Edpm at edges

"Water Cut Off Mastic is a butyl blend mastic used for sealing membrane edges when creating a compression type termination. Water Cut Off Mastic is extremely tacky and will remain so through its life. It must be used with a termination bar or similar compression type seal.

Intended Uses

Water Cut Off Mastic is primarily used as a sealing agent between various membranes and applicable when membrane is being terminated using a compression.

Features and Benefits
*Extremly Tacky
*Provides a durable compression type seal between various membranes and parapet wall constructions

Coverage Rate
3 linear metres per tube at the recommended application rate of at 11mm bead."

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

"Water Cut Off Mastic is a butyl blend mastic used for sealing membrane edges when creating a compression type termination. Water Cut Off Mastic is extremely tacky and will remain so through its life. It must be used with a termination bar or similar compression type seal.

Intended Uses

Water Cut Off Mastic is primarily used as a sealing agent between various membranes and applicable when membrane is being terminated using a compression.

Features and Benefits
*Extremly Tacky
*Provides a durable compression type seal between various membranes and parapet wall constructions

Coverage Rate
3 linear metres per tube at the recommended application rate of at 11mm bead."

Yep 

They’ve used it for sealing when it shouldn’t be - hence why flashing required 

They genuinely think they’ve done a good job !!

So that stuff needs to be squashed between the membrane and the wall by a bar on the outside of the membrane - which isn’t present in your case ..!

Have you paid them in full as I don’t think the job is complete from what I can see. 

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So that stuff needs to be squashed between the membrane and the wall by a bar on the outside of the membrane - which isn’t present in your case ..!

Have you paid them in full as I don’t think the job is complete from what I can see. 

I paid them , to get rid of them 

I’m about to order the flashing , will install myself . 

God it’s painful to see how things are done by supposed professionals....  the last thing you want is water ingress after your all paved up...... get it flashed and sealed up 100% around those edges or your going to hate yourself in a few years when it starts to let water in.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Frankly it looks crap around the edges, it’s no wonder builders get a bad reputation.

Couldn’t agree more .

I could of ( indeed would of ) done a better job . Anyway ; flashing ordered - let’s see if I can turn a crap job into a reasonable one ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they have used that mastic it never sets so peel back the membrane - plastic scraper may help and some warmth - and chisel off the high points and then stick it back on. Stick some DPM onto the mastic as a temporary measure to stop it getting filled with crud. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well !

i got the first Batton up and begin cutting .

Not going to happen - hardly scratch the stone 

went and bought new diamond blades (£40 each !!! ) zooooooooooommmmmm !!!!!!!!

4FE0B593-B782-40F8-B797-53ED844098B5.jpeg

39D09F9A-48A3-476D-8EE2-183A9BFD2464.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Waiting for flashing to arrive .

what annoys me is that it wasn’t difficult or time consuming ( with a good blade ) .

’Just glue the shit out of everything ‘ - not good practice.

I can see once I have the trim it will kick out in places -.So much primer and glue everywhere can’t easily peel the rubber back .

i guess at the worse spot if it’s just 1cm embedded in the wall is better than none . And yes will CT1 the joints to bits 

Great job, I did this at my Dad's home, flint stone walls. With the right discs its not difficult. Why the professionals did not bother just leaves you with inconvenience ,

no recommendation and continues the complaints about trades people.

• Like 1

So , as you can see from the photos the ‘professionals’ did the edpm really high up this wall I.e it would be visible above the final floor level . ( you can see the level to the right , so why the imbeciles did this I know not )

Ive cut it back - but this goo , glue is all over the stone work - sticky as hell .

whats the best way to get it off ? Acid wash ? ( not now ! Don’t fancy that on the edpm !! )

EEB93913-10A2-4646-9949-69BEBF766350.jpeg

C273CF9A-987F-4C15-BE62-EA5231C0B7BC.jpeg

Not sure what will work, sure someone will be along, truely feel your pain. I am lucky that I am in a situation where I do all my own work or am in charge of volunteers doing jobs for me, if it’s below slandered it’s my fault and mine alone.  

Ffs !

tnt ; next day delivery ; turns up 3 days late . Ordered 3 items , but am expecting 4 parcels ? ; just flashing has turned up 

Just placed it in grove too see - need to cut deeper . Also to get ‘over’ the stone bumps recon I can ‘hammer’ around them and deform the metal . No one ever sees it ?

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Also to get ‘over’ the stone bumps recon I can ‘hammer’ around them and deform the metal . No one ever sees it

Cut the stone front back with an SDS or a chisel - if you have a diamond disk just cut horizontal or vertical slices into then stone and snap the excess out. 

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Cut the stone front back with an SDS or a chisel - if you have a diamond disk just cut horizontal or vertical slices into then stone and snap the excess out. 

Hey Peter 

problem is the rubber is all is all over it . I’d end up cutting it . Could do that and patch it ???? 

Lol - I just texted my wife so was in ‘wife’ mode . At the end of the above message I put kisses . I promptly deleted them ! . Back in buildhub mode ?

• Like 1

Ffs !

tnt ; next day delivery ; turns up 3 days late . Ordered 3 items , but am expecting 4 parcels ? ; just flashing has turned up 

Just placed it in grove too see - need to cut deeper . Also to get ‘over’ the stone bumps recon I can ‘hammer’ around them and deform the metal . No one ever sees it ?

Ok !

got the first length in pretty good ! Over the worse of the lumps 

will stick ct1 all along the top and into the slot 

By pure chance a roofer was parked nearby so I grabbed him . Once he finished laughing he said as the flashing is below my block pavers that I should put a fibre expansion joint in front the flashing . So the concrete stops short and the expansion joint will allow any water that does get in to evaporate otherwise without it I might get the capillary action .

This sound right ?

If so , after googling ; can’t actually find a product ( he said 3m long 3 Inch high )

cheers 

37ACC92F-58DD-4400-BD12-16314FCC7A6B.jpeg

Edited by pocster