off. Then you get "pointy" ones. These you hit with a hammer to make holes in things like flower pot bases or walls to fit Rawlpugs!

Ha ha - I'm with your Mrs tbh!  I wrecked one of the decent screwdrivers the other day taking the top off a paint tin :D.

The last time I needed to make holes in the bottom of planters I wasn't sure how to use a drill (didn't think about hammering in a screwdriver!) so I burnt holes in the bottom with a butane gas lighter. I could hear the OH calling from the grave saying WTF are you doing!! :D It worked though! 

7 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Apparently it doesn't happen if you use a 'Torx headed screw'  whetever the f that might be. LOL

Oooh I know what those are cos when the meters were boxed in and I needed to remove the boxing I'd tried every size of phillips screwdriver under the sun to try to get the screws out with no joy. Sent a photo of the screw to my brother in the end (before I knew this was such a friendly group ) to find out what I needed and he informed me that they were torx screws and no phillips screwdriver in the world would remove them. Bought the right torx screwdriver AND used the drill for the first time and they came out sweet as a nut. Epic! :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, newhome said:

"I wasn't sure how to use a" 

If wanting to moved any piece of venered chipboard furniture which you didn't bother to glue in the first place, always try and move it full up with clothes etc. We have wardrobes like the leaning tower of Pisa thanks to her doing this for the last 30 years.

One advantage of the menopause seems they don't want to move rooms around so much. I came home one day to find the lounge and dining room had swapped places and I needed to fit a new tv point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

One advantage of the menopause seems they don't want to move rooms around so much. I came home one day to find the lounge and dining room had swapped places and I needed to fit a new tv point.

That would make a pleasant surprise, I normally come home to find something broken.

The joke is on her his time though as I fixed the ironing board with previously unseen levels of impetus so she’s all ready to go again tomorrow.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

For heavens same just keep posting it on freecycle until someone comes and gets it.

Well I'm not keeping it here forever. There is more than enough junk here as it is. What I don't get though is years ago when you went to the tip there used to be people who would swarm round your car looking to see if you had anything useful they might want. Things were taken and less went into landfill. Nowadays there are people at the tip to actively prevent people from taking anything useful so that it all goes to landfill pretty much. Go figure!