Price for laying outdoor porcelain tiles

I am ready to lay the patios. I have circa 100m of tiles to go down. We have put down reinforced concrete slabs with falls and slot drains all ready for tiling. Nothing to do but prime, lay and grout,  no levelling needed.

I asked  tiler who did my bathrooms and some internal floors for a quote and he has come back at over £45 a sq m labour only........this is a lot more that his price for laying the indoor porcelain tiles which was a much bigger and more complicated job.  They are the same tiles as indoor just different slip rating. His labour quote per metre is more than the cost of the porcelanosa tiles!

Is he taking the p*** ? Is another quote in order?

£45 PM is a lot unless the concrete isn't flat. If it's filling, levelling and laying then it would command a higher price as it's pretty much twice the work. A lot more mixing and laying of product, so what's been quoted for exactly ? 

Who has said it's nice and flat eg 'just lay straight on it' ? I've met a few of those, some where I've just walked away as the money wasn't there to do what was necessary. 

It sounds like he doesn't want the job. It would be more expensive as he will lose days when it rains and there is more chance of comeback if the grout fails and water gets under and freezes in the winter, but even so, get another quote.

Thanks guys. We laid the concrete a month or so ago, its all been checked with a level there are no issues. He checked it too. There will. be cuts due to corner but I wouldnt have thought it was any more difficult than tiling a shower floor with cuts. He did that quickly and well.

He put the tiles down outside the front door last week, same concrete slab, it was 24 tiles only 2 cuts. He laid with just adhesive (rapid set) and grouted straight away. He was gone by lunchtime. Its perfect, slab underneath was perfect and the rest are the same.

Says he is not available until July, but he did tell me a few months ago he was busy May/June as he is having an extension at home and putting time in on that.

His price for the floor tiling internally was £32 psqm and that included levelling.

Seems like I do need another quote.

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

I have sent him an email asking why so high.... see what happens

I would also remind him that he’s had a good earner out of the rest of the job and been paid on time 

Even if he only manages 15 mtrs per day it’s not a bad earner

Problem is that everyone is still busy 

• Thanks 1