Site insurance

Aylward

Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for contents insurance. I've already had a quote for site insurance which covers site and caravan. It also covers the building for our newly built garage but not the contents. I'm struggling to get cover for the contents which comes to a value of around £10,000. If anyone out there can help with my situation I would appreciate it. 

@aylward I think we need clarification of your current situation.

Am I correct in assuming you are mid build constructing a house plus garage and the garage is now complete with contents that are both personal domestic possessions in store and building materials for the main house? 

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Yes that is correct. We are just at foundations level for the house at the moment. The garage was built 2yrs ago ready to store our possessions before we demolished the house we lived in. We're living on site in a caravan. Thanks for your reply. 

Ok so you will struggle..!

I would split it out - add tools to your site insurance and keep them separate as they will be better insured under that insurance. 

Add the house contents to the caravan insurance as they are domestic property. 

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Add the house contents to the caravan insurance as they are domestic property

Won’t they expect the contents in the garage to be things normally stored in a garage though? For example my contents insurance includes examples of things stored in the garage so (from my policy)

clothes

BBQ’s

tools

gardening equipment

lawnmowers

freezer contents

domestic fuel and water

I think you might struggle if you try to claim for pretty much all of your worldly goods in the event of a fire in the garage or whatever so you will need to be completely transparent that this is what you are doing. I had an issue getting insurance on my part built house when the self build insurance ran out and I couldn’t renew it. I rang endless companies including the one I eventually obtained a policy from with no joy. In the end I used the ‘Challenge QuoteRack’ section on the following website and within a couple of hours a broker rang me and sourced me a policy. A mainstream insurer but I couldn’t obtain the policy I took out without the help of a broker. Not the same as what you are looking for but worth a shot maybe. 

https://www.quoterack.co.uk/forms/BasicDetailsForm.aspx

The other thing you may want to consider is weighing up the cost of storage vs a non standard insurance policy. 

1 hour ago, Aylward said:

Thankyou very much for your advice I will look into that today. Insurance is a nightmare. Thanks again. 

We’ve no household contents to store but we use our newly built garage age to store tools and equipment to a simalar value to yours

we checked with build one and they told us we would need to fit an alarm Which we did to comply withere conditions