Which windows

jpinthehouse

A few questions to help narrow down what you're after:

• What are the important factors to you? Look? Cost? Performance? Security? Functionality? etc...
  • How many m2 are you looking to fit?
  • Are they all squares or rectangles? or are you looking for any odd shapes?
  • Outward or inward opening?
  • Any special requirements imposed on you?

Another thing is don’t be drawn by the “standard”. All of the ones we have are inward tilt and turn - the difference being where there are 3 panes it is only the inner pane that opens with the other two being fixed. 

This is goes against the traditional norms but actually looks much better and was also a lot cheaper. 

• 4 weeks later...

Easy question snd yes I would.

I had something like 5 quality window suppliers quote, Rationel were the cheapest and the second best in terms of U value. Only Internorm offered slightly better UW values but at twice the cost. But do shop around, prices vary and someone even once reported Intenorm being cheaper than Rationel.

4 hours ago, vivienz said:

I could be wrong, but I think that @mvincentd is having rationel windows, but I don't think they have been fitted yet.  Worth asking.

Actually it's IdealCombi i'm having, based on both a price/quality balance and a design/aesthetic requirement.

For the record my scenario includes large sliders and tilt/turn floor to ceiling windows.  I wanted every frame to look the same externally including having the same profile dimension, and I wanted as much of my constructed opening as possible to be glass but not at the expense of the first condition (or monumental £expense).  The Futura+ are 53mm across the range.  I lose 18mm to a baton and 12mm tolerance at top/side edge so a total of 83mm per edge....so a constructed opening of 1 metre gives me 834mm of glass.  Velfac were the only others who could seemingly meet these requirements, but actually they are unwilling to meet them in so far as their policy is to only supply the tilt/turns for flats/upper floors juliette balconies!

So i'd say if you know what you want to achieve, different brands design limitations will help you narrow the field.

Chaps - I'm also in a similar position, I actually only need a single window for a loft conversion - pretty standard casement, 1700w x 1200h, alu-clad timber, nothing fancy.

At the moment Rationel and Velfac are quoting £1700 (supply only) for just the one window which just seems bonkers to me!

Can anyone recommend some more companies to approach? (or is £1700 for just one window the going rate?!). Maybe I'm just stuck back in the days of uPVC where I can get a whole house done for £1700!.. I know, I know, it's not an apples for apples comparison.