Asbestos - what we now know,

Weebles

34 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

No, because our demolition is taking place after we submitted out VAT refund. We had been living in the bungalow up to completion of the house. The VAT refund application is now at 13 weeks since submission :(

That doesn’t matter. The VAT refund is not the point that you lose the ability to get zero rated supply and fit, it’s just where you lose the ability to reclaim VAT from HMRC on supply items. The stop point for VAT being zero rated is when the work is ‘complete’ and if demolition is part of the PP you should still be ok for zero rated jobs IMO. You could have got the refund once it was listed for council tax for example which doesn’t mean that the work is complete at that point. 

Here is what it says in VAT Notice 708. Obviously you can’t keep getting zero rated for years but you should be ok for the demolition if the PP states that the building must be removed. 

B951E7CA-F42B-4425-B6A3-16668C5C8385.thumb.jpeg.3811a6f6aec8d6f41ad1889287a0d6e2.jpeg

My reclaim took over 5 months ??

@newhome Apparently we weren't charged VAT for the asbestos removal. Wendy has looked after the accounting side of the build, she's better organised than me with paperwork.

23 minutes ago, newhome said:

My reclaim took over 5 months ??

So potentially still quite a wait for us .

• Like 1

Just now, PeterStarck said:

@newhome Apparently we weren't charged VAT for the asbestos removal. Wendy has looked after the accounting side of the build, she's better organised than me with paperwork.

So potentially still quite a wait for us .

Ah that’s good news then. 

You might get it quicker than me. They queried something on the PP that delayed it for a couple of weeks or so. Mine was all paid out straightaway and it still took 5 months. If anything had been queried it would have taken even longer for those items. 

• Like 1

We weren’t charged VAT either. Total cost of removal was almost £20k.  All the quotes but one came in at the £20k mark. We took the one at £13k. Would have been ok until they discovered more behind every internal wall. On every vertical timber strut that has contact with the wall.  The stuff we knew about from the initial quote was the soffit boards (amosite), roof tile edging (Chrysotile) and the Artex ceilings. 

I am pleased it has all gone though and have never regretted paying the professionals to do the work. 

What I wouldn’t do again is get the same company to demolish. We hadn’t thought it could be two separate contractors (assumed that the removal would part demolish anyway - it didn’t) and thought it would be cost effective to lump it in together. It was not.