Planning approved, advice on Regs please..

Simon

Hello All,

You guys are an absolute fountain of knowledge, so I was hoping a might tap you up for a little advice?

We have just had planning approved (Hoorah) for a Garage with a Workshop on the side to be built on land to the side of our house, though not in any way attached. This is just a single skin timber structure, with pantile roof, no living accommodation. However, due to it's size, Building Regs will need to sign it off.

We are already considering having an SE draw up a plan for a raft (which is looking like costing around £1,000+Vat), to save on excavation, and concrete  among other things.

My question is, what else are building Regs going to want to see?

They seem to be a little 'uncommunicative' with us, maybe as we are looking to project manage ourselves, and not just put the whole thing in the hands of a builder...anyhow, I've been told they will want specs, drawings and calculations for the both the walls, and roof structure/trusses etc, as well as the raft, which will mean extending the services of a professional to draw these up to...is this the case, and so are all my plans of building it with friends from a plan dowloaded online going out the window?

I apologise for my apparent naivety, but an already tight budget has already been stretched to the limit by changes we had to make to the design of the building, to get it past the planning office...

Anyhow, big thanks for your time guys.

Simon

Simon, I paid an SE to calculate a raft for our block built garage, cost me £400 and the raft would have held up a three story block of flats it was so much over engineered, and cost a fortune to lay. I got the building inspector out to ask his advise and he simply told me how deep and what width for foundations. Not sure where but there is a gov website with all the dimensions reqd for block walls, not sure it covers timber, your building inspector is your best bet ( unless I am lucky with mine!).

P.S. don’t call it a workshop, call it a garage, then you can claim all the VAT back as a new build, workshops don’t count!

Edited by joe90

Thanks Guys,

At the moment, we are shying away from conventional trench fill, as the garage is 10.5x6.5m, with the building on the side being 9.5x4.5m. 1 metre depth trench round all that lot, plus a slab for the floors, and it's one  hell of a lot of spoil to get rid of, and concrete to fill it....

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Hello All,

You guys are an absolute fountain of knowledge, so I was hoping a might tap you up for a little advice?

We have just had planning approved (Hoorah) for a Garage with a Workshop on the side to be built on land to the side of our house, though not in any way attached. This is just a single skin timber structure, with pantile roof, no living accommodation. However, due to it's size, Building Regs will need to sign it off.

We are already considering having an SE draw up a plan for a raft (which is looking like costing around £1,000+Vat), to save on excavation, and concrete  among other things.

My question is, what else are building Regs going to want to see?

They seem to be a little 'uncommunicative' with us, maybe as we are looking to project manage ourselves, and not just put the whole thing in the hands of a builder...anyhow, I've been told they will want specs, drawings and calculations for the both the walls, and roof structure/trusses etc, as well as the raft, which will mean extending the services of a professional to draw these up to...is this the case, and so are all my plans of building it with friends from a plan dowloaded online going out the window?

I apologise for my apparent naivety, but an already tight budget has already been stretched to the limit by changes we had to make to the design of the building, to get it past the planning office...

Anyhow, big thanks for your time guys.

Simon

I paid 300 for foundation design for a five bed house plus two double garages

Try another SE 

My recent experience is that screw piles are to be avoided.  Fantastic idea in principle, but mind boggling in their expense.  I'm going with CFA mini piles that will cost IRO £15k; the equivalent support in screw piles was in excess of £42k.  None of this is including VAT.

The piling company I use will get their own SE calculations done and included as part of the price; I doubt they will travel as far as Suffolk, but I'm sure their equivalent exists over that way.

Edited by vivienz

What is the ground like?  Strip footings may well be the cheapest option.  Also you may find beam and block floor fairly cheap / DIY with a 75mm concrete topping  You will need a simple design for the building to stabilise the longer wall runs and hold the roof down.  Who did the planning app plans?  None of this is difficult and the SE should be £300 max.  Shop around for Building Control also, as there is nothing to see.

13 hours ago, Simon said:

.... the garage is 10.5x6.5m, with the building on the side being 9.5x4.5m.

That's not a garage, that's an aircraft hanger!

• Haha 1

The ground round here is a hard clay based substrate...

Also, although I am grateful for any pointers, could we please not forget my original question, which also referred to likely structural drawigs required by BC...

Big thanks guys!