What WiFi system?

On 21/12/2021 at 12:20, joth said:

Another happy +1 user of Ubiquiti here, but it is at the higher tech (and cost and complexity to use) end.   I hear good things about the TP-Link mesh products too. 

Could somebody please post a link to what they mean exactly by a Ubiquiti system. I’ve googled, and various different products come up.

The cheapest very-few-compromises setup they provide:

Broadband router (not unifi, obviously)

connected to the brains of the system:

1x https://eu.store.ui.com/products/udm-pro 

connected to a network switch

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-switching/products/usw-lite-16-poe

which provides connection and power to

2x https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-ap-6-lite

Edited by puntloos
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2021 at 16:53, Nickfromwales said:

I was once tempted away from Uniquity WAP’s by a HA company, as they were adamant that Ruckus were a far better device ( at roughly £2x ) but with all of the Ubiquity stuff I’ve installed for clients ( who do not / will not tolerate poor performance / unreliability etc ) has performed way above my expectations. 
I particularly liked one version of their wall mounted AP which has a data throughput socket at the base of the unit. That allowed the 1x Cat6 cable to support the AP but also give an additional data outlet to connect a hard-wired bit of kit to, gleaned off that AP. 
If you have for eg a PC in situ now, plugged into a Cat6 outlet, you could buy this AP and connect the PC back to it whilst creating a WAP point in that location. If it’s not a PoE point now, just use the supplied PoE injector to get the power source for the AP and you’re up and running. 
I’m very happy with ubiquity to date, and just bought a couple of the long range ( not Lite ) AP’s for my own place. Buckets of WiFi off them. 

Oi ! Why you installing technical stuff ? . You’s a plumber !

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, puntloos said:

unifi-ap-6-lite

Just a comment on Wifi 6 (802.11 AX). Personally, I am not going to pay a premium for Wifi 6 and instead wait for 6E, which isn't out yet but will be a huge increase in network throughput compared to 6.

Instead, if I do need to buy my APs before 6E models are available, then I will buy Wifi 5 ones (at much lower cost) and upgrade them  to 6E later.

My advice: get Wifi 5 or 6E and skip 6.

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

Just a comment on Wifi 6 (802.11 AX). Personally, I am not going to pay a premium for Wifi 6 and instead wait for 6E, which isn't out yet but will be a huge increase in network throughput compared to 6.

Instead, if I do need to buy my APs before 6E models are available, then I will buy Wifi 5 ones (at much lower cost) and upgrade them  to 6E later.

My advice: get Wifi 5 or 6E and skip 6.

There's always 'the next thing'. Even if you get 6E, it will be ages before some, let alone most of your devices (both endpoints and network itself) both support *and* need the next gen. Wifi 6 itself offers meaningful improvements over wifi 5 and is supported today (my macbook pro and newest phone both have it). 

So yea, I disagree - not to mention wrt your price point - the unifi wifi6 AP is $99 and the wifi5 one is $89.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I've noticed with the systems that support 'beam forming' is that they seem very good at creating packet loss as the end user moves, for example stuttering WhatsApp calls from a mobile as the user walks around the house. I still have the old UAP-AC-lite APs which over the years have got steadily better and better (especially with roaming between APs) with firmware updates and these don't suffer at all from that issue.