White walls in garden

So looking to do something like in the pic below but not sure which would be my best option.

A: build in in block and get it plastered up. East enough to do but long term how will the nice crisp edges look in a few years.

B: shutter it with some mesh in it. Bit more time consuming to get perfect but should be much harder to chip at the corners.

? Is there any other way to do this type of thing that I don't know about.

Screenshot_2018-05-26-14-07-56-323_com.facebook.katana.png

15 minutes ago, Trw144 said:

I ve always wondered how wel a white plaster/render wall would last in the UK weather. The biggest issue is water on top without some sort of coping 

That's my biggest concern. It won't look right with copings on either.

Can you render the copings, or use distinctive materials such as coloured half moon engineering or glazed bricks, or something that looks sharper such as slate slabs or porcelain tiles?

Edited by Ferdinand

Up here rendered garden wall don't do well before frost gets in and the render bursts and falls off.  House walls never seem to suffer like this I assume because they never get so cold, and have a proper DPC to stop it getting damp behind the render (which I am sure many garden walls do not)

I would build it in blocks, point it well, and paint it.

Ive just had a garden wall done in krend to match the hugely expensive alumasc render on the house.

The garden wall was wobbly block and a real eysore.  The block had hairline cracks here and there so he put mesh in those areas. He also coverered te wall in sbr before starting.

There are copings on the top of this wall as its 3m high. I am going to get the same man to do me raised planters a bit like your photo @Declan52 I will top with those with a ‘coping’ cut from patio tiles so it matches I dont think leaving to top just rendered will be very durable.

36224052-B9DB-4FD8-B823-3334B1D43623.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

Ive just had a garden wall done in krend to match the hugely expensive alumasc render on the house.

The garden wall was wobbly block and a real eysore.  The block had hairline cracks here and there so he put mesh in those areas. He also coverered te wall in sbr before starting.

There are copings on the top of this wall as its 3m high. I am going to get the same man to do me raised planters a bit like your photo @Declan52 I will top with those with a ‘coping’ cut from patio tiles so it matches I dont think leaving to top just rendered will be very durable.

Bloody hell Lizzie, that’s nice -  no wonder your over budget!

Meant to add - I rendered the walls at my last place, it was a retaining wall and I tanked it but I did notice it had stained in places when I went by the other week.

Edited by Trw144

23 minutes ago, Trw144 said:

Meant to add - I rendered the walls at my last place, it was a retaining wall and I tanked it but I did notice it had stained in places when I went by the other week.

He used SBR as a base before he put anything on and I am hoping that will minimise staining. I'm told the Krend is less prone to stains but who knows! He was a good man he is a stonemason by trade used to working on restorations of historic churches and listed buildings.  Obviously he does some modern render jobs too -  he seemed to use a real craftsman's ethos on the job. He showed me that the drips under the concrete copings were non existent in places (moulding fault) he took his grinder and went all along the 12m and regularised the drip channel under the coping.  I thought that was really good a lot of renderers would have just slapped it on and not looked at something that wasn't part of their job....or wanted to charge me extra.

It's 12m long x 3m high and cost £1600 including materials to render it which i didn't think was a bad price. It wasn't the cheapest quote but I liked him best.  It was supposed to be a brick faced wall originally but for some reason the rubbish people who did the retaining wall did a zig zag join brick to  block just after the meters cupboards. It is at our entrance and it looked atrocious we had no choice but to deal with it. 

We painted the huge 25m long x 3m high retaining wall behind the house in dark grey to try and hide the awful block work and now I find there is grey masonry paint splashed on the white house wall (expensive Alumasc render system ). They obviously didn't bother to cover it up properly and I couldn't have eyes in the back of my head or be on site every minute of every day to watch them. I am very upset but what can I do now culprits are long gone.

19 hours ago, Declan52 said:

So looking to do something like in the pic below but not sure which would be my best option.

A: build in in block and get it plastered up. East enough to do but long term how will the nice crisp edges look in a few years.

B: shutter it with some mesh in it. Bit more time consuming to get perfect but should be much harder to chip at the corners.

? Is there any other way to do this type of thing that I don't know about.

Screenshot_2018-05-26-14-07-56-323_com.facebook.katana.png

I get asked for quite a lot of this kind of render now

The golden rule was never to render to the floor as it would act like a sponge 

I’ve got over this by base coating and wrapping the whole wall with a fibre mesh and top coat with K rend The wet on the top doesn’t seem to bother the render 

You can continually jet wash the render without it doing any harm

If it was to stain in a few years It’s not a big job to roller a K rend colour enhancer on 

Its a nice look and can see why you like it

19 hours ago, lizzie said:

Did they spray that on?

If so what sort of kit does it need?

Have found another option using timber.

In the pics below they have used decking boards and while it looks decent it's not really what I am looking. So I could replace the decking boards with a cladding type board that some of you have used. 

In terms of hardwood what would be the best option here. I like the look of iroko. Any other types of hardwood that would be suitable.

Screenshot_2018-05-28-13-26-27-420_com.miui.gallery.png

Screenshot_2018-05-28-13-26-24-525_com.miui.gallery.png

Look at the woods used by coastal engineers.

Though something like the plasticised wood cladding may be suitable.

A huge amount depends on the deals you can make, as we all know.

Hmm. Is there a sheet material that would be suitable?

Edited by Ferdinand

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

@Declan52, I'm trying to decide on rendered garden walls & raised planters very similar to the image in your original post above.

What did you finally decide on, render or timber? If it was render, what did you go with and how has it survived it's first winter? (also I'd love to see a picture of the finished product if you have one)

Thanks

Went with the decking type wall.  Don't think the  white wall look would last with my kids jumping over it and the frost.   

Its been in over 6 months and bar a few of the mitre corners opening up with the timber swelling and contracting it has been no need for any maintenance.  

I done it during the hot summer so the wood was always going to move about so come this summer if I think it needs it I might redo a corner if I could be arsed!!! 

I have it divided up so some sections are flowers and others are herbs and have another bit where there are lettuce,  cabbage,  tomatoes,  chili's and garlic are planted. 

IMG_20180712_194913.jpg

IMG_20180712_194817.jpg

IMG_20180708_183236.jpg

IMG_20180708_175112.jpg

IMG_20180712_194848.jpg

IMG_20180818_205709.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnW said:

Thanks for the photos, looks great @Declan52...when are you free to come down to do mine ?

P.S. Who golfs with a hurley stick?

We are multi talented here so can swing either stick. 

My wife would kill me if I do any more homers,  my wrist and both elbows are done. 

• Haha 1