New Wood burning stoves banned

Air pollution plans to tackle wood burners

Ministers want to halve the number of people exposed to high levels of pollution from fine particles, known as particulates, by 2025.

One of the most contentious proposals is to reduce pollution from wood burners, which, along with solid fuels, cause 38% of particulate pollution. 

But a source at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) told the BBC there was no plan to ban existing stoves - or the burning of coal and open wood fires, which are far more polluting than wood burners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44203396

Edited by Triassic

This country is becoming such a sick, lame joke. I almost wish we had a UK version of Trump it’s getting so bad. 

What is more natural than a human burning wood?

Guest Alphonsox
22 minutes ago, K78 said:

Dunno - Maybe a human dying early due to air pollution ? An estimated 40,000 a year.

26 minutes ago, K78 said:

This country is becoming such a sick, lame joke. I almost wish we had a UK version of Trump it’s getting so bad. 

Burning wood is in large part responsible for the state of sub saharan Africa. No trees lead to soil erosion combined with poor rainfall leads to famine.

Plus those of us with compromised lungs are tortured by our neighbours burning wood which impacts on breathing.

• Like 1

Heard a minister being interviewed on this on Radio 4. They plan to give councils the power to ban the burning certain types of fuel only. Wet wood was mentioned as was a high sulphur coal but not all coal.

How they plan to police this god knows. They could ban the sale of unseasoned or wet wood but apparently it will still be legal to sell it. This means trading standards cant just check garage forecourts, wood yards or delivery lorries. It would need a neighbour to complain and then the council EHO would have to come check what you are burning.  My dealings with the EHO on other matters suggest they don't have the time or money to take on more work. Do they even have the powers to search your property?

Putting this on the council is a standard ploy. It allows the government to claim to be doing something yet at the same time blame the councils if it doesn't work out or lots of people complain.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I wonde4 what ever happened to Mikeee and his neighbours who burnt painted wood and old pallets?

50 page thread here on that saga..

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=9305&page=1

Latest is the neighbour was ordered (?) to raise the height of their chimney but they/the court want Mikee to sign a Tomlin Order which as I understand it amounts to an acceptance of the solution. This is discussed at the end of the thread currently page 54.

5 hours ago, Temp said:

Putting this on the council is a standard ploy. It allows the government to claim to be doing something yet at the same time blame the councils if it doesn't work out or lots of people complain.

So true. Regardless of where one stands in this debate it is clear the presentation of this new Government initiative is chaotic. Any policy arising will be incoherent and so ineffective.

Local government is at the bottom of the food chain and cannot answer back, they are to blame for the poor state of adult social care apparently, in another example my local NHS hospital is so cash strapped some months it has to borrow money to pay the wage bill and the central government answer is to send in the CQC to fine the hospital.