Hi, I trying to find out if  mdpe pipe inserts are universal

rob dayglo

Hi, I trying to find out if  mdpe pipe inserts are universal . Will any mdpe insert work with any manufacturers fitting, for example  will a John Guest insert work with flowplast or the other way round.

Are they also compatible with brass compression fittings?

Thanks in advance

Not entirely sure, but usually pipes are sized by their outside diameter (certainly for anything that uses compression fittings). Wall thickness can vary so anything that fits inside the pipe, like an insert, might not work.

Mdpe pipes work with brass compression fittings.  I used the brass 25mm in 22mm out stopcocks.  Some on here don't like them, but I equally dislike the copper adaptors if you instead use an mdpe in / out stopcock.

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Mdpe pipes work with brass compression fittings.  I used the brass 25mm in 22mm out stopcocks.  Some on here don't like them, but I equally dislike the copper adaptors if you instead use an mdpe in / out stopcock.

It does work with brass, but you need the copper or stainless insert to keep the pipe from collapsing. 

Plasson and others make such good universal / push-fit fittings I don't think there's any need any more to risk a brass on MDPE connection ever again. 

I don't like them btw. 

As for inserts, as long as the insert pushes in far enough and it's a very snug fit, but not tight enough that it needs to be forced or hit in, then they're much of a muchness IMO. 

25mm MDPE to brass stopcock. 

SAM_4102

Tbh first off it weeped but after advice on here I redid with a smear of Jet Blue Plus and sorted! This joint is at about 8bar as well.

I've two different insert makes and both fit the S'fix MDPE.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry if I did not make myself clear.  I was specifically referring to  plastic fittings and MDPE pipes. My confusion arises when you can buy a plastic fitting for example by Floplast and also a Flopast insert. What im trying to find out is will any plastic insert work with any plastic compression fitting