6 months leadtime ..I almost SHIPPED a Brick !

Ed_MK

Well, 

I have tried to make sure i get my bricks on time ....The bricklayer is expecting to start as soon
as the frame is up .....so in about 6 weeks (give or take) ...I was told originally that lead time on these bricks

Wienberger Jasmine blend was 3-4 weeks and so rather than crowd a small site up ..i left them until now.

Only to be told today that they have gone into shortage as they are "imported" and given a possible ?

delivery date of mid November 

(groan) ....the only people holding stock in the UK have gone all "Dick Turpin" and want more that £2 a brick now .

to me they are just like a pale reclaim (see image below of a house built with them) ...to my wife they are the 

bees knees however ...

Has anyone seen anything like them ?

brick_finish_jasmine.JPG

22 minutes ago, Ed_MK said:

to me they are just like a pale reclaim (see image below of a house built with them) ...to my wife they are the 

bees knees however ...

The route to finding a chink in your wife's appreciation of bricks is to ask her for the historical origin of the brick she wants. Having then found a much older house representing that origin you can then move forward by finding various modern production bricks inspired by that same historical origin.

thanks peeps

good ideas there

i have asked them have they got enough .....as i hear others like TP and Jewson are waiting for stock :(

Just out of curiousity ....I have had a quote from 3 different brickies 

What would you think is a fair price to lay about 6,000 bricks (and build a fireplace)

I am not sure if this is considered a "tricky" job 

just so you can see it ..(ignore the colours but)

Brick_Render_Areas.jpg

images.jpg

Well i have spoke to a few that are ...and want the work 

But I am getting prices in excess of £10k for labour ONLY

its 6,000 bricks I know ....still......

online estimates say that is too high ....but i know the real world can differ 

(sigh)

we paid ~ 50p/brick and about 70p for laying - 3 years ago.  Shocking to see how much they've gone up by.

Around here now I hear brickies getting up to £30/hr.  About £180/d gets a good brickie normally.

I paid about £6,000 for 10,000 bricks laid - this was for the extra foundations the SE insisted upon so, being foundations, the finish was not important 

These brickies were quite good but slow and my builder insisted he lost money on it - having said that he says he lost money on the whole job despite only doing half a job

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

And what does the planning officer think ..? Don’t they need to be approved ..??

well they have already approved the ones she wants Peter...I was hoping that I could find a close match. ..same but different brand....but alas...not yet. ..but I think I need to source harder the original brick

15 hours ago, bassanclan said:

2 brickies + 1 labourer will cost around £350-450 a day depending on local area, cash payments etc.

They might lay 1250-1750 bricks per day.

Not with a complex structure shown by the OP. For example look at the height of the chimney above first floor level, how many scaffolding lifts, how many site visits to lay a few courses?

Also according to the House Builder's Bible brickies cost a job not on the number of bricks but on the wall elevation square meters including the area of window and door apertures. From a brickie's point of view the OP's fab house design is a never ending saga of openings, pillars and lintels.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PeterW said:

You’ll also need something that has a stretcher available for that sloping detail about 8 courses up

I have been looking for the official name of that buttress type feature, does anyone know what it is called?

I like the example in this image http://www.yorkhandmade.co.uk/files/myimages/heroprod/Kilburn/Kilburn_redwood1.jpg

If you go for one plinth brick you need a 65mm width block on the inside at the back so when it steps in there is something to build on for the rest of the way up.  You can do it with brick on it's side if you can't source  65mm blocks.

Two plinths and a normal block will do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Not with a complex structure shown by the OP. For example look at the height of the chimney above first floor level, how many scaffolding lifts, how many site visits to lay a few courses?

From a brickie's point of view the OP's fab house design is a never ending saga of openings, pillars and lintels.

That is NOT a straightforward bricklaying job, and I'd want the cream of the crop laying them too. Agree that will be at a price, but you should get down to a job price that averages a £1 a brick 

£10k remains very heavy, are these guys brick gods? If their work is immaculate then see if you can get them to reconsider, but if their not gods of the hod then keep looking and let them move on. 

I think it'll be very wise to tell your chosen bricky upfront that you will pay if the job is up to scratch. Let them get a start and inspect the quality. If it's good let them continue, if not it's......

the problem is around here there is SOOO much building going on ..its unreal,

i have heard mention of 650-700 per thousand ! ...

its like Auf Wiedersein pet all over again LOL

Not wanting to drift too far off topic though .....but i just had a little suprise.

I went tout to site, before they tidied for the day and I was looking for where the "padstones"?

are going ...these are under the beams to support the BIG wooden posts that basically hold the house up.

Now on the plans they look quite substantial ...sort of 500x500 set on the concrete footing

But i asked the lads what were those trench blocks (singles) underneath the beam ...and they said thats pad-stones where
the FEET of the timber-frame go/rest 

Am i being anal here or are they a little "under-engineered" ..I mean these trench blocks are really crumbly too 

padstones.jpg

• Like 1

So they take a load from the frame ..? 

If so they are wrong - need to be at least precast 30N padstones as a foundation block isn’t anywhere strong enough. 10N at most. 

Wbats on the drawings and the spec..? And is that a big concrete footing underneath it or just MoT1..?