Air Quality

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I wonder how that will impact the sale of wood and coal?

Not sure. My proposed house has three chimneys so time perhaps to reduce that to one working and two false chimney stacks.

Last week about two tons of firewood fell into my hands through a stroke of luck which I should be able to eek out a few years (but to be used only when climatic conditions won't cause regional respiratory distress promise Lizzie).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I wonder how that will impact the sale of wood and coal?

Not at all, I would think. Very few people burn coal these days and most sellers of wood claim that it's dry!

We're thinking of moving to a house that doesn't demand constant grounds maintenance and have been looking at available houses in the vicinity (virtually looking, of course!). It seems that most of the upmarket developments, while claiming low running costs, have a feature wood burner. Complete insanity of course; the heat should be unnecessary, they'll make a mess in the immaculate interiors and the plots are usually to small to have anywhere to store the wood.

One of them had this gem of inept design, whilst claiming to be low energy - built with SIPs and using a GSHP.

new house.JPG

One of my neigbours was  smoking (a lot of) weed at the weekend. It was really quite unpleasant with it drifting across our garden. Imagine that going into your mvhr intake!

• Haha 1

For me, ban wood burners completely, even existing ones (maybe im biased though because it means we can't even have MVHR since smoke is all around us in the winter)!

They are far too dirty for the modern era, people only use them because they are cheap to run!

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

There is a time and a place for a wood burner. In a town or city or the bottom of a sheltered valley may not be it.  But up here in the sparsely populated Highlands, where neighbours are not close, and it's nearly always windy, they really are not a nuisance to neighbours.

Of course any law passed will be based on regulating their use in Central London, then be applied equally everywhere.

• Thanks 1

I can categorically tell you that wood burners are the least of the issue ..! 

NoX and particulate from vehicles is vastly higher than industry which is again vastly higher than domestic emissions. The low hanging fruit is vehicles - this is underway and there is zero desire from UKGov to touch industry so the next target is domestic as it’s an easy hit as there is very little by way of coordinated lobbying at domestic level to push back so it’s an easy win. 

Banning wood burning stoves in domestic environments will make less than 0.1% impact on current levels. 

On 22/05/2018 at 15:39, Onoff said:

One of my neigbours was  smoking (a lot of) weed at the weekend. It was really quite unpleasant with it drifting across our garden. Imagine that going into your mvhr intake!

'one of my neighbours'... Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Banning wood burning stoves in domestic environments will make less than 0.1% impact on current levels. 

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

So where is that 0.1% figure from and what does it relate to.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

There is a time and a place for a wood burner.

Isn't that like claiming there is a time and place for antisocial behaviour i.e football matches, Friday night in a rough pub.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Isn't that like claiming there is a time and place for antisocial behaviour i.e football matches, Friday night in a rough pub.

No. It is more like saying there is a time and place for hot air ballooning e.g. best done 2 hours before sunset and try not to land on the main runway at Heathrow.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

So where is that 0.1% figure from and what does it relate to.

Start with the UK Air Quality database as a source for the data. 

Industry emission data is already available as a source - not sure its publicly available. 

There are a number of data reports around vehicle emissions and NoX / Particulate that give current and forecast. 

Statista will also provide install data and other information pertinent to the calcs. 

NAEI is also worth using for validation - again, it’s all publicly available. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2018 at 09:56, MikeGrahamT21 said:

For me, ban wood burners completely, even existing ones (maybe im biased though because it means we can't even have MVHR since smoke is all around us in the winter)!

They are far too dirty for the modern era, people only use them because they are cheap to run!

Ban completely ? i completely disagree and we don't use a log burner because they are cheap, visually ours enhances our home.

We actually burn these

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/10/briquettes-clean-fuel-fireplace-wood-burning-stove

<10 moisture, burn hot and are made of waste products

But hey, lets burn fossil fuels instead

? 

42 minutes ago, markruth said:

<10 moisture, burn hot and are made of waste products

Is there a figure for PM10 and PM2.5's per kWh energy delivered?

made of waste products 

That is quite worrying, I have some waste timber that is covered in lead paint, shall I bring it over for you to burn?

Ban completely

It is the easy, cheap and best solution to this problem.

Get this weeks New Scientist to read more in the Analysis section. @PeterW shows your assertion of 0.1% to be the bollocks I knew it was.

lets burn fossil fuels instead

We are heading that way and it will happen.  The UK now does not burn much coal for electricity production.  It is a start.

I really wish people would start to accept that wood burning is unnecessary and unacceptable these days.

Edited by SteamyTea

23 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Is there a figure for PM10 and PM2.5's per kWh energy delivered?

That is quite worrying, I have some waste timber that is covered in lead paint, shall I bring it over for you to burn?

It is the easy, cheap and best solution to this problem.

Get this weeks New Scientist to read more in the Analysis section. @PeterW shows your assertion of 0.1% to be the bollocks I knew it was.

We are heading that way and it will happen.  The UK now does not burn much coal for electricity production.  It is a start.

I really wish people would start to accept that wood burning is unnecessary and unacceptable these days.

If you took the time to read the article i posted you will see that sawdust is the primary byproduct that is used, so you can keep you wood

Coal is not the only fossil fuel

How much natural gas

How much Shale gas 

If burning wood is so bad why do Drax use BioFuel for generation in one of the largest BioFuel power stations in the world in Yorkshire

You better go and picket their gates

https://www.drax.com/sustainability/biomass-demand-control/

35 minutes ago, markruth said:

If burning wood is so bad why do Drax use BioFuel for generation

Because the government of the time was ill advised.

36 minutes ago, markruth said:

Coal is not the only fossil fuel

No it isn't, but if the country is going to get serious about air pollution, then that is the first to go, followed by heavy fuel oils, lighter fuel oils, spirit fuels and then gasses.

There has to be a pragmatic approach to all this and using energy delivered per primary energy unit is a pretty good way to go about it.  Timber burning in a domestic stove is one of the worse for a number of reasons.

39 minutes ago, markruth said:

sawdust is the primary byproduct

There are much better uses for saw dust, making sheet material is best.

You are trying to defend the indefensible here, it is a bit like vandalism, it is never alright to cause a tiny bit of wilful damage just because other are doing more, is it.