Phone Line

Hi, I need a phone line installed when I have finished building my house.  The plot is remote with the near east house about 0.5 miles away. 

Can someone advise if I contact Openreach for the infrastructure or do I go though a telephone provider to obtain a quote to have it done?

thanks

21 minutes ago, GrantMcscott said:

Can someone advise if I contact Openreach for the infrastructure or do I go though a telephone provider to obtain a quote to have it done?

If it is a new property you are allowed to contact openreach directly, do that as BT and the other providers are useless.  WHy speak to the chimp when you are allowed to speak to the organ grinder.  Get the line physically installed then speak to the providers.

It's a clumsy process. You contact Open Reach who will work out where to run a line and do the bulk of the work.  If the work is going to cost more more than £3K they will bill you, less than that and it is free.

Then when you are ready to be connected you contact your provider (most likely BT at least to start with) and they will charge you the standard connection charge which was £65 when I had mine connected.

2 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

Hi, I need a phone line installed when I have finished building my house.  The plot is remote with the near east house about 0.5 miles away. 

thanks

Contacting Openreach directly is like trying to contact MI5 directly 

Only harder

Im just in the process of get a phone line

While I’m not as remote you 

We will have to use overhead wire 

Crossing a busy road 

I spoke to BT They have an offer at the moment Commit to 18 months broadband £30 per month Think that’s including line 

£59 new Conections Regardless of distance or difficulty 

Despite wanting to ditch our landline (as we never use it, BB is now on the separate business line I use) we found the PostOffice has the cheapest voice only deal if you want basic connectivity - I think about £12 a month.

When we did the initial re-connection with BT, they waived the fee as we took a 18 Mo BB package.

• Use Quidco to get a decent sign up cash back (I can see deals today from £65 to £210)
  • Order your BT products (or PlusNet / Sky etc...)
  • When the OR crew come to site you can then chat through any specifics -  this is when I discussed using my ducting vs drop wire from pole. The engineer then organised a survey and the conclusion from that was that I'd do my own road work. I let the order lapse, did the work and then did a new order with BT. OR came and were happy to use the wire I'd coiled at the bottom of the pole.

You can't get through to OR directly, they'll only come out once an order is on the system from a service provider.

I needed to get a phone line in from 800 meters away, I went and had a chat with the local office and then loaded in my cable and took it home..... dug it in and only left the two ends and one junction exposed for them to do there thing. They came out and connected me up and that was that. Connection fee and signed up for two years. That was over 5 years ago so probably time I negotiated a new price. 

Service providers and their 'customer service' team are not really equipped to handle anything non-standard.  As nod said, it's easier to contact the A Team, but if you can get hold of the Openreach guys on the ground you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

Got a reply after filling in the OR form:

'm emailing in reply to your recent enquiry about an order at a New Housing Development. I've checked the address and we can't find an order for that property. This Team is only able to monitor and update on the progress of live orders within our system. If you think that you have placed an order, it may have been cancelled in error, so you need to contact your Service Provider to discuss.

If your Service Provider tells you they're unable to place an order (usually because they can't match the address), then you need to ask them if they can use the ‘Bronze Address Matching process' to place an order. An address has to be ‘Gold Matched' before an order can be placed by a Service Provider using the standard process. If an address is only at ‘Silver Matched' stage, this means that it doesn't have a surveyed network routing on our systems and that infrastructure is still ongoing to provide network capacity to the development site. The Bronze Address Matching Process allows an order to be forced through to Openreach for an address that can't be located. It is up to Service Providers if they choose to use the ‘Bronze' process or not, if their systems allow and forcing an order through doesn't particularly speed up the provision of a live connection as infrastructure work has to be completed first, but it does mean that your order would be picked up earlier for an installation appointment once all work to service the site is complete.

So, you can either ask your Service Provider if they can use the ‘Bronze Address Matching Process' or ask them to let you know when they are able to use the standard process. Once you've an order in place, if you need to contact us about it at all, then you'll need to re-submit the enquiry form. We'll keep your Service Provider up to date re the progress of any orders placed.

Thanks,

Openreach Newsite Development Queries Team

So looks like I need to contact BT ?

• Thanks 1